百度翻译the writer of the letter may be out of syncha

We can guess the writer of the letter, Sun Yan,may be a . A. visitor B. shopkeeper C. ——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
We can guess the writer of the letter, Sun Yan,may be a . A. visitor B. shopkeeper C. square keeper D. student C Today Newtown is a very clean place. Many years ago, however, there were millions of rats in Newtown. They attacked the cats and dogs. Sometimes a great number of them knocked down a man or woman walking home at night. The rats were very large and they harmed many people. The Government ordered everybody to kill rats. Most people were very lazy, so they did not kill them. Then the Government promised to pay some money for each dead rat. That made people very happy. A Government officer put all the dead rats in a big pile. Sometimes a man brought hundreds in a day. After two weeks there were not many rats in the city, but people still brought rats to the Government officer. The Government officer thought that people were stealing dead rats from the pile. He ordered his men to dig a deep hole and put the rats in it. Soon there were no more rats, and the Government did not pay any more money. 【】
题目列表(包括答案和解析)
Dear editor,&&&& I live in a beautiful city. Many visitors come to my city. There are so many colorful peacocks here.&&&& The peacocks mostly live on the grassland of Dongfeng Square. They are given food freely by visitors.&&They usually throw food to them, and don't think about at all whether the fool is right or not. Some of the peacocks became ill, some even died after eating the bad food given by the visitors.&&&& I'm sure most of the visitors who throw food to the peacocks really like the birds, but don't realize that they may be doing them harm.&&&& The visitors should be told that what they have done is very harmful to the birds, and this kind of thing must be stopped.&&&& Perhaps we can build some small shops beside Dongfeng Square to sell peacock food. For us every person, it is our duty to give morelove to these beautiful birds and to look after, them carefully.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Yours ,&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Sun Yan
1. Many visitors came to the writer's city to &&&&&&&&.&&&&&&
A. do some shopping&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&B. see beautiful peacocksC. throw them some bad food&&&&&&&&&&D. eat nice food
2. Some peacocks became ill and died because some visitors&&&&&&&&&& .&&&&&&&&
A. didn't give them any food&&&&&&&&&& B. gave them too much foodC. threw them some bad food&&&&&&&&&&D.loved them and played with them
3. Some shops can be built beside Dongfeng Square so that they may&&&&&&&&&&&&.
A. sell food for visitors&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&B. sell food for peacocksC. make the square more beautiful&&&&&&&& D. have the beautiful birds
4. From the passage we know people should &&&&&&&&&&&&.&&&&
A. live and play with the birds&&&&&&&&B. stop the birds from eating too muchC.give right food to the birds&&&&&&&& D. give more food to the birds
5. We can guess the writer of the letter, Sun Yan, may be a&&&&&& &&&&&.&&&&&
A. visitor&&&&&&B.shopkeeper&&&&C.doctor&&&&&&D.student
阅读理解.Dear editor (编辑),&&&& I live in a beautiful city. Many visitors come to my city. There are so many colorful peacocks(孔雀) here.&&&& The peacocks mostly live on the grass land of Dongfeng Square. They are given food freely by visitors. They usually throw food to them, and don't think about at all whether the food is right or not. Some of the peacocks became ill, some even died after eating the bad food given by the visitors.&&&& I'm sure most of the visitors who throw food to the peacocks really like the birds, but don't realize that they may be doing them harm.&&&& The visitors should be told that what they have done is very harmful to the birds, and this kind of thing must be stopped from happening.&&&& Perhaps we can build some small shops beside Dongfeng Square to sell peacock food. For us every person, it is our duty to give more love to these beautiful birds and to look after them carefully.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Yours,&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& Sun Yan 1. Many visitors came to the writer's city to _____.A. do some shopping B. see beautiful peacocks C. threw them some bad food D. eat nice food2. Some peacocks became ill and died because some visitors _____.A. didn't give them any food B. gave them too much foodC. threw them some bad food D. loved them and played with them3. Some shops can be built beside Dongfeng Square so that they may _____.A. sell food for visitors B. sell food for peacocksC. make the square more beautiful D. have the beautiful birds 4. From the passage we know people should _____.A. live and play with the birds B. stop the birds from eating too muchC. give right food to the birds D. give more food to the birds5. We can guess the writer of the letter, Sun Yan, may be a _____.A. visitor B. shopkeeper C. square keeper D. student
No. 4 Middle School
Kunming, Yunnan
April 2nd, 2004
Dear editor(编辑),
  I live in a beautiful city. Many visitors come to my city. There are so many beautiful peacocks(孔雀) here.
  The peacocks mostly live on the grass land of Dongfeng Square. Visitors give them food freely. They usually throw food to them, and don't think about at all whether the food is right or wrong. Some of the peacocks became ill, some even died after eating the bad food given by the visitors. I'm sure most of the visitors who throw food to the peacocks really like the birds, but don't realize that they may be doing them harm. The visitors should be told that what they have done is very harmful to the birds, and this kind of thing must be stopped from happening.
