playing football ithanks for playingthe young.中为什么用playing而不用play

At school, what he enjoys football. A. playing B. to play C. is playing D. played [解析]选C wha——精英家教网——
暑假天气热?在家里学北京名师课程,
At school, what he enjoys football. A. playing B. to play C. is playing D. played [解析]选C what he enjoys为主语从句.谓语动词为be.表语为playing football.不要误以为playing是enjoy的宾语而误选A. 【】
题目列表(包括答案和解析)
Students often meet with questions as follows: bullied by someone, worried about a weak subject, puzzled by family problems or concerned about pets at home. All the questions above may make you not concentrated on your study. Who can you turn to if you are such an unlucky student? A great person to share your thoughts and feelings with is your school counselor(顾问). Add school counselors to the list of people you can turn to when you need help. They know how to listen and can help kids with life’s challenges (挑战) . Counselors have special training in how to help kids solve problems, make decisions, and stand up for themselves. That doesn’t means your counselor will wave a magic wand and the problem will go away. But it does mean he or she will help you cope with (应付) it. Coping is an important word to know. Sometimes, kids and grown-ups have difficult problems. Coping means that someone is trying to handle these problems and make things better. Your school counselor is available for you and wants to make your school experience the best it can be. The counselor’s job is to take your problem seriously and help you find a solution. The counselor also wants to help you learn as much as you can in class, be a contributing member of the school community, and be a positive influence on your environment.60. From the underlined sentences we may infer that ______.A. school counselor is one of those who can help youB. school counselors are those you can make friends withC. one needs various people to help him or herD. one has to know and deal with all kinds of people at school61. According to the passage, which of the following happens that you may not turn to the counselors? A. Other students treat you cruelly.&&&&& B. You are too poor to go school C. You are weak in one subject&&&&&&&& D. You have family problems.62. What does the writer think of the school counselors? A. They can solve any question you meet with B. They can help students get their life or study improved. C. They are as important as teachers at school. D. They may punish those who have bullied you63. Which of the following may be the best title of the passage? _____. A. School counselors&& B. School problems&& C. Students’ problems&&&& D. Free counselors
短文改错此题要求改正所给短文中的错误。对标有题号的每一行作出判断:如无错误,在该行右边横线上画一个勾(∨);如有错误(每行只有一个错误),则按下列情况改正:此行多一个词:把多余的词用斜线(\)划掉,在该行右边横线上写出该词,并也用斜线划掉。此行缺一个词:在缺词处加一个漏字符号(∧),在该行右边横线上写出该加的词。此行错一个词:在错的词下划一横线,在该行右边横线上写出改正后的词。注意:1)原行没有错的不要改。2) 不按要求做不得分。I have to get up at 5 in the morning every61.&&&&&&&&&&day because of it was a have-to for me to62.&&&&&&&&&&cover 15 kilometer to reach my school to63.&&&&&&&&&&start a day’s learning like a primary kid.64.&&&&&&&&&&It means that I spend at least 4 hours65.&&&&&&&&&&going to and from the school daily. It66.&&&&&&&&&&was real hard but I felt happy because at67.&&&&&&&&&&least I can study at school. My teacher68.&&&&&&&&&&told me that by study hard I would have69.&&&&&&&&&&the chance to get out the poor mountain70.&&&&&&&&&&village, which I strongly believed and was very thankful then.
(6)阅读理解It is time for students to sell such things as chocolate bars and greeting cards to raise money for their school, class or club. It is inevitable that they will knock on your door and you will easily hand ever your cash for overpriced items that you really do not want. That is okay, though, because there are many reasons why children should be allowed to raise money for their schools and clubs.Fundraising(自筹资金) is a great way to help children learn social skills. It is not easy to go up to a complete stranger and ask them for their money. They have to nicely ask for help, show the interested buyer what they have to offer and explain how it will help them in school. If someone refuses to buy an item, that child has to take the failure in stride(从容处理), and that is a learning lesson as well.Students can learn how to deal with money by fundraising. Of course, it might seem safer for us to take charge of our children’s earnings from their fundraising before it is turned in to the school. However, by making them keep track of it, count it, and make sure everyone pays the right amount, they are learning an important lesson. Dealing with money is important to know about when they are older.Fundraising helps improve their schools. It is the child’s school. They have to learn there and grow there. Why not let them help in making it a better place? When one of our local schools lacked funding for sports, the students and parents joined hands to raise that money needed. When they succeeded, they felt they accomplished something important.Fundraising allows for more life experiences for the child. Most fundraising is done for individual classes and clubs. The raised money is used towards things like parties, trips. The children receive the rewards for their hard work at raising the money. Without fundraising, these field trips and special school memories would be missed. In a word, fundraising helps children a lot in many ways.1. We can infer that the author is probably a&&&&&& . A. manager&& B. student&& C. parent&&& D. officer2. What is the main idea of this passage? A. Children should be allowed to fundraise. B. Fundraising is good for both families and children. C. Children should learn to deal with money. D. Children should be taught how to fundraise.3. Which of the following is not the benefits of fundraising by students? A. It’s a good way to gain social skills for students. B. Students can master the skills in financing through it. C. It can help students get high mark at school. D. It gives students many valuable life experiences.4. The author thinks that fundraising&&&&&&&& . A. adds to the family’s burden&&&&&&& B. wastes the learning time C. cultivates the children’s character&& D. builds up the children’s bodies5. Which of the following shows the structure of the passage? CP: Central point&& P: Point&&& Sp: Sub-point(次要点)&& C: ConclusionD&C&B&A&
EIs early childhood education really necessary? Early childhood education primarily focuses on learning through playing to develop the child’s physical, sensory, communicational and social development.Early childhood education has become a concern of the government, who pushes poor children to be formally trained before they are old enough for Kindergarten.There are good reasons for the government to push early childhood education.Studies have shown that orphaned children who did not receive good care and education become developmentally delayed causing failure in school, and even in life.Further studies show that poor children who take part in Head Start programs are more prepared for school, less likely to end up in&&&Special Education classes, and are less likely to receive public help or go to jail.There are also negative parts to putting a child in formal education programs too early.Time Magazine online explains that “the younger the child the less his chances of catching up with first-grade work.” I have personally witnessed many children of my generation who went to Head Start programs become frustrated and bored with school before they finished high school.Yet parents have been sure that the earlier the child starts school, the better off he or she is, so they push to start children earlier.Actually while early formal education of poor children does show great gains in the early elementary years, studies also show that this head start is really a “false start”, as the gains are lost in middle and high school years.It seems that environment is a bigger factor on life’s success than early education.Head Start programs have not achieved its original goal in closing the achievement gap in poor and middle school children.Perhaps it is time to find other ways to close that gap.71.The purpose of the government valuing the early childhood education is ________. A.to develop the children’s communication A.to give orphaned children good care and education C.to get the children prepared for the kindergarten D.to train the children formally and regularly72.According to the studies, which of the following is True? A.Children with good early education may have a rich life. B.The orphaned children are usually unhappy in their life. C.Children without early education can do well at school. D.Head Start programs are helpful to the poor children.73.“the younger the child the less his chances of catching up with first-grade work.” suggests that _________. A.the early childhood education is helpless to the child’s grade B.it is good for the young children to receive early education C.the early education can help the children follow the grade D.the younger the children are, the cleverer they will be 74 The author’s attitude toward the early childhood education is _________. A.puzzling&&&&&& B.objective&&&&& C.indifferent&&& D.approving75.The main idea of the last passage is that __________. A.the early childhood education is very necessary B.Head Start programs have helped the children a lot C.environment is the most important to life’s success D.better ways should be found to help the poor children
