“Mormont said as we should track lightgsdledthem, and we did,” Gared said.中as的作用

网易云音乐
很抱歉,你要查找的网页找不到
网易公司版权所有(C)杭州乐读科技有限公司运营: 上传我的文档
 下载
 收藏
粉丝量:14
该文档贡献者很忙,什么也没留下。
 下载此文档
正在努力加载中...
ASongofIceandFire01-AGameofThronesv2.0
下载积分:3000
内容提示:ASongofIceandFire01-AGameofThronesv2.0
文档格式:PDF|
浏览次数:7|
上传日期: 19:12:17|
文档星级:
全文阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用
 3000 积分
下载此文档
该用户还上传了这些文档
ASongofIceandFire01-AGameofThronesv2.0
关注微信公众号拥有1个小站,订阅0个话题,关注1个小站
http://www.npr.org///zeroing-in-on-those-who-sowed-seeds-of-chinas-economic-boom
July 18, 20134:00 AM
July 18, 2013&4:00 AM
5 min 2 sec
Renee Montagne talks to China scholars Orville Schell and John DeLury about their new book,&Wealth and Power: China's Long March to the 21st Century.&It examines the roots of China's recent economic development boom.
Copyright & 2013 NPR. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And for Americans trying to understand how China has risen so far so fast, we turn now to Orville Schell and his fellow China scholar John DeLury. Their new book is "Wealth and Power: China's Long March to the 21 Century." It looks back at the original documents and writings that reveal the thinking of 11 key figures in China's modern past, from a famous satirist to a dowager empress to Mao. And it zeros in on the reformers who sowed the seeds of the current boom.
Good morning to both of you.
JOHN DELURY: Good morning.
ORVILLE SCHELL: Good morning.
MONTAGNE: Let me start with you, John DeLury. Where do you place the start of China's stunning economic development?
DELURY: Well, what we tried to do is look at least back into the early 19th century, because that was a period where China began its descent from greatness. It hit this skid starting with the First Opium War around 1840 and then continuing, one defeat after the other. So that's where we sort of pick up the story, is to show how there were these efforts to bring back wealth and power. One after another we traced how they fail until finally something starts to click very recently, in the last 30 years. So we think it's critical to understanding why this recent period of rises for Chinese restoration.
SCHELL: The question we really wanted to ask was, what is it that is flowing throughout this period that suddenly catalyzes in the 1980s and you get this extraordinary, very counterintuitive and unexpected period of economic dynamism. And one of the things that just keeps reappearing is this fixation on restoration of Chinese greatness that's sort of represented by these two characters - Fu Chun(ph) - for wealth and power. And it's that memory of that loss which is so deep and is now being we expressed with all this energy.
MONTAGNE: Your book points out that when it comes to that loss, I mean many other countries build national pride based on achievements and victories throughout their history. Chinese leaders have long nurtured a sense of humiliation and victimization. How did this come to dominate the national psyche? I mean - and also, how does that play into drive for economic development?
DELURY: You know, there's a different concept of shame among these reformers in the Chinese tradition. They're actually actively seeking to make the people feel humiliated. And this is a very old Confucian idea that humiliation is the source of strength. That once you realize your inferiority that's when you really begin to work at self-improvement. So that was an ancient notion that you can find 2000 years ago, being discussed in China. And it explodes in the modern period among these groups of thinkers and leaders that we look at, and that's very critical to understand because otherwise, the victimization complex doesn't make as much sense. You know, it's it's really a stimulant rather than a depressant.
MONTAGNE: And something else you bring up, China's new president Xi Jinping has started talking about something called The China Dream. Where does this lie along the continuum of China's quest for wealth and power and doesn't have anything in common with the American dream?
SCHELL: Well, that's a really wonderful question, and I mean The China Dream is sort of the mantra now in China. If you go to China, everybody is talking about The China Dream. But what is it? Well, nobody really has defined it yet. But I think one can say that it's quite different from the American dream, because what it sort of plays upon are these yearnings within C again, not so much for Horatio Alger to pull himself up individual but for China as a country, as a nation, to pull itself up by its bootstraps and to be once again not only wealthy and powerful but a nation of consequence and to win respect.
MONTAGNE: Are they there? Have they achieved The China Dream? I mean are they at least on the edge of achieving The China Dream?
SCHELL: Well, it's interesting to ask. Of course, for history there is never any there there, it always moves on. But one would have to say, I think, that if you just stop history right now, they've had a hell of a run. I mean many, many problems, one could catalog them all. But the last 30 years has laid down a kind of an infrastructure in China, which for the next century is going to provide an incomparable, you know, base for them to continue.