  Perhaps we can build some small shops beside Dongfeng Square to sell peacock food. For us every person, it's our duty to give more love to these beautiful birds and to look after them carefully.
(1) Many visitors come to the writer's city to________.
A. do some shopping
B. see beautiful peacocks
C. play on Dongfeng Square
D. eat nice food
(2) Some peacocks became ill and died because some visitors________.
A. didn't give them any food
B. gave them too much food
C. threw them some bad food
D. loved them and played with them
(3) Some shops can be built beside Dongfeng Square so that they may_________.
A. sell food for visitors
B. sell food for peacocks
C. make the square more beautiful
D. have the beautiful birds
(4) From the passage we know that people should
A. live and play with the birds
B. stop the birds from eating too much
C. give right food to the birds
D. give more food to the birds
(5) We can guess the writer of this letter, Sun Yan, may be a_________.
A. visitorB. shopkeeper
C. square keeperD. student
No. 4 Middle School
Kunming, Yunnan
April 2nd, 2004
Dear editor(编辑),
  I live in a beautiful city. Many visitors come to my city. There are so many beautiful peacocks(孔雀) here.
  The peacocks mostly live on the grass land of Dongfeng Square. Visitors give them food freely. They usually throw food to them, and don't think about at all whether the food is right or wrong. Some of the peacocks became ill, some even died after eating the bad food given by the visitors. I'm sure most of the visitors who throw food to the peacocks really like the birds, but don't realize that they may be doing them harm. The visitors should be told that what they have done is very harmful to the birds, and this kind of thing must be stopped from happening.
  Perhaps we can build some small shops beside Dongfeng Square to sell peacock food. For us every person, it's our duty to give more love to these beautiful birds and to look after them carefully.
(1) Many visitors come to the writer's city to________.
A. do some shopping
B. see beautiful peacocks
C. play on Dongfeng Square
D. eat nice food
(2) Some peacocks became ill and died because some visitors________.
A. didn't give them any food
B. gave them too much food
C. threw them some bad food
D. loved them and played with them
(3) Some shops can be built beside Dongfeng Square so that they may_________.
A. sell food for visitors
B. sell food for peacocks
C. make the square more beautiful
D. have the beautiful birds
(4) From the passage we know that people should
A. live and play with the birds
B. stop the birds from eating too much
C. give right food to the birds
D. give more food to the birds
(5) We can guess the writer of this letter, Sun Yan, may be a_________.
A. visitorB. shopkeeper
C. square keeperD. student
阅读短文,根据短文内容选出正确答案
No.4 Middle School
Kunming, Yunnan
April 2nd,2004
Dear editor,
  I live in a beautiful city.Many visitors come to my city.There are so many colorful peacocks here.The peacocks mostly live on the grass land of Dongfeng Square.
  They are given food freely by visitors.They usually throw food to them, and don’t think about at all whether the food is right or not.Some of the peacocks become ill, some even died after eating the bad food given by the visitors.I’m sure most of the visitors who throw food to the peacocks really like the birds, but don’t realize that they may be doing them harm.The visitors should be told that what have done is very harmful to the birds, and this kind of thing must be stopped from happening.Perhaps we can build some small shops beside Dongfeng Square to sell peacock food.For us every person, it’s our duty to give more love to these beautiful birds and to look after them carefully.
Many visitors come to the writer’s city to ________.
do some shopping
see beautiful peacocks
play on Dongfeng Square
eat nice food
Some peacocks became ill and died because some visitors ________.
didn’t give them any food
gave them too much food
threw them some bad food
loved them and played with them
Some shops can be built beside Dongfeng Square so that they may ________.
sell food for visitors
sell food for peacocks
make the square more beautiful
have the beautiful birds
From the passage we know people should ________.
live and play with the birds
stop the birds from eating too much
give right food to the birds
give more food to the birds
We can guess the writer of the letter, Sun Yan, may be a ________.
shopkeeper
square keeper
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!英语翻译Disraeli was as wonderful a letter-writer as he was a novelist.His letters show that his capability to observe was matched only by his ability to describe,and they are made more lively by his overdeveloped sense of self-dramatization(戏剧化的自我表现)as well as by his permanent sense of the greatness of his own fate.He goes through these pages like some beautiful bird of paradise,spreading his multicolored feathers and never passing long enough to become boring.As early as 1830,when only 26,he is found advising Benjamin Austin to carefully keep his letters for his descendents(后代).Fortunately Austin and others followed his advice.As a result over 10,000 letters in his own hand have survived,quite apart from dictated letters.Disraeli rarely kept a diary,and poured his thoughts,desires and reflections into his correspondence.What treasures there lie in store!We leave him in 1837 with his longed-for election to Parliament,but ahead seemingly appear the high peaks of his career with the twin mountains of his two premierships (首相职位)and his friendship with the Queen.Lord Esher maintained that the letters between Disraeli and Queen Victoria had largely been destroyed,but this was not so.A new,bright and searching light will eventually shine on that extraordinary political and romantic relationship.