Healthy eating habits are one of the most important lessons a child learns. Parents can make a plan of action for each child’s nutritional needs.Creating healthy habitsBreakfast is necessary to provide the nutrition and energy for an active day. Studies show that children do better in school when they begin the day with breakfast.Include your child as much as possible in meal planning and preparation. He is more likely to eat food that he has helped put on the table. Cooking at home and at school encourages curiosity and motivation to try new foods.The mealtime enviroment has a lot to do with how your child will feel about food. Try to keep the time and location of your meals consistent. Keep the meal itself as the main event by reserving the use of toys, telephone calls and television for later.Help them regard food such as fruit as being important every day, and other food such as chips as being an occasional treat. Prepare food in a variety of ways.SnacksSnacks provide necessary energy for children between meals. Be sure to have plenty of healthy snack choices such as fruit and yogurt available at these times. Snacks should not replace a meal but provide a valuable supplement.【小题1】The passage is written mainly to&&&&&&&&A.teach children to develop good eating habits.B.exchange ideas with experienced parentsC.learn about children’s food preferrencesD.offer parents some useful suggestions【小题2】A child is more likely to try new foods&&&&&&A.when he spends time with other children B.if he helps prepare the food himselfC.after he has had an active dayD.when he has no snacks【小题3】The underlined word “reserving” most probably means&&&&&&&&A.putting intoB.calling forC.talking aboutD.setting aside【小题4】What would be the best title for the passage?A.You are what you eatB.Cook dinner for your childC.Healthy eating for kidsD.Pleasure in everyday meals
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号The Watch and the Whistle -- A Primer for Youth Soccer Referees
The Watch and the Whistle
A Primer for Youth Soccer Referees
by Christopher Seiwald
Christopher Seiwald.
You may use this work in any way as
long as you cite the title and author as the original source.
Last updated 1/14/17 to reflect the 2016 changes to LOTG, marked in this color.
Each section has one of three forms:
Background Information: non-procedural information
that should roll around your head
Practical Procedures: practical procedures and
mechanics not related to the Laws of the Game
Laws and Mechanics: the Laws of the Game, retold,
along with mechanics
This is the Long Version with all the sections.
There is also
that includes only the five Practical Procedures
Practical Procedures
To referee you should be able to keep up with the play, and that
means walking, jogging, and sometimes sprinting.
If you are
otherwise out of shape, run a mile or two a few times during
You can get fancy and practice running backwards and sideways,
as you'll do a fair bit of that on the field as well.
Get the clothes
You need the uniform to referee:
no one believes you without it.
You need the official shirt and socks, and passable shorts and
If you are only going to get one shirt, it will be probably be
the default yellow, but see what color is most often used in
your league.
It is supposed to contrast with the players.
They also come in red, black, blue, and green.
To be really
spot on, you'll want all of them so that you can coordinate
(hopefully in advance) with the other two referees.
The shirts
have a velcro patch over the left pocket where you affix your
referee badge (with the current year on it).
The socks are long black ones with either 3 white stripes across
the top or the USSF logo across the calf, and they are usually
meant to fold over at the top.
Plain black shorts work, but the ones made for referees have the
big pockets you need to carry around the player passes and coin.
You should wear turf shoes or cleats, and they should be mostly
White sneakers go as well with a referee uniform as they
do with a business suit.
Keep your shoes clean.
Tuck your shirt in.
Make sure your socks
Respect sta the better prepared and
dressed you are when you walk on the field the more the teams will
honor your game.
have all you need,
but you'll probably want to try shoes on at a local sporting goods
Get the equipment
You'll need Red & Yellow Cards and two flags made for refereeing,
and then a watch, a whistle, a pen, a coin, and a water bottle.
The Red & Yellow Cards are specialized.
I keep the Yellow in
my right front pants pocket, and the Red in my right back pants
Some refs keep the Yellow in their shirt pocket.
them separate is a good idea -- it's embarrassing to fumble or to
get the wrong one.
When you're the center referee you supply the two flags for the
ARs to use.
These are made for soccer, and the cheap ones
seem to work as well as the fancy ones.
An easy-to-read watch with a stopwatch timer is a good start, but
you might move up to sports stopwatch.
Prepared referees will wear
two in case one goes out, even though it looks a little funny.
Selecting a whistle is pretty trivial, but there are two things to
keep in mind: first, if you are next to another field, you might
need a different sounding whistle to avoid confusing the players.
Second, a whistle with a pea in it can jam after lots of (salivating)
There are things more embarrassing than having your whistle
wimper, but a pea-less whistle doesn't jam.
If you're like me,
you'll start with one whistle and eventually work up a collection.
If you're not used to blowing a whistle, you probably won't blow
it hard enough.
Practice once with a friend someplace outside.
There are whistles with neck lanyards, wrist lanyards, and
fingerclips.
I've tried all three (the neck for only half a
game), but currently just hold the whistle in my hand.
allows me to whistle and signal at the same time if needed.
I actually attach one of my watches to the whistle, to get
a better grip and an easy view of the time.
I also keep a
spare whistle in my back pocket.
Get a pen with a clip, not a cap.
I keep mine clipped inside my
fron some refs like theirs in their shirt
Keep a backup pen in a different place.
For the coin toss at the beginning of the game the center referee
is supposed to bring the coin.
Some referees pride themselves
in their choice of coin, but a quarter works well and is easily
Check your Procedures
Different playing leagues have different procedures, and if you
don't already know how it works in your league, ask someone
beforehand:
How long are the halves in the games?
Usually between 25 and 45 minutes, depending on age.
What is the maximum/minimum number of players on the field?
Usually each team fields 11 players and the game can't be started
or continued with fewer than 7.
When can players be substituted?
Usually at half time, goals, Goal Kicks, own team's Throw-In,
and at any injury stoppage.
Who brings the game card?
Usually the home team coach.
What makes a player legitimate?
sometimes both.
Who gets the game card?
