i like visiting m because i can see manymany other thingss

HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Sorry. It looks like there isn.t a page on our website at the address you requested (or it may be temporarily unavailable).
SUGGESTIONS...
Check your typing if you manually entered the URL
Search again, right here...
In case you were looking for something on the EarthLink website, here are some of our most popular products:Many people have been asking why and how I am losing weight. So I’ll tell you. Most of you guys saw me for the 1st time in the documentary. Well that was the heaviest I have ever been. 254 pounds. You see, I just got done sitting at a computer for 2 and a half months editing up two NASCAR reality TV shows. I went and spent tons of money following around two drivers in the NASCAR races with a crew of 6 people that I hired to shoot it. It was so much fun. I got to go on the tracks, in the pits, and see NASCAR first-hand. When I was done I had to go home and edit the 2 shows to pitch to networks to be sold. Now when I was home it was junk food and mochas all day to keep me awake as I sat there for 15 hours a day for 2 and a half months. That adds weight real fast on a person.
Fast forward to 5 months ago. That’s about the time I took sugars out of my everyday routine. No more mochas just black coffee. Instead of ice cream I went to yogurt. Instead of candy I went to fruit. I think u see the pattern here. Not only taking away the sugars but also making the portions of food I eat smaller. I learned something while being over seas shooting. They eat what they need to and don’t over eat. Here in the USA its all huge portions and tons of chemicals in the food. When I had pizza in italy there wasn’t much but sauce cheese and thin bread. The sauce was amazing because there was no added flavoring and stuff like that. As soon as I got to back to the states the food seemed gross. It took me a long time to get back to eating it.
This is when I decided to make what I eat 5 days out of the week. 2 of the days I grub what ever but I always tend to still eat good. I have a peace of candy here and there but not much anymore. But the key to this is less portions. Don’t eat to be full. U can always snack later on nuts or fruit. Instead of eating the whole burger eat
of it. No fries, do a salad. Or mashed potatoes. Fried food will kill you. BUT the main thing I gave up was fast food 4 years ago and it took 2 years for me to feel the healthiness of not eating it.
For some reason corn will destroy my stomach and I cant eat it. Corn is hard to digest and I just stay away from it. I can have corn syrup oddly enough but not to much. This proves that corn is in so much crap. I haven’t been eating tortilla chips like Doritos for a long time. I only eat kettle chips. You see taking all this crap out of your diet is the key. I really don’t work out that much except for swimming. I hate lifting weights. Its just not my thing. Once or twice a month I’ll lift then realize I hate it.
Another key thing is don’t eat heavy meals past 7pm. Your body slows down at night and takes longer to digest it. also when you sleep it just sits in your stomach all night. Eat soft and easy to digest food late night. Cereal is the best for that. If you cant eat until then, then eat extra before work or whatever. You have to be able to discipline our self and don’t give in. Also take your vitamins. That helps your body really use the food you eat for the right things.
If I’m starving on the road and all there is is a gas station that’s fine. I get nuts and cereal and yogurt and a banana and mix it up and eat it. you can always find the healthier rout in life anywhere. Im now 201 in weight and feeling great. I lost all the extra weight I don’t need and now feel so healthy. You just have to have the will and there is always a way. You can only let your self down. So do your self a favor and don’t let it down. Think about how a 100 years ago there was just simple food from a garden. Now we put chemicals in it and the FDA is killing us. Please do me a favor and stop eating fast food. Its enough to make you feel 100 times better everyday. Watch fast food nation or that documentary about eating fast food for 30 days. Its not all correct but it will show you what I’m talking about on how fast food will kill you. they say you should only eat fast food 5 times a year. Think about that when your to lazy to cook. I would love to see more healthy people, but we just give in to food on the go. I used to eat all that, but now I put a stop to it in my life.
