完型:i stopped at a bankin the last weekk to make a depos

Subscription options
$3 / Month : $3.00 USD - monthly
$7 / Month : $7.00 USD - monthly
$10 / Month : $10.00 USD - monthly
$25 / Month : $25.00 USD - monthly
Subscribe to our e-mail list
Ray JeffreyWe talked to Ray Jeffrey, attorney for Monique Rathbun, who confirmed that Judge Dib Waldrip has granted Monique’s motion for a continuance in her harassment lawsuit against the Church of Scientology so she can have the time to depose its leader, David Miscavige.
And although Scientology attorneys asked that it be a written deposition, Jeffrey tells us the judge did not agree to that.
“He has ordered the deposition of Miscavige with no restrictions. It will be a regular deposition like any other,” Jeffrey said.
At the end of today’s session, Scientology attorneys suddenly asked Judge Waldrip for an open-ended stay of proceedings so they could have the time to petition the state appeals court regarding the deposition order. Waldrip instead gave them just one week — until 5 pm on December 20 — to obtain a stay from the Austin appeals court.
“For us, the stay means we’re not supposed to set up the deposition for one week,” Jeffrey said. But it should take considerably longer than that to schedule Miscavige’s testimony.
In fact, Scientology’s attorneys submitted Miscavige’s upcoming schedule through March 31, which apparently showed the “ecclesiastical leader” has a dizzying array of events and tasks to accomplish.
“Judge Waldrip seemed unimpressed with it,” Jeffrey said. “There’s no time that they’re not going to claim that he’s super busy.”
Today’s session was a continuation of a hearing that had begun on Wednesday. At the end of that day, Judge Waldrip was handed huge binders of material — Scientology’s objections to Monique’s supporting documents — but he apparently came into court this morning very prepared.
“It happened very fast. Within 15 minutes, he said he had read about half of the declarations, had read one of the depositions, and said that
plaintiffs had a colorable basis in fact for the need to take the deposition of David Miscavige,” Jeffrey said.
Scientology then tried to talk Judge Waldrip out of his decision, Jeffrey said.
The Scientology attorneys began complaining that the decision was a violation of Miscavige’s religious freedom. Jeffrey then pointed out that during the recent scandals with the Catholic Church, bishops and archbishops had given depositions without it violating their religious freedom.
“But not the Pope!” exclaimed Ricardo Cedillo, attorney for Scientology.
“We all laughed at that, and so did the judge,” Jeffrey said.
“The big mistake they made was leveling so many objections, and they actually gave the judge a format, a box for checking every objection sustained or overruled on the documents,” Jeffrey said. That burden forced Waldrip to place very close attention to the many declarations that Monique had submitted. Those declarations, he adds, were intended to be very persuasive.
Also, Jeffrey surprised Scientology’s attorneys by bringing with him a proposed order for deposing not only Miscavige, but also the church leader’s wife, Shelly Miscavige, his personal “communicator” Laurisse, and also Linda Hamel, who runs Scientology’s spy wing, the Office of Special Affairs.
Shelly Miscavige has not been seen in public since late 2005 except for a brief appearance at the funeral of her father in the summer of 2007. It’s believed that she’s being kept out of sight at a small Scientology compound in the mountains above Los Angeles.
“They freaked out over that,” Jeffrey said.
He did not end up submitting that order for Waldrip’s approval, but Jeffrey says he still can do that in the future.
“The main thing is we get the time to do discovery. David Miscvaige is still in this lawsuit, and has to give his deposition.”
Miscavige had argued that he had nothing to do with the harassment campaign that Monique alleges made her life miserable over the past four years. And although one church entity, the Church of Scientology International, has admitted to running that campaign, Miscavige claims that he has nothing to do with CSI and instead only runs a different church entity, the Religious Technology Center (RTC), and should be let out of the lawsuit. Monique argues that he runs all aspects of Scientology, and she should have the ability to depose Miscavige before Judge Waldrip can make a decision about Miscavige’s request to be let out of the suit.
Today, Waldrip agreed.