Sometimes the winning team, sometimes the home team, and
sometimes you have to mail it in.
Can the game end in a tie?
Some competitions require extra periods or kicks from the
penalty mark to determine a winner.
How do you handle Red Cards?
Most every league has a "24 hour sendoff form" and a
well-documented procedure to follow.
Any other funky rules?
Like no slide tackling, or U10's get
two chances to get a Throw-In right, etc.
Like cops and the mafia, referees stand by each other. Don't diss
another referee, especially while he's on the field officiating.
In fact, eventually you'll find that the only people who want to
hear about refereeing are other referees.
Different referees have
different styles, levels of tolerance and enforcement, and behind
that different degrees of experience and plain ability.
solicit comments from you on another referee, just remember:
we'll have perfect referees when we have perfect players.
When you aren't actually officiating a game, go incognito.
you have to wear your uniform around, at least cover up the
shirt, especially if you are standing around the field watching
a game or waiting to officiate the next.
Strictly speaking, a
referee's authority begins when he arrives at the field and ends
when he leaves, but he is only really on the hook when he's in
You don't want to get into the sticky situation of
having the authority over your game's players while not actually
paying attention to them.
Laws and Mechanics
In this section I describe a soccer field: not so much that you
can design one, but enough to recognize it when you find one.
A soccer field is a rectangle.
The lines at the side are called
"touch lines."
The lines at the end are called "goal lines."
This may be confusing because the ball going over the goal line
isn't enough to score a goal -- it has to go in the goal.
The goals are centered on the goal lines.
They have uprights 8
ft high and a crossbar 8 yards wide.
They usually have a net
(and some structure) behind the goal line, but the uprights and
crossbar are all that really counts.
The words "completely over
the goal line between the uprights and under the crossbar" are
often used to describe precisely "into the goal."
Extending from the goal lines into the field is a box called the
"goal area", and it is bounded by the "goal area lines." It
starts 6 yards to either side of the uprights and extend 6 yards
from the goal line.
The most important thing about the goal
area is that "Goal Kicks" happen from within here.
Also extending from the goal lines into the field, outside of the
goal area, is a bigger box called the "penalty area", and it is
bounded by the "penalty area lines."
It starts 18 yards to
either side of the uprights and extends 18 yards from the goal
The penalty area line that's parallel to the goal line
is called "the 18."
The most important thing about the penalty
area is that the goalkeeper can handle (i.e. use hands on) the
ball there.
Outside of the penalty area, the goalkeeper is just
another player.
Halfway between the goal area line and the penalty area line is
a spot called the "penalty mark."
That would be 12 yards out
from the goal line.
It is used only for the Penalty Kick.
Just outside the top of the penalty area is an arc whose center
is the penalty mark and whose radius 10 yards.
That's to ensure
that other players are 10 yards away during the taking of a
Penalty Kick.
Across the narrow middle of the whole field is the halfway
Around the very middle is the center circle 10 yards
in radius.
That is there only to ensure opponents are 10
yards away during the Kick Off.
In the middle of the center
circle is the center mark, for the Kick Off.
In each corner is a flag at least 5 feet tall, called the "corner
flag," and a arc extending into the field 1 yard, centered at
the corner.
"Corner Kicks" are taken within this arc.
can be a mark outside the goal line 11 yards from the corner
That's to ensure defenders are 10 yards from the arc
during Corner Kicks.
In soccer, "lines belong to the areas of which they are boundaries."
So the goal area goes all the way to the outside edge of the goal
same w same with the whole
It is always a matter of judging whether the ball or a
person went completely over the line if leaving an area (like
the field, the goal area, the penalty area), or touched the line
if entering an area.
Curiously, the halfway line is thus in
both halves of the field.
Practical Procedures
After you arrive at the field, but prior to the start of the
game, you have a ritual to go through.
It takes about 20 minutes.
Meet the other referees
Assuming you have ARs, introduce yourself and verify that you're
the center referee.
This is a good time to discuss the level of play you are expecting
as well as the level of play you all are accustomed to.
good chance your ARs know a lot more or a lot less than you
do, and your job as the center referee may change to match.
While most ARs can deal with the ball going over the line,
a novice AR may be nervous about calling offside properly,
and a seasoned AR can help call fouls in their quadrant.
A lot of refs are subject to 2nd half dislexia: pointing the flag
in the wrong direction just after the teams change ends.
good to get them to admit this so you know to double check when
your calls don't agree.
This document includes some advice for compensating for lesser
Deliver your pre-game instructions
Some mechanics for the ARs, especially how they interact with
the CR, are left up to the CR to spell out in "pre-game
instructions."
If you want your ARs to behave as I say they
should in this document, talk about these things:
Orchestrating substitutions (see "Substitutions").
Eye contact before signalling restarts (see "The Stare-Down
for Restarts").
Eye contact when signalling anything else.
Penalty Kick positioning (see "Penalty Kick").
Your pre-game instructions will get more specific once you've
developed a style of your own.
Gauge your players
Take a look at your players as they warm up.
Are they what you
were expecting?
Some of your officiating has to be modified for the level of
For this document, I'll describe play as low level,
medium level, and high level.
The following is a starter:
Low level: U10-U12 non-competitive
Mid level: U12-U14 non-competitive, U10-U12 competitive
High level: U16+ non-competitive, U13+ competitive
Boys generally play at a higher level of play than girls at the
same age, and there are cultural differences galore.
adopt an attitude that girls or anyone else will always be civil
and fair, or you'll find yourself unprepared in the middle of
a very physical game.
To get the best assessment, take a look
at your players warming up.
Next plan on jogging around the perimeter of the field, inspecting
at least the four corner flags and two goals.
For the goals the
important parts are that they are securely anchored, that don't have
gaps in the nets, and that the back of the uprights align with the
outside edge of the goal line.
Also look at the field itself: if you later trip in a hole or
soft spot, you have only yourself to blame.
More importantly,
by continuing with the game you are judging the field to be a
safe place to play.
It's not your job to correct the goals or the fields: coaches
can patch holes in the nets and cover holes or soft spots in the
fields with cones.
Now's a good time to stretch.
Practice Your Aplomb
It's almost time to start talking to coaches and players, but
before you do remember that the next 5 minutes will leave an
impression that may take the whole game to shake.
So practice
your aplomb: be easy and brief.
No one respects a jerk, nor
do they respect a pushover.
If you are easygoing, you can
avoid being a jerk.
If you are brief, they can't peg you for
a pushover.
Resist the temptation to lecture the coaches or players about
Reminding them of any rules at best suggests that
you'll be oblivious to other rules and at worst insults their
intelligence.
Any education they are to get from you is from
the only clean way: by your officiating.
Meet the coaches
With aplomb in mind, trot out and introduce yourself to the home
team coach.