迪斯雷利是个极好的信中,作家,因为他是一个小说家.他的信件表明,他的能力,以观察他的能力是匹配的描述只是,他们更以他的自我戏剧作为他的伟大意义,以及他的永久自己的命运.他穿过像一些美丽的鸟儿的天堂,这些网页,传播他的彩色羽毛,从未经过足够长,成为沉闷.  早在1830年,当时只有26,他发现本杰明建议奥斯汀仔细地为他的子孙他的信.幸运的是奥斯汀等人跟随他的意见.作为一个超过10,000导致信件在自己手上存活,撇开口述信件.迪斯雷利很少写日记,书信和他倾注了他的思想,欲望和反思.  有什么宝藏在商店的谎言!我们在1837年离开他,他渴望已久的议会选举,但领先似乎显示他与他的两个首相职位和他的友谊与女王的双山职业生涯的顶峰.主伊歇尔认为,迪斯雷利和维多利亚女王之间的信件已基本被摧毁,但并非如此.一种新的,明亮的光线和搜索,最终将照耀在那特殊的政治和浪漫的关系.
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码使用次数:1
入库时间:None
Last week the manager of an old shop received a letter. As he was very busy, the letter lay on his desk till teatime. Then he opened it and &10 fell out onto his desk. Together with it was a short letter. It read:
In 1935, I got engaged (订婚) ,but unluckily I lost my job. At that time a lot of people were out of work. Six months later, I got a job again, but of course I was very short of money.
&&& I came to your shop to buy a wedding ring. The girl took out some rings for me to look at, but she was called away for a moment, and I put one of the rings in my pocket. When she came back, I said I did not know the size of my girlfriend’s finger. So I left the shop without paying.
&&& My wife died a short while ago and I never paid for her ring. It has been on my conscience (良心) all these years. At that time the ring cost &2, so I think the ring may cost &10 now, and I am sending you the money.
&&&&&&&&&& Yours truly,
&&&&&&&&&&&& A customer&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&Well, well, well, &Said the manager.”Life is full of surprises. &
&& &1. The writer of the letter sent ~10
&&&&&& A. to buy a ring for his wife& &&B. to thank the girl for her kindness
&&&&&& C. to pay for his wife's ring& &&&D. to give an order for a ring
&& &2. How did the writer of the letter get the wedding ring?
&&&&&& A. The girl gave it to him.&&&& B. He bought it from the shop.
&&&&&& C. He borrowed it from the shop. D. He took it out of the shop without paying.
&& &3. Which of the following is not true7
&&&&&& A. He didn’t know the size of his girlfriend's finger.
&&&&&& B. He had not much money at the time.
&&&&&& C. He was out of work for some time.
&&&&&& D. He was engaged in 1935.
& &&4. What made the man write the letter. and send &10 to the shop?
&&&&& A. The police&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. His wife
&&&&& C. The manager&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. His conscience
&& &5. The last sentence of the passage shows that the manager was&&&&&&&&
&&&&& A. afraid of seeing the money
&&&&& B. sorry for what the young man had done
&&&&& C. very sad to lose the money unexpectedly
&&&&& D. too excited to say a word
如果没有找到你要的答案,请尝试下下面的试题答案搜索功能。
用户评论纠错:
&&&&&&暂无评论
我来说几句:
备课中心教案课件试卷下载||||||||||||
||||||||||||
您的位置:&&&&&&&&& 正文
A Summary of the Symbolism in The Scarlet Letter
  [Abstract]: The Scarlet Letter makes the American writer Nathaniel Hawthorne known all around the world. Hawthorne uses the symbolism so skillful that it enhances the artistic effects of his work greatly. This paper researches the symbolism in this novel from the following aspects: the changing symbolic meaning of the scarlet letter, the names of the major characters and many objects that are described in the novel to make the symbolism clear to the readers.
  [Keywords]: The Scarlet Letter, symbolism
  [摘要 ]: 《红字》使美国作家霍桑誉满全球,作者在作品中采用的象征手法贯穿始终的、无处不在,加强了作品的艺术效果。本文从红字的多种象征意义、主要人物的人命寓意以及景物寓意等方面入手,研究《红字》中的象征手法。
  [关键词]:《红字》,象征
  Nathaniel Hawthorne is considered to be the first greatest American fiction writer in the moralistic tradition. His work The Scarlet Letter that is notable for its allegory and symbolism is regarded as the first symbolic novel in American literature. The novel revolves around one major symbol: the scarlet letter. Besides, some other objects that are described in the novel have their symbolic meanings. Moreover, the names of the four major characters': Hester Prynne, Arthur Dimmesdale, Roger Chillingworth and Pearl also have their symbolic meanings. The Scarlet Letter is a novel of much symbolic.