——————–
Posted by Tony Ortega on December 13, 2013 at 14:50
E-mail your tips and story ideas to
or follow us on . We post behind-the-scenes updates at our . Here at the Bunker we try to have a post up every morning at 7 AM Eastern (Noon GMT), and on some days we post an afternoon story at around 2 PM. After every new story we send out an alert to our e-mail list and our FB page.完形填空 It was a cold winter night. I stopped my car at a shop on my way home from a ___百度知道
完形填空 It was a cold winter night. I stopped my car at a shop on my way home from a __
It was a cold winter night. I stopped my car at a shop on my way home from a __31__. I was going home late and my husband, being a punctual(守时) person, would surely be unhappy.I was paying for my things when I heard an old couple(夫妇) __32__ the way to the hospital which I had just left a few minutes before. The shop owner was trying to be __33__. “Just go down and cross the bridge, then turn left at the second… no, the third traffic lights… hm… What’s the name of that road?” At this time, __34__ person who seemed to be their driver came near. The couple began retelling the directions to him.I walked to the couple and said, “Would you like to __35__ me to the hospital?”The woman looked at me thankfully, “Are you sure it’s not too much __36__?” she said. “We’re from Ohio. We just heard that my brother had a heart attack(突发心脏病) and I don’t know how __37__ it is… and I hope it’s not too late…”“I’m in the green car, __38__ just go after me,” I said as I had a feeling of urgency(紧急). It took us about fifteen minutes to get there. I said __39__ to them after I had told them where they could park their car.As I arrived home, my husband said __40__, “So, you are late again.” I smiled, “Sometimes it’s good to be late!”31. A. bank
D. hospital32. A. telling
B. discussing
D. finding33. A. great
B. helpful
C. hopeful
D. polite34. A. another
B. the other
D. others35. A. invite
D. take36. A. danger
D. trouble37. A. well
D. weak38. A. as
D. but39. A. sorry
D. goodbye40. A. angrily
B. happily
C. quickly
D. proudly
提问者采纳
d c b a c d c b d a
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁听下面一段材料,回答第1-3题。
1. Where does the conversation take place?
A. At a police station.B. At a bank.C. At a travel agency.
2. With which account can the man take out money more freely?
A. A new account.B. A depos_百度作业帮
听下面一段材料,回答第1-3题。
A. A new account.B. A depos
听下面一段材料,回答第1-3题。
A. A new account.B. A deposit account.C. A current account.
3. What can we learn from the conversation?
A. The man has to pay$1500 in all.B. The man has got two accounts.C. The man knows the service well.小题1:C小题2:C小题3:C小题4:C小题5:A小题6:A小题7:B小题8:A小题9:D小题10:C小题11:C小题12:A小题13:B小题14:A小题15:B小题16:C小题17:B小题18:D小题19:B小题20:A 试题分析:母亲节老师让学生们给妈妈做个卡片,玛丽却给爸爸做了张卡片,老师和爸爸看了都流泪了。小题1:考查动词辨析:A. cut切,B. took拿,C. folded折叠,D. spread蔓延,然后她将纸折叠成一半。选C小题2:考查名词辨析:A. heart心脏,B. hands手,C. face脸,D. body身体,选她的脸变的很热,选C小题3:考查动词辨析:A . ran跑,B. jumped跳,C. walked走,D. did做,在老师朝她走过来的时候,她用胳膊将卡片盖住,选C小题4:考查动词辨析:A. catch 抓住,B. leave离开,C. read读,D. place地方,Mrs. Berry轻轻地抬起它,这样她就可以读到了,选C小题5:考查副词辨析:A. still仍然,B. alone单独,C. up向上,D. down向下,玛丽坐着不动,等着老师说些什么。选A小题6:考查名词辨析:A. tear眼泪,B. hair头发,C. smile微笑,D. spot地点,污点,但是她看见眼泪从老师的面颊上流下来,选 A小题7:考查动词辨析:A. happy快乐的,B. upset不安的,C. satisfied&&&满意的,D. glad高兴的,她从来没有让老师这么难过。选B小题8:考查动词辨析:A. waited等待,B. worked工作,C. stood站立,D. sat坐,放学后,她等到所有的孩子都离开了,这样她就可以向老师道歉。选A小题9:考查连词辨析:A. because因为,B. until直到,C. unless除非,D. if如果,如果你想要的h话,我会再做一张卡片,选D小题10:考查动词辨析:A. take拿, B. hold保持,C. bring&带来,D. catch抓住,我会在家做,明天带来,选C小题11:考查疑问词:你在说什么?