A good, firm handshake will reinforce that you are
good, firm referee.
Make sure the home coach has given the game card to the visiting
coach by now.
You have to verify the player names on the game
card, so it has to be filled in by both teams.
If you are unsure of the duration of the halves, since it varies
among the age groups, verify it now.
Ideally you've studied this
and other parameters of the match beforehand, but better to find out
now than when on the field.
It avoids one common mistake.
Then go meet the visiting coach, collect the game card (ensuring
it at least has the player names from both teams written on it),
and tell the visiting coach it is time to check in.
If you are without ARs, you're going to need to recruit linesmen
from the teams.
If you need only one, ask the visiting team.
If you need two, get one from each team.
Give the coach a flag
and ask him to give it to his selected linesman.
You'll brief
him just before the game starts.
Player Check-In
If you have ARs, have them join you for the check-in.
Blow your whistle briefly if you need attention, and ask the players
to line up for check-in.
If they've been practicing near the goal,
having them line up on "the 18" -- the penalty area line.
Otherwise,
you can just point to any nearby line and hope they fall into
formation.
Get the player passes from the coach.
Now comes equipment inspection.
There are a few things to check,
and I do it in this order:
Shin guards.
I just look down the line at each
player's shins as it is pretty easy to tell if they've
got them or not.
Most referees make them knock them
with their knuckles, and players may automatically do
this anyhow.
If anyone has socks slipping below the
tops of the guards, ask them to pull them up and remind
them that socks must always completely cover the guards.
Look down the row, checking fingers, wrists,
ears, necks, and hair for any jewelry.
Technically none
is ever allowed, but little girls who just got their
ears pierced will tape over the studs. Your league may
allow that for low-level play, but it doesn't fly beyond that.
The players are usually accustomed to handing any contraband
over to the coach.
Again look down the row and everyone should be
wearing what are obviously soccer shoes.
If they aren't,
you need to verify that the shoes are safe: hard soled
street shoes and shoes with cleats at the tips are out,
and if anyone has metal studs you probably want to feel
them to make sure they haven't been sharpened by walking
on pavement.
Soccer shoes aren't actually required:
they can play in sneakers.
Some leagues insist that shirts be tucked in.
Roll call.
Tell the players that when you call their name, they
should turn around, showing you their jersey number, and then
stand to the side of the group still standing on the line.
(Jersey numbers are often marginalized at low-level play.) Step
through the player passes, calling their names, and verify their
numbers on the game card.
If a player is absent, ask if the
player is likely to show up later.
Strike out names of any
players not planning on showing, and note names of players who
may be late.
If you have an AR helping you, this is a good job
If multiple players have the same jersey number, it is up to you
to decide whether you can (or need to) keep them straight, should
discipline become a problem.
This is generally not a problem at
low-level play.
Players left on the line -- those without player passes -- don't
generally get to play, but that depends on the state of your
league's paperwork and their policy thereof.
Thank the players, wish them well, and head over to the home team
to check them in.
Put all the player passes in your bag -- you
don't want to run around with them in your pockets.
The Game Ball
After checking in the home team players ask the home coach for the
game ball.
If it is high-level play, or there is nothing at the
edge of the field to keep the game ball from rolling forever, ask
for three balls.
A properly inflated ball is actually quite hard.
Except for any
padding, it shouldn't deflect much at all when you press it with
your fingers.
You can get by with a softer ball on a hard
surface, but an under-inflated ball on tall or wet grass makes
for a dull game.
To make sure the ball isn't out of round, spin
it in the air and look for a noticable wobble.
Coaches aren't
too bent out of shape when you ask for another ball, so don't
If you got three balls, give one to each AR to put behind the goals
at either end.
Put the game ball in the center of the center circle.
Note that there are different sizes of balls (3, 4, and 5) for
different ages.
Make sure you've got the right balls.
Brief the Linesmen
If you are the CR without a proper pair of ARs, you'll need to
advise the linesmen your coaches have chosen for you.
to the guy holding your flag, introduce yourself, and ask him:
a) Is he a referee?
b) Has he done this before?
In the answer to these two questions, you'll start to be able
to determine whether you've got good linesmen or lame ones.
You won't know for sure until the game starts.
Assuming you've
got a rank beginner, explain these things:
a) He can't coach (or talk to players on the field at all)
while he holds the flag.
b) He should stay outside the touch line, between the
halfway line and the goal line at one end (see the
discussion on the diagonal system of control, below).
c) The ball is only out of bounds if it goes entirely
over the line.
Many parents and coaches are not
facile with this subtlety of soccer.
d) If the ball goes out of bounds, he should hold the
flag straight up.
Once you get your wheels and move to higher level games,
you can stop here.
While you're still shaky you can
enlist a little more help:
e) He can signal direction by pointing the flag at a 45
degree angle in the favoring team's direction.
knows how to signal for a Goal Kick or Corner Kick, do so.
If he is in doubt, he can hold the flag up with a blank
f) If he's a uniformed, licensed referee that you
feel you should trust, he can signal for offside as well,
but you will only be considering, not following his
Do this at your own peril.
The Coin Toss
Gather your team captains for the coin toss.
You can just
go to the center circle, whistle, and yell "Team Captains!"
but it's better to send your ARs (or yourself) over to
invite them out.
In most cases, this is the only duty of
the captains.
Teams can offer more than one captain.
With your ARs neatly beside (or across from) you, introduce
yourself and invite the captains to do the same (to each other).
Ask which player from the visiting team will be calling the coin
Show him both sides of the coin, and ask him to call it in
If you are coordina otherwise just
let it fall to the ground.
Whoever wins the coin toss decides which end to attack for the
first half.
The other team gets to Kick Off.
Tell them who
gets what, and that you'll be starting shortly (usually a minute
Write on the game card who gets the Kick Off.
Bid your ARs farewell.
If you hold your hand out with your
fingers curled, and your ARs have done this before, you might find
yourself doing the mysterious 3-way handshake.
Go stand on the halfway line outside the center circle.
players aren't assembling after the coin toss, blow your whistle.
If they still don't assemble, they might need a personal invite.
Normally teams field 11 players a side, but you can't even start
or continue with fewer than 7.
Once you have the 11 players on the field from either end, and
the goalies appear to be in position, note the start time on the
game card and put it in your pocket.
Set and start your
stopwatch(es).
You may notice some referees ask the goalies if they are ready.
You should not do this.
Just look.
Look to your ARs, which should have positioned themselves along
the touch lines for the Kick Off.
They should have their flags
unfurled and acknowledge your nod.
Point your arm up in the direction of the kick
and blow your whistle.
Assuming they don't bungle the kick
(see The Kick Off, below) your game is underway!
Some Important Distinctions
Background Information
Before I go on to how you handle yourself on the field, I need
to make a few important distinctions that you'll need throughout
the rest of the book.