  1. Different meanings of the scarlet letter "A":
  1.1 The Changes of the Symbolic Meaning of the Scarlet Letter "A".
  In this novel, the scarlet letter "A" changes its meaning many different times. This change is significant. It shows growth in the characters, and the community in which they live. The letter "A" begins as a symbol of sin. It then becomes a symbol of alone and alienation, and finally it becomes a symbol of able, angel and admirable.
  1.1.1 Adultery
  The letter "A", worn on Hester's bosom, is a symbol of her adultery against Roger Chillingworth. This is the puritan way of treating her as a criminal, for the crime of adultery. The puritan treatment continues, because as Hester walks through the streets, she will be looked down upon as if she is some sort of demon from hell that commits a terrible crime. This letter is meant to be worn in shame, and to make Hester feel unwanted. "Here, she said to herself, had been the scene of her guilt, and here should be the scene of her earthly punishment…(P74)" Hester is ashamed of her sin, but she chooses not to show it. She commits this sin in the heat of passion, and fully admits it because, though she is ashamed, she also receives her greatest treasure, Pearl, out of it. She is a very strong woman to be able to hold up so well against what she must face. Many will have fled Boston, and seek a place where no one knows of her great sin. Hester chooses to stay though, which shows a lot of strength and integrity. Any woman with enough nerve to hold up against a town, which despises her very existence, and to stay in a place where her daughter is referred to as a "devil child," either has some sort of psychological problem, or is a very tough woman.
  1.1.2 Alone and Alienation
  The scarlet letter "A" also stands for Hester's lonely life in New England. After she is released, Hester lives in a cottage near the outskirts of the city. " It had been built by an earlier settler, and abandoned, because the soil about it was too sterile for cultivation, while its comparative remoteness put it out of the sphere of that social activity which already marked the habits of the emigrants." (P75) Hester's social life is virtually eliminated as a result of her shameful history. Hester comes to have a part to perform in the world with her native energy of character and rare capacity." However, there was nothing that made her feel as if she belonged to it. Every gesture, every word, and even the silence of those with whom she came to contact, implied, and often expressed, that she was banished, and as much alone as if she inhabited another sphere, or communicated with the common nature by other organs and senses than the rest of human kind. She stood apart from moral interests… seemed to be the sole portion that she retained in the universal heart."(P78) Hester has no friends in the world, and little Pearl is the only companion of her lonely life, so the scarlet letter "A" also is a symbol of the words "alone" and "alienate".
  1.1.3 Able, Admirable and Angel
  Later, the scarlet letter "A" changes its meaning into being able, angel and admirable. The townspeople who condemned her now believe the scarlet letter to stand for her ability to her beautiful needlework and for her unselfish assistance to the poor and sick. "The letter was the symbol of her calling. Such helpfulness is found in her so much power to do and power to sympathize - that many people refuses to interpret the scarlet letter ‘A' by its original signification."(P148) At this point, a lot of the townspeople realize what a noble character Hester possesses. "Do you see that woman with the embroidered badge? It is our Hester C the town's own Hester C who is so kind to the poor, so helpful to the sick, so comforting to the afflicted!"(149) The townspeople soon begin to believe that the badge served to ward off evil, and Hester grows to be quite admirable amongst the people of the town. Hester overcomes the shame of her sin through the purity and goodness of her soul. Unselfishly offering her time and love to those who need her most proves that she is not worthy of the fate which has been dealt to her.
  The three changes in the scarlet le they show the progressive possession of her sin, her lonely life, and her ability. Hester is a strong admirable woman who goes through more emotional torture that most people go through in a lifetime.