MONTAGNE: China scholars, John Delury and Orville Schell are authors of the new book, "Wealth and Power: China's Long March to the 21st Century." Thanks very much for joining us.
SCHELL: Pleasure.
DELURY: Thank you.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: You're listening to MORNING EDITION from NPR News.
Copyright & 2013 NPR. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to NPR. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.
China Unveils (推出)Massive Building & With Fake Beach, Fake Sun
byKRISHNADEV CALAMUR
July 11, 20131:47 PM
China Unveils &(推出)Massive Building & With Fake Beach, Fake Sun
by&KRISHNADEV CALAMUR
July 11, 2013&1:47 PM
A view of the New Century Global Center in Chengdu, China. The structure & located in a suburb of Chengdu, in southwest China's Sichuan province & is home to an indoor beach and a faux Mediterranean village.
Barcroft Media/Landov
The Chinese are&&the New Century Global Center, which opened in late June in Chengdu, the world's largest stand-alone structure.
A view of a section of the Paradise Island Water Park, which features an artificial beach, in the New Century Global Center in Chengdu, China.
Barcroft Media/Landov
Inside,&&shop, stay at either of two 1,000-room luxury hotels, go to a skating rink, or even a fake beach or fake Mediterranean village all lit by a&.
It isn't the world's tallest building & that honor belongs to Dubai's Burj K nor is it the largest & that's the Boeing Everett Factory in Everett, Wash. What the New Century Global Center appears to be is the world's biggest building by&. Just how big is it?
Well, inside it you can fit ...
... 20 of these
Sydney Opera House in Australia
David Davies/PA Photos/Landov
four of these ...
St. Peter's Square at the Vatican(梵蒂冈)
Matteo Losito/AP
and three of these ...
The Pentagon building, outside Washington, D.C.
Jason Reed/Reuters/Landov
Now, if the name Chengdu, China, sounds familiar, it's probably because you recall it as the scene of the&&in 2008, which killed nearly 70,000 people. Much of that area has been rebuilt in the five years after the quake &&.
PROLOGUE We should start back,& Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. &The wildlings are dead.& &Do the dead frighten you?& Ser Waymar Royce asked with just the ...&
PROLOGUE& &We should start back,& Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. &The wildlings are dead.&& &&Do the dead frighten you?& Ser Waymar Royce asked with just the hint of a smile.& &Gared did not rise to the bait(诱饵). He was an old man, past fifty, and he had seen the lordlings come and go. &Dead is dead,& he said. &We have no business with the dead.&& &&Are they dead?& Royce asked softly. &What proof have we?&& &&Will saw them,& Gared said. &If he says they are dead, that&s proof enough for me.&& &Will had known they would drag him into the quarrel sooner or later. He wished it had been later rather than sooner. &My mother told me that dead men sing no songs,& he put in.& &&My wet nurse said the same thing, Will,& Royce replied. &Never believe anything you hear at a woman&s tit. There are things to be learned even from the dead.& His voice echoed, too loud in the twilit forest.& &&We have a long ride before us,& Gared pointed out. &Eight days, maybe nine. And night is falling.&& &Ser Waymar Royce glanced at the sky with disinterest. &It does that every day about this time. Are you unmanned(失去男子气概) by the dark, Gared?&& &Will could see the tightness around Gared&s mouth, the barely suppressed anger in his eyes under the thick black hood(头巾) of his cloak. Gared had spent forty years in the Night&s Watch, man and boy, and he was not accustomed to being made light of. Yet it was more than that. Under the wounded pride, Will could sense something else in the older man. Y a nervous tension that came perilous(危险) close to fear.& &Will shared his unease. He had been four years on the Wall. The first time he had been sent beyond, all the old stories had come rushing back, and his bowels(大便) had turned to water. He had laughed about it afterward. He was a veteran of a hundred rangings by now, and the endless dark wilderness that the southron called the haunted forest had no more terrors for him.& &Until tonight. Something was different tonight. There was an edge to this darkness that made his hackles(颈部的毛) rise. Nine days they had been riding, north and northwest and then north again, farther and farther from the Wall, hard on the track of a band of wildling raiders(入侵者). Each day had been worse than the day that had come before it. Today was the worst of all. A cold wind was blowing out of the north, and it made the trees rustle like living things. All day, Will had felt as though something were watching him, something cold and implacable that loved him not. Gared had felt it too. Will wanted nothing so much as to ride hellbent(疾驰) for the safety of the Wall, but that was not a feeling to share with your commander.