Facts vs Rules
As the referee, you are the sole judge of facts, but still
at the mercy of the rules.
So if you say that a defender grew an extra arm out of his
head to deflect the ball away from the goal, your league
will stand behind you (though possibly not very close in this
case). But if you then award a Throw-In for handling
the ball, you've broken the rules and your decision can be
contested, especially if it affects the outcome of the game.
Safety is an important fact for you to judge: you alone determine
whether equipment, clothing, the ball, the field, the goals, the
flags, the weather, etc. are sufficiently safe for play.
What You Saw vs What Happened
Call what you see -- what you didn't see didn't happen.
(You can use your ears if you are close enough.)
It is better to skip a call because you didn't actually see
it happen than it is to make the call based on circumstantial
or 3rd party evidence.
For example, a player may fall to the ground for any number
of reasons.
If you didn't see the offending action that
brought him down, don't call it a foul.
If you do, players
will notice your willingness to judge by effect alone,
and they will put on all sorts of effects for you.
Many fouls are obscured by other players or happen just
as you look away.
Don't sweat it and just enforce what
you do see: it should be enough to discourage the players
from relying on fouling.
You can admit that you only call what you see, as players
will tell you about fouls you didn't see.
Thank them
professionally and, weighing their biases, try to make use
of their information on future fouls.
Selling it vs Buying it
Often enough you can't tell exactly what happened, and
the players will no doubt attempt to assist you in your
decision making.
A simple case is the ball going out of
bounds: who kicked it out? As it turns out, selling your
answer is more important than always getting it right.
Let's look at four cases:
You're sure, and the players got it right or they follow
your direction: no problem.
You're sure, but the players get it wrong: stop
them with the whistle (quick beeps ... "but but but")
and set them straight by signaling and telling.
You're not sure, but the players seem convinced, and
you want to go with the flow:
signal to reflect their
decision (to make it look like your own).
subtle, this is an excellent technique.
You're not sure, and the players look to you for
direction: make up something, quick, and sell it.
Some refs like to give it to the defense.
Any of these is better than no signal at all or changing
it after you've made up your mind.
If you can sell your
decision, even when you are dead wrong, it tells the players
that you're not a pushover.
But be careful: insisting when you
know you are wrong is bad Zen.
Act vs Decision vs Whistle
As the referee, you choose when your decision is effective
(and play stops).
Ideally the act, the decision upon the
act, and the whistle happen simultaneously.
But in real
life you have a few seconds of retroactive power to make
your decision and a moment to bumble for your whistle.
For example: if your AR puts up his flag for an offside
violation, and you only notice the flag after the offside player
scores, you blow your whistle and unwind back to the offside
violation.
Another example: if an attacker pushes a defender and you
decide to award a free kick for the defender, but then the
defender trips the attacker, it is still a free kick for the
This is because when you decided to award the kick,
the play stopped, and a foul can only happen when the ball is
in play (see below).
You do have the option of punishing the
defender for misconduct (see below).
There are two reasons for the delay of your decision:
sometimes it takes a moment to realize what you have seen,
and sometimes stopping for a defender's foul might hurt an
attacker's good play.
In this latter case, called "applying
advantage" (discussed below), you wait a good two seconds
or so to judge the aftermath of the foul.
The Bigger Foul vs the First Foul
When two fouls happen simultaneously (i.e. committed by the
same player or by two players against each other), your job
is to punish the bigger of the two.
But when they happen sequentially, and you have decided
after the first that you are going to punish the foul, you
have to stick to punishing that first foul.
At that point
play has stopped and the second act can only be misconduct.
Once play is stopped for any reason, there can be no more
fouls, and any misconduct cannot change the restart.
Location of Infringement vs Infringer vs Ball
When a foul occurs, its location is that of the
infringement itself, not necessarily where the infringer
or ball are.
For example, if a player strikes another
player by throwing his shinguard at him, the foul is where
the struck player is.
The location of infringement is
important because it determines the location of the restart,
and because a Penalty Kick is awarded for fouls inside the
defender's penalty area.
Deliberate vs Intentional
Often judgement over fouls involves the distinction
between "deliberate" actions and "intentional" ones.
What's the difference?
"Deliberate" meant the action was
under the player's cognitive control, while "intentional"
means he had a particular outcome in mind. For example,
he might have deliberately put his foot out in the way of
the opponent, but did he intentionally trip his opponent or
was he intending to play the ball?
Fortunately, for the most part you only have to witness the
outcome (that the player tripped his opponent), not guess what
was in his heart at the time.
There are a few cases where "deliberate" and "intentional"
come into play: handling of the ball must be "deliberate"
and "intent" to cause injury is a sending off offense.
These are discussed later.
Control vs Contact
There are a number of calls you'll have to make that hang
on whether a defender controls the ball or merely made contact
You have to watch soccer to know the difference,
but essentially control means the player is directing the
ball (successfully or not), while contact does not imply
control -- usually just a deflection.
I'll describe these situations later, but for completeness
they are listed here:
Control required:
To be guilty of a passing the ball back to the
goalkeeper, a defender must first control the ball
with his feet.
For the ball to be in the keeper's possession, it
must be controlled by his hands or arms.
(Note that
for the keeper's safety in some youth leagues, mere
contact renders the ball unplayable.)
An offside attacker can be exonerated if a defender
controls the ball.
Contact sufficient:
For an Indirect Free Kick to score, the ball merely
requires contact with another player.
The player who takes a free kick, Goal Kick, Corner
Kick, Penalty Kick, or Throw-In may only play the ball
again after it contacts another player.
Players are judged to be in an offside or onside position
each time their teammates contact the ball.
Kicked vs Played
Similarly, some calls depend on whether the ball was kicked
or played. Playing the ball involves any part of the body.
Kicking is playing with the foot or leg.
All those Kicks
There are six situations where a player gets to kick the
ball unhampered by opponents:
Goal Kick (GK)
Corner Kick (CK)
Penalty Kick (PK)
Direct Free Kick (DFK)
Indirect Free Kick (IFK)
The last two are often called the "free kicks."
But all of
them are "free" in the same sense: free from the presence
of opponents.
I'll actually explain the kicks in the Starts, Restarts,
and Stops section.
Warning vs "Caution" vs "Send-Off" vs "Expulsion"
When players are misbehaving -- either misconduct or
excessive fouling -- you have three degrees of communicating
your disapproval. It is important that you use the right
terminology.
A "warning" is informal and without prescribed consequences.
You can literally say "I'm warning you" or leave it as a
critical comment, like "Watch those hands!"
A "Caution" is a formal act.
When you caution a player,
you show the Yellow Card (described below) and say why he
is being cautioned.