  1.2.Biblical Archetype
  The scarlet letter "A" also can be seen the symbol of Adam. It tells us that Hester's sin is the original sin of human being, it is forgivable. The writer shows his sympathy by describing the scarlet letter "A" on Hester's clothing as an ornament and a decoration. Hester's making the scarlet letter "A" into a thing of beauty offends many bystanders, who comment that, " it were well if we stripped Madame Hester's rich gown off her dainty shoulders."(P51) However, as a young woman observes, "not a stitch in that embroidered letter, but she has felt it in her heart." (P51) The feeling of sympathy, only expressed by one of the characters throughout this scene, is used by Hawthorne to criticize the puritans for their strictness. The society is too strict in its ways, and Hawthorne shows his contempt for the treatment of Hester by constantly reinforcing how cruelly the people talk about her. Hawthorne says at the end of Chapter One," Finding it (rosebush) so directly on the threshold of our narrative, which is now about to issue from that inauspicious portal, we could hardly do otherwise than pluck one of its flowers, and present it to the reader. It may serve, let us hope, to symbolize some sweat moral blossom, that may be found alone the track, or relieve the darkening close of a tale of human frailty and sorrow."(P46) This kind of sympathy can be seen in the novel everywhere. To Hester, the scarlet letter "A" also stands for her lover, Pearl's father, Arthur Dimmesdale. Her fantastically embroidering the scarlet letter "A", which means adultery, is somehow a way she shows her passion for Arthur. Her refusing to tell the name of Pearl's father is a way to protect him. Her choosing to remain in New England after she is released is because it is the place where her lover stays. " There dwelt, there trod the feet of one with whom she deemed herself connected in a union, before the bar of final judgment, and make that their marriage-alter, for a joint futurity of endless retribution."(P74) She wears the scarlet letter for seven years, and misses her lover in this way. Only when she meets Arthur again in the forest seven years later, deciding to flee to somewhere else, does she throw the scarlet letter away. After Dimmesdale's death, Hester and Pearl disappear for several years. Despite living with her daughter, Hester comes back to live the rest of her life in her cottage again, and picks up the scarlet letter for the third time. To Hester, there is a more real life in New England than in that unknown region where Pearl has founded a home. "Here had been her sin, here, her sorrow, and here was yet to be her penitence." (P238)Moreover, here is where her lover lies. Hester eventually dies and is buried in the King's Chapel Cemetery. " It was near that old and sunken grave, yet with a space between, as if the dust of the two sleepers had no right to mingle. Yet one tombstone served for both."――" ON A FIELD, SABLE, THE LETTER, GULES"(P240)
  2. The Symbolic Meaning of the four Major Characters' Names:
  2.1 Hester Prynne
  Hester Prynne is one of the major characters in The Scarlet Letter. The writer gives her much symbolic meaning by giving her this name. Hester sounds like Hestier, Zeus' sister in Greek mythology, who is a very beautiful goddess. This gives us a sense that Hester is a passionate beautiful woman. In this novel, she is the symbol of the truth, the goodness and the beauty. Nathaniel Hawthorne describes her in Chapter Two like this: "The young woman was tall, a figure of perfect elegance on a large scale, she had dark and abundant hair, so glossy that it threw off the sunshine with a gleam, and a face which, besides being beautiful from regularity of feature and richness of complexion, had the impressiveness belonging to a marked brow and deep black eyes…"(P50) For so many years, Hester refuses to speak out the name of her partner in sin, but takes over all the punishment by herself. Instead of running from the hostile colonists, Hester withstands their insolence and pursues a normal life. She proves her worth with her uncommon sewing skills and provides community service. Hester's own sin gives her "sympathetic knowledge of the sin in other hearts." Even though the people she tries to help "often reviled the hand that was stretched forth to succor them," she continues her services because she actually cares. At last, the colonists come to think of the scarlet letter as " the cross on a nun's bosom", which is not small accomplishment.
  Also, Hester is the homophone of the word haste. At first, she gets married to Roger Prynne, an ugly man who gives his best years to feed the hungry dream of knowledge. Not having got the news about her husband who should have arrived by ship from England, she falls love with Arthur hastily and gives birth to Pearl, for which she is condemned to wear on the breast of her gown the scarlet letter "A", which stands for adultery. But Hester's adultery haste is nothing but a very natural thing to do. In the Holy Bible, Adam and Eve, the very ancestors of human being, who live in the Garden of Eden, eat the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden tricked by the serpent. After that, they begin to know good and evil, and also they begin to know sex. Adultery is nothing but the original sin of human being. God's punishment to them is just sending them forth from the Garden of Eden. But in The Scarlet Letter, Hester is tortured physically and mentally for her sin. Hester says to Dimmesdale in the forest later, "What we did had a consecration of its own, we felt so!"(P179) In essence, their sin is no worse than Adam and Eve ' s. The punishment of puritan society is somehow too hard on a woman who is led by human instinct.