用What,选C小题12:考查副词辨析:A. right正确的,B. quickly 快地,C. wrong错的,D. carefully仔细地,我知道你很难过,因为我做的不对。选A小题13:考查形容词辨析:A. worst最坏的,B. best最好的,C. favorite最喜欢的,D. simplest最简单的,玛丽,这是我们班级最好的卡片。选B小题14:考查形容词辨析:A. sweet甜美的,亲切的,B. wild&野的,C. useful有用的,D. hard困难的,它是如此的亲切以至于我都哭了,选A小题15:考查形容词辨析:A. regretful&遗憾的,B. happy快乐的,C. brave勇敢的,D. rude粗鲁的,玛丽高兴的跑出了教室,选B小题16:考查动词辨析:A. seemed似乎,B. refused&拒绝,C. decided决定,D. promised答应,那天爸爸下班回家,玛丽决定早早的给他卡片。选C小题17:考查动词辨析:A. recording记录,B. drawing画,C. discovery发现,D. writing写,卡片的前面画的是玛丽爸爸的图画。选B小题18:考查名词辨析: A. teacher教师,B. sister 姐姐, C. aunt阿姨,D. mommy妈妈,我知道你又当爸爸又当妈妈很辛苦,选D小题19:考查动词辨析:A. hope希望,B. wish愿望,C. want想要,D. congratulate祝贺,祝你母亲节快乐,选B小题20:考查动词辨析:A. crying哭,B. joking玩笑,C. worrying担心,D. laughing笑,当爸爸读卡片的时候,他哭了,选A
请选择年级高一高二高三请输入相应的习题集名称(选填):
科目:高中英语
来源:不详
题型:完形填空
Our children grew up on jelly(果酱) sandwiches.Even my husband and I sometimes have one late at night with a glass of milk.I wasn’t the jelly maker in this ____.My mother&in&law was.The only contribution I made to the jelly making was to ____ baby food jars,which my mother&in&law would ___ with the tasty gel(胶滞体) and send back home with us.For the past 22 years,____ I wanted to make a jelly sandwich,all I had to do was ____ one of those little jars of jelly.Jelly making was just a way of life for my mother&in&law.She always followed the same ____—from picking the fruit to setting the ____ jelly on the home&made shelves.My mother&in&law passed away last December.Among the things in the house to be ____ by her children were the ____ canned goods.Each of her children chose from the many jars of tomato juice,green beans and jelly.When my husband ____ his jars home,we carefully put them away in our kitchen.The other day I reached the kitchen for some jelly,and there it was.Sitting all ____ on the far side of the shelf was a small jar.The lid was rusty.As I picked up the jar,I suddenly realized something that I had ____ to see earlier.Yes,this was the ____ jar we would ever have from the patient,____ hands of my mother&in&law.It seemed like such a ____ thing,and most days it was something that was taken for granted.But today it seemed a valuable ____.I put the jelly back on the shelf.We have many things that ____ belonged to my mother&in&law.These are the kinds of things that we expect to pass on to our children.But I’m just not ____ to give up this last jelly jar,and all the ___ its presence allows me to hold onto.The jar of jelly won’t keep that ____.It will either have to be eaten or thrown out...but not today.小题1:A.marketB.villageC.familyD.group小题2:A.saveB.throwC.chooseD.paint小题3:A.coverB.fillC.provideD.decorate小题4:A.beforeB.wheneverC.thoughD.since小题5:A.turn onB.take upC.pick outD.reach for小题6:A.exampleB.routineC.passionD.rule小题7:A.mixedB.changedC.finishedD.boiled小题8:A.destroyedB.movedC.donatedD.divided小题9:A.tastyB.expensiveC.commonD.suitable小题10:A.broughtB.packedC.sentD.left小题11:A.aloneB.patientlyC.worriedlyD.along小题12:A.forgottenB.expressedC.consideredD.failed小题13:A.lastB.particularC.deliciousD.large小题14:A.poorB.painfulC.lovingD.shaking小题15:A.smallB.newC.strangeD.good小题16:A.experienceB.treasureC.opportunityD.prize小题17:A.already B.onlyC.onceD.still小题18:A.afraidB.eagerC.readyD.upset小题19:A.lessonsB.memoriesC.effortsD.feelings小题20:A.safeB.lightC.softD.long
I drove to a local supermarket the other day. My shopping list was&&&&&and my wallet was light. Still, I needed to get a week’s worth of groceries for my family. I parked my car, looked down at my list, and hoped I could &&&&&&it all.