A "Send-Off" is a formal expulsion. When you send off a
player, you show the Red Card and say why he is being
You must record this on the game card, and often
post-game paperwork is required.
When coaches are misbehaving (almost always dissent)
you don't show cards and there is no formal "Caution."
you tire of informal warnings, your only resort is to "expel"
the coach for irresponsible behavior.
Again, you must
record this on the game card and post-game paperwork is
often required.
Some leagues imagine there is a formal
"Caution" for coaches, and you may feel inclined to
take that step before the all-out expulsion.
My Opinion vs Your Opinion
Many of the LOTG mention "in the opinion of the referee" (ITOOTR).
You should recognize my opinions in this document and be prepared to
substitute you own once your experience permits.
In the "Direct
Free Kick Fouls" section, I've labelled the opinion piece clearly.
Referee vs Player
You are an oak.
Do not officiate in anger.
You have no interest
in the game, and should not be affronted by players' actions even
if they are directed at you.
The precision of your officiating is
your sharpest tool.
The Big Run
Practical Procedures
In this section I talk about the event-less mechanics of
refereeing a soccer game: the things you'll do without ever having
to blow a whistle.
"The Diagonal System of Control"
As the center referee, you'll be using the diagonal system of
That means as you move up and down field to stay close
to the action of the ball, you also move diagonally across the
field, so that your overall movement goes from one corner flag
to its diagonal opposite.
Meanwhile, your ARs are also staying close to the action by
moving up and down the touch line between the halfway line and
the corner flag across from your corner.
The ARs' positioning
is to judge offside, which puts him level with or forward of
all the action, save for the goalkeeper.
Together this allows you to sandwich the play between you and
the ARs, and if you stuck to this exact positioning no play
would ever be more distant from a referee than 1/2 the width of
the field.
The fact that a kicked ball moves faster than you
can run will leave you striving for, but never exactly achieving,
this positioning.
You'll never actually run just the diagonal.
Instead, you'll
stretch it constantly to get close to the action or to stay out
of its way.
If you are trekking down the field chasing play,
try to move early behind and to the left of the ball.
keep the action between you and the (downfield) AR.
pattern will also keep you out of the center circle, a common
spot for getting beaned by the ball.
Most all games are managed with the referee going towards the
corner to the left of each goal, with the ARs running along the
touch line to the right of each goal.
Lead, Don't Follow
Your view is better if you can position yourself where the ball
is going to be, rather than chasing after it.
Of course, it wouldn't be much of a game if the future was
foreseeable but, with experience, you can predict the likely
outcome of some plays. For example, a long shot to a decent
goalkeeper is likely to come back.
Players are in the same business of predicting play.
Try following
them (as a whole) instead of the ball.
Predicting play gives you a chance to rest while the ball is being
volleyed back and forth.
This is rest that you will surely need
when your planning goes awry and you find yourself sprinting to the
Mind Your Distance
You want to be neither too close nor too far from the action:
10 yards is a good rule of thumb.
If your players are getting
too physical, moving even closer assures them that they're
under scrutiny.
Outside of 20 and you should be moving closer.
Proximity affords more than just better sight: you can hear
better as well.
Many fouls, including handling the ball, are
subtle enough that you'll need both your eyes and ears to judge.
But get too close and you may become part of the action.
There is nothing illegal about the ball bouncing off of you,
or players tangling up in your feet, but too much suggests that
your officiating is interfering with the game.
The other extreme, hanging around the center circle and trying
to make calls from there, is about as effective as watching the
game on television and making calls from there.
You can stay both close to and out of the action by hiding behind
a defender if the play comes your way.
Defenders tend to move
towards the ball, unlike attackers who might back over you trying
to make space.
Watch the Action, Not Just the Ball
The biggest tendency of new referees is to watch the ball.
For very young players, that is probably sufficient, but much
fouling -- pulling, pushing, charging -- occurs above the waist.
Try to observe the game as you would if you were a spectator
(that happens to be very close): unfocus on the ball and look at
the whole of the action.
With a lot of concentration, but none of
it directed at any one place, you can sense whether play is fair.
Never watch a ball kicked high in the air.
No fouls happen there.
Instead, focus on the players where the ball is going to land.
Linger a Moment
Many fouls occur just after the ball is passed, and new referees
miss a lot following the ball.
Linger a moment after the play
to ensure that nothing untoward happens in the aftermath.
fouls are committed by players arriving late.
The technique of lingering at one play while anticipating the next
is very important for higher level play.
It's hard to describe more succintly: your actions should be
Not hard and fast, not muddled and slow: a pace that
never leaves the players waiting for your direction yet still
gives you time to make your due deliberations.
Once you make a decision, carry it out as cleanly and clearly
as you can.
Over time, your convictions should catch up to
your mechanics, but while you're getting started a good clean
delivery carries a lot of weight.
For cleanest delivery, stop before signaling, like the football
referees do.
Waving your arms while running has an air of
desperation.
You needn't grandstand.
Your motions should be sufficient to
make the signal, and little more.
It's not you that the
spectators came to see.
Check Your ARs
Ideally, the play is sandwiched between you and your nearer AR:
you and your AR should be looking over the ball at each other.
When that's not the case, as is usually the case, you should
take every opportunity to spot your ARs.
You should make eye contact with your ARs at every stop in play:
first the near one who will share your signaling, and then the
far one to ensure nothing has gone awry.
This is important.
The Stare-Down for Restarts
Without some planning, you and your AR are likely to signal
opposing restarts, which slowly erodes your credence.
Most referees ask their ARs to "make eye contact before
signalling," but it's really more like a brief stare-down.
Before signaling direction you and your AR should make eye
If you're sure of the direction, go ahead and signal.
If you're uncertain, hesistate just a little for his signal.
If he then hesistates, go with your best guess.
ARs can help by
holding the flag in the hand of the intended direction.
subtly point as well.
At the end of this stare-down, you two
will be signaling the same way.
In rare cases you'll signal without regard for your AR.
you're going to surprise him and the players, blow your
whistle to call attention to yourself so everyone sees your
If your AR is already signalling the other way,
some referees will make a "brush off" signal with their
hands, to indicate that the ball slightly brushed off a
player before going out of bounds.
They'll do this regardless
of whether there was a subtle brush off or the AR just has
it all wrong.
If your AR sees the ball go out of play and come back in, he
should raise his flag vertically to call your attention.
go into the same stare-down procedure for direction.
For the sake of snappiness, you must glance frequently at the
AR when the ball is near the lines.
Once you get a feel for each
other's timing it'll look as beautiful as synchronized swimming.
Seasoned ARs are used to this, but it is still a good topic for
your pre-game instructions.
As the referee you are the sole keeper of time in the game of
soccer, and your watch is the only one that matters.
The clock never stops in soccer, but you can add "extra time"
for certain situations: injury, slow substitutions and deliberate
delays (usually by the winning team).
