land is getting poorer with each passing byyear.

当前位置: >>
Message of the Land
Unit 3 Message of the land Pira SudhamTeaching Objective 1. Listening: news and dictation 2. Speaking: country life/city life 3. Vocabulary: barter, breeze, buffalo, colorful, complain, condemn, crab, craft, dusk, employment, evil, exhausted, fashionable, fate, fertile, forefathers, fortunately, gardener, greed, heal, infancy, insult, lust, litter, monk, pierce, plough, reap, replace, ripen, scarcity, scent, sheaf, shimmer, sickness, spite, strip, surely, textile, toe, ungrateful 4. Grammar: subjunctive mood: if…had, …would have done 5. Writing: city and country lifeⅠBackground Information ⅠBackground Information ?1. Pira Sudham Pira Sudham is considered Thailand's leading English language writer, who was nominated for the 1990 Nobel Prize for Literature. His literary works are concerned with social-economic-political changes occurring in Thailand. Widely read and highly acclaimed, his books have given an expedient voice to the poor and the voiceless.?2. style ?Thestyle of such writing is colloquial, the language straightforward, and the sentencesgenerally short. When we read the text, we feel as if we were sitting face to face with the couple, listening to their stories and experiences, sharing their joys and sorrows.?3. urbanization1 ?Urbanization is the process by which more and more people leave the countryside to live andwork in cities. We find in the farmer and his wife qualities that are shared by many who till the land---love of the land, love of physical labor, and above all, love of family. We are also impressed by their honesty and kindness and by their simple life. Their children, however, are quite different. The way they leave the land is typical of many young people born and brought up in the countryside. They don?t see any attraction in farming and, as soon as possible, leave for the city to seek their fortune. As a result, farming is left to the old people. This is true not only in Thailand but also in many other developing countries. So is in China? ⅡWarm-up activities ? 1. What changes have taken place in the countryside? Do you like such changes? ? 2. What do you think about life in the city? ? 3. What should we do to protect our environment? Ⅲ Detailed study of the text?Para 1 ?1. belong to---be owned by sb ? e.g. This computer belongs to my friend. ?2. …it was I who stayed with my parents till they died. ? … cleft sentence ? it is/was…that/who ? e.g. ?3. My husband moved into our house as is the way with us in Esarn. ? When we got married, my husband came to live in our house. It was the tradition here inEsarn that the bridegroom should come to live with the bride?s family.?“As” here introduces a defining relative clause, and functions as it subject, representing what is stated in the main clause.? e.g. As is the case, he is late for class again. ? As is expected, she won the election. ?4. afford sth/to do sth---have enough money to buy or to do sth ? e.g. I like the watch very much, but I can not afford it/afford to buy it. ?Para 2 ?5. every now and then---from time to time, now and again, occasionally ?6. be off---be away from a place ? e.g. My father will be off to Beijing next week. ?7. I know this is not always true. ? I know they also have difficulties and problems. They just do not tell us because they do notwant us to worry.?8. …it is like a knife piercing my heart. ? …I feel very bad/sad. ?9. It?s easier for my husband. ? News about my children?s problems doesn?t make my husband as sad as me. He doesn?tseem to be bothered by news about my children.?10. He has always been patient and silent, minding his own life.2 ? He has always been patient and talks little. He just does his duty and carries on his life. ?Para 3 ?11. All of them remain my children in spite of their long absence. ? in spite of sth---although sth is true ? e.g. The children went to to play in spite of the cold. ? Although they are often away for a long time, I love and care about them as always becausethey are my children.?12. Our piece of land is small, and it is no longer fertile, bleeding year after year, and like us,getting old and exhausted.? ? ?tired.year after year---every year for many years day after day, week after week Our land is getting poorer with each passing year, like us who are getting old, weak and?13. …but in a bad year, it?s not only the ploughs that break, but our hearts, too. ? …but when there is a drought/flood, the soil is so hard that the ploughs break. And webecome very, very sad.? ?