As I &&&&&&the door, I saw a man with kind eyes and a gentle&&&&&&. He said he was collecting for a local food bank that helped to&&&&&the hungry in my area. He handed me a second shopping list of things they could use and asked me to&&&&&if I could. I smiled back, took the &&&&&&&and walked into the store. I really wanted to help, but wasn’t sure if I could this time. I walked through the store, picking up vegetables, soup, spaghetti, bread, milk, cereal, macaroni, bananas, and a dozen other things. I slowly &&&&&&each item off my list until I was done. When I looked down at my full cart I &&&&&again if I even had enough to pay for it all. Then, as I put my own list back into my pocket, I saw the food&&&&&list under it. I smiled and decided to trust my heart. With the food bank in mind, I went over and &&&&&two of the biggest boxes of rice the store had and put them in my cart. It took &&&&&six dollars out of my wallet to pay for them, &&&&&&my heart felt six times larger when I did. And when everything was &&&&, I had just enough to pay for it all. It &&&&&&so little to make our world a better place. A few dollars can help to fill a child’s &&&&&&belly(肚子). A smile and hug can help to &&&&&&&a hurting heart. An encouraging word can inspire someone else to live and to love. A random &&&&&&&of kindness can change another’s day and life. It is up to us, &&&&&&. If we can &&&&&&a few dollars on rice , then we can share a love that will last forever. 小题1:A.short B.longC.frequent D.heavy小题2:A.offer B.exchangeC.affordD.accept小题3:A.approachedB.paintedC.cleanedD.left小题4:A.attitudeB.mannerC.smileD.anger小题5:A.share B.train C.protectD.feed小题6:A.helpB.write C.advertiseD.search小题7:A.nameB.projectC.listD.budget小题8:A.signedB.markedC.ridD.separated小题9:A.wanderedB.wonderedC.fanciedD.amazed小题10:A.storeB.cartC.nutrition D.bank小题11:A.picked outB.lifted up C.picked upD.folded up小题12:A.otherB.othersC.moreD.another小题13:A.soB.butC.andD.since小题14:A.orderedB.totaledC.replacedD.packed小题15:A.takesB.spendsC.paysD.wastes小题16:A.hungryB.adequateC.anxiousD.full小题17:A.cureB.treatC.heal D.recover小题18:A.abilityB.allowanceC.appreciationD.act小题19:A.althoughB.though C.yetD.still小题20:A.saveB.rescueC.accumulateD.reserve
题型:阅读理解
It had been three months since Ms Miller had started teaching. She was gradually being able to understand all her students, except one, Bob. Bob was the only boy who came to school dressed untidily and sat in the class completely lost in his own world. His performance had been deteriorating gradually with every single day. Ms Miller searched through the progress reports of Bob and was shocked to see Bob used to be the topper in his class. Bob's performance began to slowly decline when his mother fell ill. He was doing badly in each and every subject when his mother died leaving him alone with his father, who was a businessman and had to travel always. Apart from his performance worsening gradually, Bob's nature too began to change. He had forgotten to laugh and showed no interest in any activity. All his friends had abandoned him. One day, Bob was asked to stay back.Ms Miller asked him if he had any problem understanding his lessons. Gradually she began to give him a comfort zone so that he could talk and share. After three weeks, she found Bob gradually improving. He was being able to answer the questions he previously failed. Every day after all the students went away, Ms Miller gave personal attention to Bob and began to spend time with him. Bob improved a lot over the next semester, showing definite signs of progress in his performance. On a Friday, Bob came up to Ms Miller, handed her a box and requested her to open the box on Sunday. On Sunday morning, curious, she opened it and saw a bottle of perfume, half filled. Together with it was a small letter, saying that this bottle of perfume used to be his mother's and he wished Ms Miller to wear it so that every time she was around, he could feel his Mom near him. He thanked her for everything. Ms Miller took the bottle of perfume in her hand and saw a ne it said "Happy Mother's Day”! Ms Miller suddenly realized that it was not she who had made a difference to Bob's life but it was Bob who made her realize what true humanity is!小题1:According to the text, Bob________.A.wore clean clothes all the timeB.was taller than any other one in his classC.lost all of his friends after his mother's deathD.could always have his father for company at home小题2:The underlined word "deteriorating" in Paragraph l probably means________.A.worseningB.changingC.thrillingD.Improving小题3: Paragraph 3 is mainly about________.A.why Ms Miller would like to help Bob.B.what Ms Miller did to help Bob. C.how Bob attracted Ms Miller’s attention.D.where Bob could sit comfortably小题4:The bottle of perfume given to Ms Miller______.A.showed Bob was thankful for Ms Miller’s helpB.was given on Mother’s DayC.made Bob a different studentD.was new and never used before小题5:What does the author wanted to tell us ______.A.a teacher can totally change a student’s lifeB.family is the most important place for kidsC.children don’t have to solve problems by themselvesD.one should have sympathy for another’s suffering and offer help