You don't add time for
normal play: ball out of bounds, goals, etc.
Because you add extra time rather than stopping it, and because
sometimes you need to record when (in what minute) something
happens, you should have your stopwatch count up rather than down.
Between keeping the clock, adding extra time, and being the sole
judge of the fact of time, you have total control over the length
of the game.
But you don't control the rules, so your facts
better add up: if you end a 45 minute half at 48 minutes, you
should be able to convince yourself that 45 minutes of regular
time and 3 minutes of added time have passed.
At the end of regular time you should announce how much time you'll
be adding.
After you do this, you must add at least that much.
At other times, if players or coaches ask about the remaining,
you should answer loudly and approximately.
Answers like "about 10"
or "less than 5" are enough for their planning.
One of your ARs should back you up on timekeeping, and together
you can confirm time by holding fingers against your shorts or
shirt to indicate the number of minutes left.
Best to do this
around two minutes.
Your AR's closed fist means time is up, which
you should only see if your watch breaks.
The Whistle
A whistle is not a guitar, but you can make it speak.
Here's what I do, and it seems pretty common:
Short or medium beep: to restart play.
Think "go!"
Quick short beeps: to prevent a restart, like
when a substitution is taking place or the
Throw-In is from the wrong direction. Think
"but but but but but..."
Medium: to stop
to bring players
on the field at the start or after halftime. Think
Long: to start the game very ceremoniously.
To stop for a
serious foul. Think "stowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwp!"
Medium then long: half time.
Think "half tiiiiiiime"
Twice medium then long: game over.
Think "that's
the gaaaaaaaaame!"
You have to use the whistle to stop play, but it is only required
to start play in a few circumstances: at Kick Offs, at Penalty
Kicks, after substitutions, and when you instruct a player to
wait for your whistle during a free kick.
Common sense suggests
using the whistle after any protracted delay.
Signaling and Telling
In addition to whistling, you need to signal with your arms
the type of restart and sometimes the location of the restart.
This information will be repeated below with the individual
starts, restarts, and stops, but for completeness I'll list
them here as well.
Aside from whistling and signaling, you're not required to
indicate anything: you don't have to talk (and sometimes it is
best not to).
But you can reinforce what you are signaling
with words: suggestions are listed here, too.
Center Referee Signals
Also can say
Arm up parallel to touch line
(Anywhere above level up to about 45 degrees.)
"Blue throw"
Arm up parallel to touch line
(Anywhere above level up to about 45 degrees.)
Kick Off, Direct or Indirect Free Kick
Arm up 45 degree in direction of a corner
Corner Kick
"Corner Kick"
Arm level at goal area
"Goal Kick"
Arm level at center circle
Kick Off after a goal
"half time"
Arm pointing at penalty mark
Penalty Kick
"Penalty Kick"
Arm straight up
Indirect Free Kick
Pointing at whistle
Wait for whistle to restart
"wait for the whistle"
Some Unofficial Center Referee Signals
Arm pointing to spot on field
Location of free kick
"Blue kick there"
Arm pointing to spot on touch line
Location for Throw-In
"Throw-In there"
Hand up at player with ball
Don't restart yet (substitution, etc)
"wait please"
Brushing one hand against the other
Restart direction is not what you think
"off Blue"
Some referees like to make a big deal of signaling a goal:
I just do the point.
Further, I always point with my whole
hand - individual fingers look to delicate.
Basic AR Mechanics
The two main jobs of the AR are to judge in- and out-of-bounds for
the ball and offside. To do so, you run along the touchline,
between the halfway line and the goal line, keeping level with the
2nd-to-last-defender or the ball, whichever is closer to the
goal line.
You only go up to the halfway line, which means if the ball is in the
other half of the field, and all the defenders are lined on the
halfway line waiting for the ball to come their way, you stay parked.
This can be unpleasant with a one-sided game on a cold day.
If you're not moving, you should be standing square to the field.
As an AR, you don't have a whistle and you don't talk: you only
signal with a flag given to you by the center referee.
these signals are to confirm what the center referee knows and
indicate restart direction.
For the AR to initiate a call, you must first put the flag straight
up and, upon the whistle of the center referee, make the proper
signal. This is especially the case whenever the ball leaves play
and returns, because as AR you are the best one to judge that.
So that the center referee can pick you out of the crowd on the
touch line, you are supposed to hold the flag in the hand that is
closer to him.
Generally that's the left hand when standing still
and the right when running upfield.
If you're not signaling, your flag should be pointing straight
When you do signal, your rigid arms should sweep like the
hands of a clock, either up the touchline or out in front of you.
Make every effort on Throw-Ins and fouls to bring the flag up in
the direction of the restart.
If you bring the flag up in the
wrong hand, you have to bring it down to change hands - not over
your head.
I'm told for televised games ARs are instructed to signal with
the flag for three seconds.
That's good unless you need to drop
the flag after a quick restart.
Assistant Referee Signals
Flag up 45 degrees along touch line
Throw-In, in direction of flag
Flag pointing at goal area
Flag down 45 degrees along touch line towards corner
Corner Kick
Flag straight up
Stop play - reason will come after CR's whistle
Flag straight up, after whistle signal for restart
Ball went out of bounds and came back in
Flag straight up, after whistle flag across field down, level, or up
Offside: near side, middle, or far side of field
Flag straight up with quick, small waves, after whistle
flag up 45 degrees along touch line
Foul: Direct Free Kick in direction of flag
Flag straight up with quick, small waves, after whistle
holding the flag across the lower body
Foul by defender in penalty area: Penalty Kick
Flag held horizontal across lower body
Confirming that foul seen by CR was by defender
in penalty area: Penalty Kick
Standing still after an apparent goal
Foul committed by attackers not seen by CR
Sprinting up touch line towards halfway line
Flag horizontal overhead in both hands
Substitution requested
Circumstances, Mechanics, and Aftermath
Laws and Mechanics
In this chapter I enumerate the starts, restarts, and stops
during the game.
It is all fairly mechanical, but some of
the restarts (Direct and Indirect Free Kicks) are due to offsides,
fouls, and misconduct -- tricky issues which have their own
For each event I describe the circumstances which lead to
it, the mechanics for orchestrating it, and what is likely
to happen thereafter.
The Starts
The Kick Off
Circumstances
At the beginning of the game, at the beginning of the
2nd half, and after a goal there is a Kick Off from the
center circle.
This is carried out by the loser of the
coin toss, the winner of the coin toss, and by the
team against which the goal was scored, respectively.
Stand outside the center circle on the halfway line.
Ensure that:
a) All players are in their respective halves of the field.
b) All defenders are outside the center circle (10 yards away).
c) All players look more or less ready.
d) The ARs acknowledge your eye contact.