  2.2 Arthur Dimmesdale
  Arthur Dimmesdale is a well-regarded young minister, whose initials are AD, which also stands for adultery. The author obviously tells us Author Dimmesdale is the partner in sin of Hester Prynne by giving him this name. The word Dimmesdale also has many symbolic meanings. Dim means dark and weak, and dale means valley, so the dimdale here is actually a symbol of the "dim-interior" of the clergyman. He loves Hester deeply, and he is the father of Pearl, but he can only show his passion for her in the forest or in darkness. His response to the sin is to lie. He stands before Hester and the rest of the town and proceeds to give a moving speech about how it would be in her and the father's best interest for her to reveal the father's name. Though he never actually says that he is not the other partner, he implies it by talking of the father in third person. Such as, "If thou feelest it to be for thy soul's peace, and that thy earthly punishment will thereby be made more effectual to salvation, I charge thee to speak out the name of thy fellow-sinner and fellow-sufferer"(P63). He concedes his guilt for seven years, he is tortured by his sin for so many years. He punishes himself by believing that he can never be redeemed. He feels that he will never been seen the same in the eyes of God, and that no amount of penitence can ever return him to God's good graces. He hates his hypocrisy to sin, but dares not tell the truth that he is the fellow-sinner of Hester. When he finally decides to expose the truth and tell his followers of how he deceives them, his fixation on his sin has utterly corroded him to the point of death. The only good that comes out of conceding his guilt is that he passes away without any secrets, for he is already too far gone to be able to be saved. At the end of the story, the writer put the morals which press upon the readers from the poor minister's miserable experience into one sentence," Be true! Be true! Be true! Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred!" (P236)
  2.3 Roger Chillingworth
  Roger Chillingworth, like all of Hawthorne's main characters, is complex and difficult to see through. The words "chilling" and "worth" compose the surname Chillingworth. Chilling comes from the word "chilly", which means this man is a merciless avenger. He is calm in temperament, kindly, but keep evil intentions. Being a man already in decay and misshapen from his birth hour, he married Hester, a woman with youth and beauty, deluding himself with the idea that intellectual gifts might veil physical deformity in a young girl's fantasy. He married Hester not because he loved her but because he wanted to light a household fire in his lonely and chilly heart. He is a bookworm who spends his best time in libraries, and shows no love to his young wife. It is he that has destroyed Hester's flower like youth, and indirectly leads to Hester's tragedy. After he discovers that his wife bore another man's child, Roger gives up his independence. He used to be a scholar, who dedicates his best years "to feed the hungry dream of knowledge," but his new allegiance becomes finding and slowly punishing the man who seduces his wife. He soon becomes obsessed with his new mission in life, and when he targets Reverend Dimmesdale as the possible parent, he disguises himself as one trust friend of the minister, attaching himself to him as a parishioner. For seven years, he digs into the minister's heart with keen pleasure. He searches the minister' he causes the poor minister to die daily a living death. He searches into the minister's dim interior for a long time, and turns over many precious a tread, and as wary an outlook, as a thief entering a chamber where a man lies only half asleep,―― or, if it may be, broad awake,―― with purpose to steal the very treasure which this man guards as the apple of his eyes,"(P119) When he finally found the scarlet letter "A" on the bosom of the minister, he busted out a ghastly rapture, When he does these, he is turning from a victim to a sinner. Chillingworth is also means that the avenger's life is worthless. When he finds his wife betrays him, he dedicates all his time to seeking revenge. He gives up his identity, living with the minister and being by his side all day, every day. His largest sacrifice is by far, his own life. After spending so much time dwelling on his revenge, Chillingworth forgets that he still has a change to lead a life of his own. So after Dimmesdale reveals his secret to the world, " All his strength and energy――all his vital and intellectual force―― seemed a in so much that he positively withered up, shriveled away, and almost vanied from mortal sight, like an uprooted weed that lies wilting in the sun."(P236) Chillingworth dies less that a year later because he has nothing left to live for. The poor forlorn creature is more wretched than his victim is―― the avenger had devoted himself.
  2.4 Pearl
  Pearl is one of the most complex and misunderstood symbols in the book, the daughter of Hester Prynne. Pearl, throughout the story, develops into a dynamic symbol - one that is always changing. Pearl was a source of many different kinds of symbolism. From being a living scarlet letter, to a valuable thing with high price, then to the moral in this novel. She was a kind of burden, yet love for Hester.
  The most significant symbolic meaning of Pearl in the novel is her association with the scarlet letter "A". When Hester stood fully revealed before the crowd, it is her first impulse to clasp Pearl
"not so much by an impulse of motherly affection, as that she might thereby conceal a certain token, which was wrought or fastened into her dress."(P50) "In a moment, however, wisely judging that one token of her shame would but poorly serve to hide another, she took the baby on her arm…"(p50 ) Hester embroidered the scarlet letter with gold thread fantastically, and she had allowed the gorgeous tendencies of her imagination their full playing contriving Pearl's garb. "and, indeed, of the child's whole appearance, that it irresistibly reminded the beholder of the token which Hester Prynne was doomed to wear upon her bosom."(P93) Pearl really was the scarlet letter, the scarlet le the scarlet letter endowed with life.
  Pearl is a girl of rich and luxuriant beauty. "There was fire in her and throughout her, she seemed the unpremeditated offshoot of a passionate moment."(P93) The Bible says," the kingdom of heaven is like merchant in s on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it."(Matthew 13-14) Hester named the infant "pearl", as being of great price,―― purchased with all she had,―― her only treasure! if Pearl had never been born, Hester would have never been found guilty of adultery, and thus never would have had to wear that burden upon her chest. Without that burden, Hester would have led a much better life than the one she had throughout the novel. Although Hester has so much trouble with Pearl, she still feels that Pearl is her treasure. Pearl is really the only thing that Hester has in her life. Once and a while, Pearl will bring joy to Hester's life, and that helps her to keep on living. If Pearl isn't in Hester's life, Hester will almost surely have committed suicide. This can be proved in Chapter 8, The Elf-child and the Minister. After Hester gets the permission to still keep Pearl at her side, Mistress Hibbins invites her to go to the forest to meet the Black Man together with her. But Hester refuses and says, with a triumphant smile," I must tarry at home, and keep watch over my little Pearl. Had they taken her from me, I would willingly have gone with thee into the forest, and signed my name in the Black Man's book too, and that with mine own blood!"(P98) It is Pearl that saves Hester from Satan's snare.