I’m not the guy who knows everything and I’m still learning but that’s the best way for me right now. Find your best way and make a change in life. It starts with you and you only. Its true you know, when they say you are what you eat. I love cashews so that’s why I’m such a nut. lol
Serge Santos
onafixedincome
caroline moonstone
D'Andra DuCharme
Redzonergirl
Dottie Benedict
Sharie LaTurno
patrick abate
sherry barnett
Diana simons
betty colegrove
Amber Lunsford (Nikkie)
Karl Casey
marah corona
Megan Steinberg
Dawn Marie
Caitlyn Creek
Gilbert King
keith shepherd
Alan Wertsbaugh
Alexzandra Coulter
joyce sutberry
MA Barrett
Shelbylynn
Nicole Jacobs
Heather Cody
Kelly Turner
Samantha Riddle
michael hall
Janelle Henderson
Angie Groller
Sami Jenkins
Rachel Mullens
mjmcclaine
Christina Barber
Sheyla E. Colón
Danny (the girl kind)
Margaret McGuire
Corinna Rose
Victoria Risoldi
Joy Sullman
Rob Miller
nicole archibald-garcia
Patti James
Laura Yaffe
Robin Stewart
Stephanie Martin
Greg Bakun
Ashley Nottingham
Amanda Davis
Jodi Jones Brohard
Jason Yost
Thomasina or Tommie for short
Irene P. Flores
Robin Dailey
amanda hohneThis is a nice list to check out even though I’m trying to focus my productivity towards my blog. However these are a more productive alternative to checking stats, random surfing, etc.
Get the Book
Recent Entries
Site Focus
Recent Comments
Books We Like? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?As many of you know, I have been passionate about preserving my family's memories for a long time.  I proudly wear many &hats&:  scrapbooker (traditional and digital), card maker, mixed media artist, and photographer.  Recently, I added CLOSE TO MY HEART CONSULTANT to my &hat collection&and would love the opportunity to help you preserve your family's memories as well.    Please visit my  to see all the wonderful items I offer.  New to scrapbooking, card-making, or mixed media projects?  Not a problem.  I will always be just a click away to answer any questions you may have.  CTMH products serve many different levels of scrapbookers, stampers, and crafters -- from the beginner to the more advanced crafter.  

Already a fan of Close To My Heart and want to be a part of my team? For only $99 you get a fantastic consultant kit filled with more than $300 in products.  As a bonus, during the month of APRIL, CTMH is giving all new consultants a fantastic GIFT -- your choice of any cricut collection ($99 value).   That's $400 worth of items for only $99.  Even if you decide never to order again, it's an amazing deal!  If you'd like to join me, click here:  
To see all the new projects I've been working on, you'll need to visit
 New projects will be posted soon!
As the year 2014 began I joined writer/artist Ali Edward's class called One Little Word 2014.  This class is a year-long project that has you focus on making one word a focal point in your life for an entire year.  
There were many words that I thought about -- that spoke to me so to speak, but for this year I've chosen the word BELIEVE.  I'll be exploring what it truly means to BELIEVE and I can incorporate that word into my life every day.  How do I BELIEVE emtionally, physically, spiritially,and  in my relationships.  Every week I will try to post a little something about my year-long journey to make BELIEVING a huge part of my life. 
If you'd like to join me and hundreds of others feel free to check out ali's website for more info.  Either way I hope you'll check back often to see how it's going.
REMEMBER: &Life's like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.& -- Jim Henson
As 2014 begins, I think about my two sons who are nearly grown up and will be leaving “the nest” all too soon, and reflect on the “life lessons” I’ve shared with them.  There is always a lot of pressure when you’re a parent.  After all, WE (parents) are responsible for shaping our children into the best people they can be. 
Below are 10 of the things I am proud I taught my sons:
1. Appreciate the world around you.  Whether exploring Jamaica, climbing pyramids in Mexico, taking trams to the peaks of mountains in the California desert, visiting Disney World and Universal Studios, swimming with dolphins and stingrays, sailing under Niagara Falls, snorkeling in the Caribbean, taking in the bright lights of the Las Vegas Strip, strolling the decks of cruise ships, or simply enjoying the beaches in Florida or South Carolina my sons have grown up to appreciate all the wonder that is around them.  I’ve always felt that each of us becomes a better person when we experience new things.  I’ve always wanted my children to be open-minded about the food they try (Connecticut cuisine can be limited), the places they see, and the different people they meet.  I also wanted them to have respect for all the world’s creatures – and having up-close and hands-on experiences with some of them has helped. They have inherited a bit of my wanderlust and hope they will continue to fill their lives with the wonder of it all.