Point your arm up in the direction of the kick and blow your
The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves.
Mechanics for the ARs
The ARs position themselves to judge offside, level to the
2nd-to-last defender.
If this is the beginning of a
half, they are supposed to unfurl their flags and make
eye contact with the center referee to indicate their
readiness.
What's Next
If players aren't in their halves of the field or
defenders move into the center circle before the kick, then
the kick is retaken.
If the kicker plays the ball a second time before anyone
contacts the ball, the other team gets an Indirect Free
Kick, described below.
A team can score directly from a Kick Off, in case you
are wondering.
The Restarts
The Throw-In
Circumstances
If one team sends the ball wholly over the touch line,
you're going to award a "Throw-In" to their opponents.
You get to judge which side last touched the ball.
This is the
call most often blown, but it doesn't matter all that much
in the grand scheme.
The main purpose is to put the ball
back into play, so all you have to do is sell your decision.
Since the Throw-In is one of the most common restarts,
it is one of the easiest ways to earn or lose your authority.
Often it is the AR that judges the ball to be out of bounds,
so frequent glances at the AR are important when the ball is
at the edge of the field.
But either you or the AR can make
the determination.
Eye contact with the AR is important when
signaling, to settle any doubt and make sure you are in
agreement over who gets the throw.
Stop running, stand still facing the touch line the ball passed
over, and point your rigid arm up in the direction the opponents
are going.
Use the appropriate arm.
You can also call out the
color of the team that gets the ball.
If you and the AR disagree, you can negotiate with glances
or words, but you have the final vote, and both of you
should point in the same direction by the time the Throw-In
takes place.
Position yourself for the action likely to result from the
Mechanics for the AR
To signal a Throw-In the AR stops running, changes arms if
needed, and points the flag up at a 45 degree angle in the
proper direction.
If the ball went out of bounds and came back in, then the AR
first holds the flag straight up (in the appropriate arm)
until the center referee whistles, and then signals for the
Throw-In. It is important to practice this flag-up first
on Throw-Ins because it is the same for other, subtler calls
(like Corner Kicks and goals).
For the Throw-In the AR resumes position to judge offside.
Sometimes this means backing up off the touch line to make
room for the thrower.
What's Next
If the thrown ball never comes into play (i.e. never
touches the vertical plane at the outside edge of the
touch line), the throw is retaken.
Throw for other team:
A Throw-In is supposed to happen within one yard of
where the ball went out, but it almost never does.
If they are gaining some advantage you can whistle them
back and point to the proper location. If it is clear
they are working the system give the other team the throw.
A legal Throw-In has both of the thrower's feet on the
ground, with any part of the feet touching or outside the
touch lines, until the ball leaves his hands.
throw with both hands starting from behind the head and
going over the head.
The most common mistake is to lift the back foot up
before the ball is out of the hands.
Younger players
will sometimes jump up with both feet. Good players will
drag their back foot up as they throw, which is legal.
Rarely players will start the thro
sometimes they'll end up over it: throw for other team.
Sometimes players will start the throw from overhead (rather
than behind), bring it around the side, or stop and start
throwing several times.
Unless it is a complete throw
from behind and over the head, the other team will get the
If the ball comes into play but then curves back out,
the other team gets the throw.
Indirect Free Kick:
No 2nd touch or keeper handling: if the thrower is
the first to play the ball, or the player's keeper is
the first and he picks it up, the other team gets an
Indirect Free Kick.
Goal Kick, Corner Kick:
No scoring from Throw-In: if the ball goes directly
in the goal it's either a Corner Kick (it went in the
throwing team's goal) or a Goal Kick (it went in the
opponents' goal).
Yellow Card:
Opponents must retreat two yards from the thrower so as
not to impede the throw.
Being a nuisance in
this regard falls under Unsporting Behavior, a cautionable
If the Throw-In was taken it's an Indirect Free
Kick for the throwing team, not a re-throw.
The Goal Kick
Circumstance
If the attackers send the ball wholly over the goal line
(but not into the goal), you're going to award a "Goal Kick"
to the defenders.
That's where they place the ball somewhere
inside the goal area lines (usually on the goal area line,
to get as far from the goal as possible) and kick it clear
of the penalty area.
As with Throw-Ins, often it is the AR that judges the ball to
be out of bounds, so frequent glances at the AR and eye contact
when signaling are important.
Point your arm flat or a slight angle down into the middle of
the goal area.
You can call "Goal Kick."
Position yourself downfield in anticipation of the kick.
This is a good time to run backwards (being careful not to
back over small players).
Mechanics for the AR
To signal a Goal Kick the AR points the flag flat
across the field towards the middle of the goal area.
Because the AR should be following the ball to the goal, his
signal should from near the goal line.
If the ball went out of bounds and came back in, then the AR
first holds the flag straight up until the center referee
whistles, and then signals for the Goal Kick.
For the kick the AR positions himself in one of two places:
level with the penalty area line, to ensure the ball leaves
the penalty area before being p or in
the position to judge offside.
Watching the penalty area is
usually only needed for low-level play, where bungled kicks
might not get the ball beyond the line, or when opponents
are hovering just outside the penalty area.
What's Next
A legal Goal Kick starts with the ball inside the goal
area, standing still, with all opponents outside the
penalty area.
The ball may not be played by anyone, even the kicker
again, until it leaves the penalty area.
If it is then
the kick is retaken.
If the ball goes just back across the goal line without
leaving the penalty area, the kick is retaken.
Note that this applies to all free kicks taken by the
defense inside their own penalty area.
Indirect Free Kick:
No 2nd touch or keeper handling: if the kicker is the
first to play the ball after it leaves the penalty area,
or the player's keeper is the first and he picks it up,
the other team gets an Indirect Free Kick.
As far as I
know, handling by the keeper could only happen if the wind
blows the ball back into the penalty area or the ball
bounces off the referee.
Corner Kick:
If the ball is kicked backwards across both the penalty
area line and the goal line, it's an Corner Kick for
the other team.
On the off chance that the ball is kicked out of the
penalty area but the wind blows it back into the goal,
it's also a Corner Kick: you can't score against yourself
on a Goal Kick.
Goal, Goal Kick, Throw-In:
The ball is in play once it leaves the penalty area,
so if it goes out of bounds a normal restart occurs.
You can score from a Goal Kick.
The Corner Kick
Circumstance
If the defenders send the ball wholly over the goal line
(but not into the goal), you're going to award a "Corner
Kick" to the attackers.
That's where they place the ball
in the corner arc of the nearer corner and kick it.
The ball is in play once it is kicked and clearly moves.
As with Throw-Ins, often it is the AR that judges the ball to
be out of bounds, so frequent glances at the AR and eye contact
when signaling a}

我要回帖

更多关于 all for football 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信