  Pearl also serves as moral in this novel, The moral she is meant to teach is that Hester and Dimmesdale should fully commits their sin and then take responsibility for their sin. The first thing Pearl see in her infancy is the scarlet letter on her mother's bosom. As a baby, she even reaches up and touches the letter, causing her mother intense agony at the shame it generated in her. Later, she plays a game when she throws flowers at her mother and jumps around in glee every time, she hits the scarlet letter. She also makes her own letter "A" to wear. When she finds Hester removes the scarlet letter from her chest in the forest, Pearl starts screaming and convulsing and refuses to cross the stream until Hester reattaches the letter. She is really a constant mental and physical reminder to Hester of what she has done wrong. With Pearl at her side, Hester will never escape the punishment of her wrong deed.
  Moreover, Pearl is the person who eventually makes Dimmesdale admit his crime. She constantly asks why the minister keeps putting his hand over his heart, and figures out it is for the same reason that her mother wears the scarlet letter. Her role as a living scarlet letter is to announce to the whole world who the guilt parents are. After Dimmesdale manages to keep the mother and daughter together in the governor's hall, Pearl responses amazingly. She takes his hand and places her cheek against it. This simple gesture is full of meaning, because it implies that Pearl recognizes Dimmesdale as being connected to her. Meanwhile, Pearl's stand of urging the minister to commit his sin is firm. When Dimmesdale stands on the scaffold where Hester suffered her public humiliation several years before, he meets Hester and Pearl, who have been at Governor Winthrop's deathbed, taking measurements for a robe, he invites them to join him on the stand. When all three hold hands, Pearl asks Dimmesdale," Wilt thou stand here with mother and me, tomorrow noontide?"(P140) Dimmesdale answers," Not so, my child, I shall, indeed, stand with thy mother and thee, one other day, but not tomorrow."(P141) Pearl laughs and attempts to pull away her hand until the minister promises to take her hand and her mother's hand at "the great judgment day". When they later meet in the forest, Hester says to Pearl, "He loves thee, my little Pearl, and loves thy mother too. Wilt thou love him?" Pearl says,"Doth he love us?" then asks, "wilt he go back with us, hand in hand, we three together, into the town?" The answer is "not now". So when Dimmesdale impresses a kiss on her brow before they leave the forest, "Pearl broke away from her mother, and, running to the brook, stooped over it, and bathed her forehead, until the unwelcome kiss was quite washed off…"(P194) At the end of the novel, when the minister climbs up the scaffold with the help of Hester and Pearl, confessing his sin to his followers, Pearl kisses his lips. She accepts her father finally. Pearl's role as the living scarlet letter is over, and Dimmesdale, who finally takes responsibility for his sin, has learned the moral, which she is meant to teach.
  3. The Symbolic Meanings of the Objects that are Described in the Novel.
  In The Scarlet Letter, most of the objects that are described have many symbolic meanings. The novel is filled with light and darkness symbols because it represents the most common battle of all time, good versus evil. When Hester and her daughter are walking in the forest, Pearl exclaims:" Mother, the sunshine does not love you. It runs away and hides itself, because it is afraid of something on you bosom. Now see! There it is, playing a good way off. Stand you here, and let me run and catch it. I am but a child. It will not flee from me, for I wear nothing on my bosom yet." (P168) Hester tries to stretch her hand into the circle of light, but the sunshine vanishes. She then suggests that they go into the forest and have rest. This short scene actually represents Hester's daily struggle in life. The light represents what Hester wants to be, which is pure. The movement of the light represents Hester's constant denial of acceptance. Hester's lack of surprise and quick suggestion to go into the forest, where is dark, shows that she never expected to be admitted and is resigned to her station in life. Another way light and darkness is used in symbolism is in the way Hester and Dimmesdale's plan to escape is doomed. Hester and Dimmesdale meet in the shadows of the forest with a gloomy sky and a threatening storm overhead when they discuss their plans for the future. The gloomy weather and shadows exemplify the fact that they can't get away from the repressive force of their sins. It is later proven when Dimmesdale dies on the scaffold! Instead of leaving with Hester and going to England. A final example occurs in the way Hester and Dimmesdale can not acknowledge their love in front of others. When they meet in the woods, they feel that," No golden light had ever been so precious as the gloom of this dark forest."(P199) This emotion foretells that they will never last together openly because their sin has separated them too much from normal life.