My tire was flat. And I was on a country road. When I &&&&&with the tire, a car pulled off the road behind me. I saw a male &&&&&and said, “Hey, do you need any help?”  I literally was &&&&. This young guy was dressed in black. Nearly everything imaginable was tattooed(纹身). When he asked to give me a &&&&, I &&&&&someone sitting in his car. That &&&&&me. Thoughts of robberies flashed through my mind. Then, it began to &&&&. It hit like a waterfall and made it &&&&&to finish the tire change. With the car jacked(千斤顶托起) up, I was &&&&&to get in my car. “Get in my car” he insisted, “We’ll wait with you until the rain stops.” “No. I don’t need your help.” I said. “Come on. Get in.” he said as he &&&&&my arm and pulled me toward his car. “Oh, God, protect me!” I &&&&&to myself. As I settled into the back seat, suddenly a delicate &&&&&came from the front seat of the car. “Are you all right?” “Yes, I am,” I replied with much &&&&&seeing an old woman there. “My name is Beatrice and this is my neighbor John. John takes me to visit my husband in a nursing home every day. He is a really nice guy.”“John, I had thought you were, well, ah, you know I…” Embarrassment &&&&&my words. John laughed, “I often experienced &&&&&reaction. I actually thought about changing the way I look. &&&&&then I saw it as an opportunity to see others.”He was right. What he wore outside was just a &&&&&of the world as he saw it, but what he wore &&&&&was the spirit of giving and caring the world he wanted to see. I never believed that I should &&&&&&people by the way they dressed. I was&&&&&with myself for what I did. The rain stopped and John and I changed the tire. As we shook hands I apologized for my stupidity.小题1:A.waitedB. repairedC. struggledD. continued小题2:A.turnedB. approachedC. boardedD.[ stopped小题3:A.delightedB. calmC. frightenedD. excited小题4:A.lookB. aidC. fineD. hand小题5:A.recognizedB. metC. noticedD. watched小题6:A.amazedB. attractedC. confusedD. concerned小题7:A.pourB. startC. fallD. break小题8:A.possibleB. necessaryC. unnecessaryD. impossible小题9:A.readyB. eagerC. unableD. unsuitable小题10:A. touchedB. graspedC. placedD. controlled小题11:A. thoughtB. expectedC. repliedD. cried小题12:A. toneB. voiceC. soundD. alarm小题13:A. reliefB. shockC. easeD. sorrow小题14:A. blockedB. stuckC. chokedD. struck小题15:A. helpfulB. shamefulC. abnormalD. unfriendly小题16:A. AndB. SoC. ButD. Or小题17:A. reflectionB. conclusionC. concernD. meaning小题18:A. aroundB. alongC. throughD. inside小题19:A. decideB. appreciateC. judgeD. sniff小题20:A. angryB. gratefulC. strictD. content
How often do you let other people’s nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, impolite waiter,rude boss,or an insensitive employee &&&&&your day?One day I was in a taxi and we headed&&&&__ the airport. We were driving in the&&&&&&&lane when suddenly a black car drove out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes,slide sideways,and at the very last moment our car stopped and narrowly &&&&&the other car by just inches!The driver of the other car looked around and started &&&&&at us. My taxi driver just &&&&&and waved at the guy. And I mean he was really &&&&. So I asked, “Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!” This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call “The Law of the Garbage Truck”.He&&&&that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of &&&,full of frustration,full of anger,and full of disappointment. As their garbage &&&&&up,they need a place to dump (倒) it and sometimesthey’ll dump it on &&&&. Don’t take it personally. Just smile,wave,wish them well,and move on.Believe me. You’ll be more&&&. Don’t take their garbage and &&&&&it to other people at work,at home,or on the streets, Life’s too short to wake up in the morning with &&&&. The mark of your success is how quickly you can refocus on what’s &&&&&in your life. Roy Baumeister,a psychology researcher from Florida State University,found in his extensive research that you &&&&&bad things more often than good things in your life. You store the bad memories rather easily, and you &&&&&them more frequently.So...Love the people who treat you right. Ignore the ones who don’t. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you &&&&&it!When you follow “The Law of the Garbage Truck”,you take back control of your life. You make room for the good by &&&&&go of the bad. Have a Garbage Free Day!Have a marvelous,garbage-free day!The seeds you plant today &&&&&the harvest you reap tomorrow.小题1:A.injureB.ruinC.hurtD.harm小题2:A.throughB.fromC.inD.for小题3:A.latterB.rightC.oppositeD.free小题4:A.knockedB.overtookC.missedD.left小题5:A.laughingB.throwingC.glancingD.yelling小题6:A.wonderedB.smiledC.ignoredD.guessed小题7:A.friendlyB.angryC.frightenedD.disappointed小题8:A.showedB.suggestedC.explainedD.hated小题9:A.expectationB.passengersC.garbageD.goods小题10:A.turnsB.pushesC.holdsD.piles小题11:A.roadsB.childrenC.youD.dustbins小题12:A.healthyB.happyC.pitifulD.wealthy小题13:A.spreadB.shareC.explainD.contribute小题14:A.surpriseB.pleasureC.doubtD.regrets小题15:A.funnyB.importantC.strangeD.embarrassing小题16:A.rememberB.forgetC.valueD.appreciate小题17:A.enjoyB.exchangeC.recall D.imagine小题18:A.inspireB.takeC.mendD.notice小题19:A.lettingB.consistingC.makingD.dreaming小题20:A.distinguishB.deserveC.deliverD.determine
I hadn’t even got a chance to enter the store before an African American woman approached me and asked if I would help her return an item. The item she has ___& __ was intended for her daughter, but she had already received a similar one. The lady ___& __ to exchange the item for something else in the store but she was told she needed an ID or the deal could not take place.I went to the __& __ with the woman so we could use my ID. The sales associate immediately started ___& ___ her of asking the first random person she saw to help her. Although that was true , I didn’t understand why it mattered. After all, not everyone is given the opportunity to __& __ an ID in this country.Then, we asked to speak with a manager, who explained that there was no way to return the item without a receipt and then went on to say the woman could not ___& ___ she purchased the item.“If I , a young white female, were to enter the store and request you to make an exchange without a receipt, I would not be ___& __ the privilege--- as I have proof from the past.” I said. He must have realized at that moment what he had done, because he ___& __ to exchange the item.There are many valuable lessons in the story. The first is to help a stranger in need. I hesitated when the woman asked for my help, but ___& ___ in my hand I asked myself, “ Why not? What valid reasons do I usually have?” I had none, so I helped her.The second lesson is not to judge a book by its cover. The woman looked poor, but she ___& __ the same treatment as anyone else does.小题1:A.purchasedB.shownC.lostD.mended小题2:A.managedB.wantedC.refusedD.promised小题3:A.counterB.departmentC.marketD.window小题4:A.warningB.informingC.reminding D.accusing小题5:A.leaveB.payC.findD.obtain小题6:A.answerB.proveC.supportD.admit小题7:A.orderedB.askedC.deniedD.given小题8:A.agreedB.preparedC.failedD.remembered小题9:A.totallyB.graduallyC.hardlyD.quickly小题10:A.deservedB.requiredC.receivedD.appreciated
题型:阅读理解
While watching the Olympics the other night,I came across an unbelievable sight.It was not a gold medal,or a world record broken,but a show of courage.The event was swimming and started with only three men on the blocks.For one reason or another,two of them false started,so they were disqualified.That left only one to compete.It would have been difficult enough,not having anyone to race against,even though the time on the clock is important.I watched the man dive off the block and knew right away that something was wrong.I’m not an expert swimmer,but I can tell a good dive from a poor one,and this was not exactly medal quality.When he resurfaced,it was evident that the man was not out for gold – his arms were waving in an attempt at freestyle.The crowd started to laugh.Clearly this man was not a medal competitor.I listened to the crowd begin to laugh at this poor man who was clearly having a hard time.Finally he made his turn to start back.It was pitiful.He made a few desperate strokes and you could tell he was worn out.But in those few awful strokes,the crowd had changed.No longer were they laughing,but beginning to cheer.Some even began to stand and shout “Come on,you can do it!” and he did.A clear minute past the average swimmer,this young man finally finished his race.The crowd went wild.You would have thought that he had won the gold,and he should have.Even though he recorded one of the slowest times in Olympic history,this man gave more heart than any of the other competitors.Just a short year ago,he had never even swum,let alone race.His country had been invited to Sydney.In a competition where athletes remove their silver medals feeling they have somehow been cheated out of gold,or when they act so proudly in front of their competitors,it is nice to watch an underdog.