& &Especially not a commander like this one.& &Ser Waymar Royce was the youngest son of an ancient house with too many heirs. He was a handsome youth of eighteen, grey-eyed and graceful and slender as a knife. Mounted on his huge black destrier(军马), the knight towered above Will and Gared on their smaller garrons(载重小马). He wore black leather boots, black woolen pants, black moleskin gloves, and a fine supple coat of gleaming black ringmail over layers of black wool and boiled leather. Ser Waymar had been a Sworn Brother of the Night&s Watch for less than half a year, but no one could say he had not prepared for his vocation. At least insofar as his wardrobe was concerned.& &His cloak wa sable, thick and black and soft as sin. &Bet he killed them all himself, he did,& Gared told the barracks over wine, &twisted their little heads off, our mighty(强大的) warrior.& They had all shared the laugh.& &It is hard to take orders from a man you laughed at in your cups, Will reflected as he sat shivering atop his garron. Gared must have felt the same.& &&Mormont said as we should track them, and we did,& Gared said. &They&re dead. They shan&t trouble us no more. There&s hard riding before us. I don&t like this weather. If it snows, we could be a fortnight(十四天) getting back, and snow&s the best we can hope for. Ever seen an ice storm, my lord?&& &The lordling seemed not to hear him. He studied the deepening twilight in that half-bored, half-distracted way he had. Will had ridden with the knight long enough to understand that it was best not to interrupt him when he looked like that. &Tell me again what you saw, Will. All the details. Leave nothing out.&& &Will had been a hunter before he joined the Night&s Watch. Well, a poacher(偷猎者) in truth. Mallister freeriders had caught him red-handed in the Mallisters& own woods, skinning one of the Mallisters& own bucks(公鹿), and it had been a choice of putting on the black or losing a hand. No one could move through the woods as silent as Will, and it had not taken the black brothers long to discover his talent.& &&The camp is two miles farther on, over that ridge(山脊), hard beside a stream,& Will said. &I got close as I dared. There&s eight of them, men and women both. No children I could see. They put up a lean-to against the rock. The snow&s pretty well covered it now, but I could still make it out. No fire burning, but the firepit was still plain as day(明显). No one moving. I watched a long time. No living man ever lay so still.&& &&Did you see any blood?&& &&Well, no,& Will admitted.& &&Did you see any weapons?&& &&Some swords, a few bows. One man had an axe. Heavy-looking, double-bladed, a cruel piece of iron. It was on the ground beside him, right by his hand.&& &&Did you make note of the position of the bodies?&& &Will shrugged. &A couple are sitting up against the rock. Most of them on the ground. Fallen, like.&& &&Or sleeping,& Royce suggested.& &&Fallen,& Will insisted. &There&s one woman up an ironwood, half-hid in the branches. A far-eyes.& He smiled thinly. &I took care she never saw me. When I got closer, I saw that she wasn&t moving neither.& Despite himself, he shivered(打颤).& &&You have a chill?& Royce asked.& &&Some,& Will muttered. &The wind, m&lord.&& &The young knight turned back to his grizzled man-at-arms. Frostfallen leaves whispered past them, and Royce&s destrier moved restlessly. &What do you think might have killed these men, Gared?& Ser Waymar asked casually. He adjusted the drape of his long sable(黑貂) cloak.& &&It was the cold,& Gared said with iron certainty. &I saw men freeze last winter, and the one before, when I was half a boy. Everyone talks about snows forty foot deep, and how the ice wind comes howling(咆哮/hover飞翔) out of the north, but the real enemy is the cold. It steals up on(偷袭) you quieter than Will, and at first you shiver and your teeth chatter and you stamp(跺脚) your feet and dream of mulled wine and nice hot fires. It burns, it does. Nothing burns like the cold. But only for a while. Then it gets inside you and starts to fill you up, and after a while you don&t have the strength to fight it. It&s easier just to sit down or go to sleep. They say you don&t feel any pain toward the end. First you go weak and drowsy(昏睡), and everything starts to fade, and then it&s like sinking into a sea of warm milk. Peaceful, like.&& &&Such eloquence, Gared,& Ser Waymar observed. &I never suspected you had it in you.&& &&I&ve had the cold in me too, lordling.