  The opening chapter introduces several of the images and the themes within the story to follow." The founders of a new colony, whatever Utopia of human virtue and happiness they might originally project, have invariably recognized it among their earliest practical necessities to allot a portion of the virgin soil as a cemetery, and another portion as the site of a prison."(P45) The prison represents several different symbols. Foremost it is a symbol for the Puritanical severity of law. The description of the prison indicates that it is old, rusted, yet strong with an "iron-clamped oaken door." This represents the rigorous enforcement of laws and the inability to break free of them. The prison also serves as the symbol of the authority of the regime, which will not tolerate deviance. Hawthorne directly challenges this notion by throwing the name Ann Hutchinson into the opening pages. Hutchinson was a religious woman who disagreed with the Puritanical teachings, and as a result was imprisoned in Boston. Hawthorne claims that it is possible the beautiful rosebush growing directly at the prison door sprang from her footsteps. "But, on one side of the portal, and rooted almost at the threshold, was a wild rose-bush, covered, in this month of June, with its delicate gems, which might be imagined to offer their fragrance and fragile beauty to the prisoner as he went in, and to the condemned criminal as the came forth to his doom, in token that the deep heart if Nature could pity and be kind to him."(P46) This implies that the Puritanical authoritarianism may be too rigid, to the point of obliterating things of beauty.
  The rose bush is a symbol of passion. As will later become obvious, Hester Prynne's sin is one of passion, thus linking her crime to the image of the rosebush. Hawthorne also indirectly compares Hester with Ann Hutchinson via the rosebush, and again makes the same parallel in Chapter 13, Another View of Hester. Hawthorne cleverly links the rosebush to the wilderness surrounding Boston, commenting that the bush may be a remnant of the former forest, which covered the area. This is important, because it is only in the forest wilderness where the Puritans' laws fail to have any force. Thus the image of the rosebush serves to foreshadow that some of the passionate wilderness, in the form of Hester Prynne, may have accidentally made its way into Boston. The rosebush in full bloom indicates that Hester is at the peak of her passion. This parallels the fact that Hester has just born a child as a result of her passion. The child is thus comparable to the blossoms on the rosebush. Hawthorn's comment that the rose may serve as a "moral blossom" in the story is therefore actually saying that Hester's child will serve to provide the moral of the story.
  After Hester is released from prison, she finds a cottage in the woods, near the outskirts of the city. Her choice of habitation is crucial to the symbolism within the novel. The forest represents love, or the wilderness where the strict morals of the Puritan community cannot apply. Thus, when Hester makes her home on the outskirts of the city, directly on the edge of the woods, she is putting herself in a place of limbo between the moral and the immoral universes. This is important because it shows that Hester does not live under the strict Puritanical moral code, but rather tries to live in both worlds simultaneously. Hawthorne uses the forest to provide a kind of shelter for members of society in need of a refuge from daily Puritan life.
  In the deep, dark portions of the forest, many of the pivotal characters bring forth hidden thoughts and emotions. The forest track leads away from the settlement out into the wilderness where all sign mandates of law and religion, to a refuge where men, as well as women, can open up and be themselves. It is here that Dimmesdale openly acknowledges Hester and his undying love for her. It is also here that the two of them can openly engage in conversation without being preoccupied with the constraints that Puritan society place on them.
  When Hester takes Pearl with her to the Governor's Hall in order to plea with Governor Bellingham to let her keep Pearl, whom the Governor felt would be better raised in a more Christian household. Pearl looks around in the mansion and sees the shiny metal of the Governor's suit of armor. She then calls her mother's attention to the fact that the convex shape of the armor grotesquely magnifies the scarlet letter, causing it to appear gigantic. Hester feels that Pearl must be, "an imp who was seeking to mold itself into Pearl's shape". (P97) It is the symbol of the Puritan society's ever - lasting punishment to Hester's sin.
  Symbolism is a tradi it also is a major feature of Romanticism. As a famous writer of romanticism, Hawthorne is skillful at the using of symbolism in his works. The various usage of symbolism in The Scarlet Letter makes the novel a work of the world.
栏目相关课程表
北京语言大学毕业,国内某知名中学英语教研组长,教学标兵&&
特别整理每天的New,一分钟左右的音频作为听写练习&&
  1、凡本网注明 &来源:外语教育网&的所有作品,版权均属外语教育网所有,未经本网授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他方式使用;已经本网授权的,应在授权范围内使用,且必须注明&来源:外语教育网&。违反上述声明者,本网将追究其法律责任。
  2、本网部分资料为网上搜集转载,均尽力标明作者和出处。对于本网刊载作品涉及版权等问题的,请作者与本网站联系,本网站核实确认后会尽快予以处理。本网转载之作品,并不意味着认同该作品的观点或真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人转载使用,请与著作权人联系,并自负法律责任。
  3、联系方式
  编辑信箱:
  电话:010-2}

我要回帖

更多关于 may be 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信