小题1:From the passage we can learn that the young man&&&&&&&&.A.made his turn to start back pitifullyB.was skillful in freestyle in the gameC.swam faster than the average swimmerD.was not capable enough to win the medal小题2:The crowd changed their attitudes because&&&&&&&&&.A.they felt sorry for the young manB.they were moved by the young man’s courageC.they wanted to show their sympathyD.they meant to please the young man小题3:According to the passage,“it is nice to watch an underdog” probably means&&&&&&&&&.A.it’s amazing to watch an ordinary man challenging himselfB.it’s amusing to watch a man with awful swimming skillsC.it’s cheerful for athletes to act proudly before their competitorsD.it’s brave enough for some athletes to remove the silver medals小题4:Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage?A.The event started with three men,two of whom were disqualified later.B.The crowd started to laugh at the athlete’s arms waving in an attempt at freestyle.C.The athlete,as well as the author,is an expert swimmer.D.The swimming event is a show of courage rather than a fierce competition.小题5:What’s the best title for the passage?A.Compete for Gold!B.Try again!C.Break a Record!D.Go for it!
When Alice started to cycle home from Jenny’s house, she wasn’t nervous. She was certainly not afraid of the dark. ______, it was only a 15-minute ride home. But halfway there, she began to wish that she hadn’t been so ______.As she rounded a sharp bend, it suddenly ______ cold — very cold. Alice’s breath became puffs of white cloud and her legs were so cold that it became hard to ride.With her heart beating fast, she struggled so hard to move ____ that she didn’t hear the car which suddenly appeared beside her. She stopped by the road. The big black car also ______. Slowly, the passenger-window began to slide down. Alice held her breath. In the soft light inside the car, something ______. Then, the light brightened and Alice was staring at a sweet, grey-haired old lady. “Hello, dear, ” said the old lady. “I need ______. I’m afraid I’m lost. I need to find the nearest airport. I must be there in the next five minutes. ”“Airport? You ______ are lost, ” Alice said. “You need to go back five kilometers ______ you reach the T-junction. Turn left and ______ for about another 10 kilometers to the main highway. From there, just follow the ______ to the airport. But I’m afraid there’s no ______ you’ll get there in five minutes!”“Thank you very much, dear, ” replied the old lady. “Don’t worry — I’ll ____ in time. ”The ______ moved up and the car started off. A little way ahead, it ______ and with headlights flashing, it drove past Alice. But then, something ______ happened. The car began changing. First, its color ______ from black to silvery-grey. Then, the wheels began disappearing, but the car continued to move forward, ______ just above the ground. As the car ______ into the dark sky, the big red tail-lights grew larger and larger and glowed more and more brightly. With a faint whistling ______, the car was gone in seconds, leaving Alice shaking her head in disbelief…小题1:A.HoweverB.BesidesC.ThereforeD.Otherwise小题2:A.braveB.excitedC.curiousD.stubborn小题3:A.fellB.seemedC.provedD.grew小题4:A.asideB.aroundC.forwardD.backward小题5:A.arrivedB.stoppedC.stayedD.started小题6:A.gatheredB.existedC.droppedD.moved小题7:A.helpB.gasC.restD.water小题8:A.necessarilyB.normallyC.basicallyD.certainly小题9:A.ifB.untilC.unlessD.as小题10:A.driveB.walkC.followD.march小题11:A.addressB.signsC.noticesD.guidance小题12:A.doubtB.roomC.timeD.way小题13:A.have itB.get itC.make itD.finish it小题14:A.doorB.windowC.headlightD.wheel小题15:A.passedB.rushedC.turnedD.continued小题16:A.strangeB.sensitiveC.imaginableD.horrible小题17:A.developedB.appearedC.spreadD.faded小题18:A.rollingB.floatingC.drawingD.flashing小题19:A.pointedB.returnedC.brokeD.rose小题20:A.tuneB.voiceC.soundD.tone}

我要回帖

更多关于 last weekend英语作文 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信