& Gared pulled back his hood(头巾), giving Ser Waymar a good long look at the stumps(残余部分、原意:树桩) where his ears had been. &Two ears, three toes, and the little finger off my left hand. I got off light. We found my brother frozen at his watch, with a smile on his face.&& &Ser Waymar shrugged. &You ought dress more warmly, Gared.&& &Gared glared at the lordling, the scars around his ear holes flushed red with anger where Maester Aemon had cut the ears away. &We&ll see how warm you can dress when the winter comes.& He pulled up his hood and hunched(缩成一团) over his garron, silent and sullen(愠怒).& &&If Gared said it was the cold?.?.?.?& Will began.& &&Have you drawn any watches this past week, Will?&& &&Yes, m&lord.& There never was a week when he did not draw a dozen bloody watches. What was the man driving at?& &&And how did you find the Wall?&& &&Weeping(滴水),& Will said, frowning. He saw it clear enough, now that the lordling had pointed it out. &They couldn&t have froze. Not if the Wall was weeping. It wasn&t cold enough.&& &Royce nodded. &Bright lad. We&ve had a few light frosts(受冻) this past week, and a quick flurry(疾风) of snow now and then, but surely no cold fierce enough to kill eight grown men. Men clad(穿) in fur and leather, let me remind you, with shelter near at hand, and the means of making fire.& The knight&s smile was cocksure(确信). &Will, lead us there. I would see these dead men for myself.&& &And then there was nothing to be done for it. The order had been given, and honor bound them to obey.& &Will went in front, his shaggy(毛发杂乱) little garron picking the way carefully through the undergrowth. A light snow had fallen the night before, and there were stones and roots and hidden sinks lying just under its crust(外表), waiting for the careless and the unwary. Ser Waymar Royce came next, his great black destrier snorting(用鼻子吸气) impatiently. The warhorse was the wrong mount for ranging, but try and tell that to the lordling. Gared brought up the rear(殿后). The old man-at-arms muttered to himself as he rode.& &Twilight deepened. The cloudless sky turned a deep purple, the color of an old bruise, then faded to black. The stars began to come out. A half-moon rose. Will was grateful for the light.& &&We can make a better pace than this, surely,& Royce said when the moon was full risen.& &&Not with this horse,& Will said. Fear had made him insolent(无礼). &Perhaps my lord would care to take the lead?&& &Ser Waymar Royce did not deign to reply.& &Somewhere off in the wood a wolf howled.& &Will pulled his garron over beneath an ancient gnarled ironwood and dismounted(下马).& &&Why are you stopping?& Ser Waymar asked.& &&Best go the rest of the way on foot, m&lord. It&s just over that ridge.&& &Royce paused a moment, staring off into the distance, his face reflective. A cold wind whispered through the trees. His great sable cloak stirred(搅动) behind like something half-alive.& &&There&s something wrong here,& Gared muttered.& &The young knight gave him a disdainful smile. &Is there?&& &&Can&t you feel it?& Gared asked. &Listen to the darkness.&& &Will could feel it. Four years in the Night&s Watch, and he had never been so afraid. What was it?& &&Wind. Trees rustling(莎莎). A wolf. Which sound is it that unmans you so, Gared?& When Gared did not answer, Royce slid gracefully from his saddle. He tied the destrier securely to a low-hanging limb, well away from the other horses, and drew his longsword from its sheath(刀鞘). Jewels glittered in its hilt(柄), and the moonlight ran down the shining steel. It was a splendid(极好的) weapon, castle-forged, and new-made from the look of it. Will doubted it had ever been swung in anger.& &&The trees press close here,& Will warned. &That sword will tangle(纠缠) you up, m&lord. Better a knife.&& &&If I need instruction, I will ask for it,& the young lord said. &Gared, stay here. Guard the horses.&& &Gared dismounted. &We need a fire. I&ll see to it.&& &&How big a fool are you, old man? If there are enemies in this wood, a fire is the last thing we want.&& &&There&s some enemies a fire will keep away,& Gared said. &Bears and direwolves and?.?.?.?and other things?.?.?.?&& &Ser Waymar&s mouth became a hard line. &No fire.&& &Gared&s hood shadowed his face, but Will could see the hard glitter in his eyes as he stared at the knight. For a moment he was afraid the older man would go for his sword. It was a short, ugly thing, its grip discolored by sweat, its edge nicked from hard use, but Will would not have given an iron bob for the lordling&s life if Gared pulled it from its scabbard.& &Finally Gared looked down. &No fire,& he muttered, low under his breath.& &Royce took it for acquiescence and turned away. &Lead on,& he said to Will.}

我要回帖

更多关于 17track 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信