…but our hearts---the verb is omitted to avoid repetition. break---ploughs?Para 4 ?14. barter for things---exchange one thing for another. ?15. replace---take the place of ?16. no longer, not any longer, not any more ?17. used to do ? get used to doing sth, get accustomed to doing sth. ?18. spring up---appear?19. fill---be filled with, be full of ?20. old-fashioned---out of date, out-dated, out of fashion ?21. In my day, if I were to put on a pair of trousers like they do now, lightning would strike me. ? in one?s day---when one was young ? lightning, lightening ? When I was young, I surely would be punished by God if I ever wore trousers like that. ? It was improper for girls to wear such trousers in those days.?Para 5 ?22. …but certain things should not change. ? …but we shouldn?t abandon/give up certain things. ? ---duty to our parents, religious beliefs, sympathy for others. ?23. tend to do sth---be likely to do sth ?Para 6 ?24. the other day---several days ago ?25. shout at ? shout to sb---speak loudly ?26. If that kind of thing had happened when I way young, the ?if …had done, …would have donewhole village would have condemned such an ungrateful son, and his father would surely have given him a good beating.3 ?Para 7 ?27. As for me, I wouldn?t change, couldn?t change even if I wanted to. ? I don?t think I would change like that, and it would be impossible for me to change even ifI wanted to.?28. occur to sb---come into one?s mind ? A happy thought occurred to me while I was surfing the Internet. ?29. Yes, this bag of bones dressed in rags can still plant and reap rice from morning till dusk. ? a bag of bones--- a very thin person ? in rags---wearing old torn clothes ?30. Disease, wounds, hardship and scarcity have always been part of my life. I don?t complain ? complain about/of ? complain to sb ? All my life I have suffered from disease, injuries, hardship and shortage of life?snecessities, and I?ve become used to them. I don?t complain because I know that?s life.?Para 8 ?31. My ?wife is wrong. My eyes do see---they see more than they should. My ears do hear---they hear more than is good for me. I?m not what my wife says I am. I do see and hear---I see and hear too much evil, too many ugly and terryile things, things that I wish I did not have to see and hear. And this is not good for me.?32. I know for example, greed, anger, and lust are the root of all evils. ? I know these things lead to/result in evils. ?Para 9 ?33. be peace with sth---face sth peacefully ?34. force sth on/upon sb---cause sb to accept sth that they do not want ? force sb to do sth ?Para 10 ?35. I know every inch of it. ? every inch of sth/somewhere---all of a thing or a place ? I know our land thoroughly. ?36. Still the land could not tie them down or call them back. ? tie sb down---limit sb?s freedom ? My children grew up and had happy days on this land. But this couldn?t prevent themfrom leaving or from wanting to return.?37. When each of them has a pair of jeans, they are off like birds on the wing. ? like birds on the wing---a simile meaning ?like birds that have learned to fly? ? As soon as they have the chance, they just go away. ?Para 11 ?38. be/get back on one?s feet---became in a healthy condition after an illness or injury ?39. come and go---exist or happen somewhere for a short time and then go away ?40. earth, soil, land ?41. …so that I can pass on the land?s secret messages to them. ? … so that I can tell them what this land means to us. It is our history, our culture,our4 tradition and our life.?Ⅳ Structure analysis?Part One: (paras 1-7) She briefly tells us about each member of her family and how all herchildren left.?Part Two: (paras 8-11) The rest deals with the changes that she finds she can?t adjust to. Thefarmer?s speech is shorter, but touches something deeper- what he thinks are the roots of all evils. ⅤExercises5
更多搜索:
All rights reserved Powered by
文档资料库内容来自网络,如有侵犯请联系客服。综合英语sentence paraphrase1_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
综合英语sentence paraphrase1
阅读已结束,下载文档到电脑
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,方便使用
还剩5页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历