2.  You win some, you lose some.  When my children were very little it seemed that our society was trying to teach  them that everyone was a “winner.”  Every player on every soccer team got a trophy, every kid got picked to be on a team, or got a part in a play, etc.  Basically there were never any losers.  Sadly the real world doesn’t work that way and as they got older they experienced that first hand.  As a parent I tried to explain to them that it was okay not to come out on top every time they tried.  It’s hard to bring your “A Game” all the time.  People make mistakes, do poorly on tests, and sometimes try out for teams and don’t make the cut.  I wanted them to know that it was okay to mess up too.   No one likes to lose but everyone can’t win.   The main thing I’ve tried to teach my sons is that regardless of whether they win or lose, they should always TRY.  Effort was the most important thing.  If you don’t try then you can never win.  I am proud that both of my children are always trying.  While I’m always here for them when disappointments strike, I love savoring those winning moments with them too, and above all else, we always celebrate their effort.
3.  Share a good book.  Some of my favorite memories are the ones with my kids sitting up in their beds and begging for me to read a book “just one more time.”  Where The Wild Things Are seemed to be a family favorite!  We read together every day for many years: all the way from Dr. Seuss to Harry Potter.  It wasn’t just because they loved the story – it was sharing the story - that magic - with someone else that made it an experience.  Even when they told me they were feeling “too old” to have me read to them, I would sometimes overhear my oldest son reading aloud to his younger brother.  This was not because he couldn’t read the book by himself but because they wanted to SHARE the story.  I hope they will continue to share stories with the ones they love. 
4.   Be kind to young children, the elderly, and the disabled.  Some people can be dismissive to little kids or might act disinterested to anyone over the age of 65.  I’ve tried to be a model for my children so they can see the value that interacting with all kinds of people can add to their lives.  Spending time with younger children can allow them to “experience” things all over again.  With older adults they can hear wonderful stories and learn some great life lessons. I am proud that my kids worked as babysitter and camp counselors and volunteered in Nursing Homes.  Ever since my kids were young they’ve been exposed to people with both mental and physical disabilities.   Since Day One they were raised to look past these limitations and just “see” the person. I am so glad that this is exactly what they do.
5.  Nurture your friendships.  Friendships are something I truly treasure in my life.  I am proud to say that I still have wonderful relationships with many of my childhood friends. The friends I have made in both college and adulthood have also helped to shape me into the woman I am today.  It’s easy to be someone’s friend when things are going well but when things get rough … well that’s when you’ll truly know who your friends are.  On some of my darkest days it has been my friends – the family I CHOOSE – who have been there to lift my spirits and assure me that things will get better.  I have been there for many a friend and have been blessed to have many friends be there for me.  I am grateful that my sons have seen this “two-way street” so that they will always remember what true friendships look like.
6.  It isn’t always about you.  Sometimes we take things personally.  We get self-absorbed and sometimes might get a little selfish.  When kids are growing up, teaching them to be empathetic is a valuable life lesson.  It’s important for them to know that sometimes the needs/wants of someone else needs to come first.  Sometimes they won’t get to do things they’d like to do and they need to understand that there can be reasons they not included/chosen that have nothing to do with them. 
7.  It’s okay to question authority.  This does NOT mean it’s okay to be disrespectful.  What it means is that it’s okay to question adults:  teachers, doctors, leaders, etc. and hold them accountable.  It’s okay to ask why.  Remind them that not everything they read on the internet is true.  Just because an adult wrote it and posted it doesn't make it factual.  Sometimes, it’s even okay to question parents.  “Because I said so” might seem like a good enough answer in the moment but, as an adult we wouldn’t accept that as an explanation.  Our children should be able to ask us why we make the decisions we do even if they don’t like them.  We are not dictators but rather people who are there to help shape them into great people.
8.  Think before you speak and always before you “hit” send.   Lots of people can get into trouble with family, friends, and peers for saying things that simply pop into their heads.  Often it’s when someone has upset us and we think we should say things in retaliation.  Words can wound people far more than children realize. I have tried to teach my kids since they were young to “think first.”  Since they were little I’ve explained how words can’t be taken back and how they can really hurt relationships.  After they’ve cooled down from a fight, for example, they will be grateful that the “mean thoughts” that they had wanted to say earlier, they kept to themselves since they didn’t really mean it.  They know that we rarely HATE people, and our friends and family are not typically described with words that you wouldn’t use in school.  Now with social media, it’s even more important to think first.  The days of writing an angry letter and then thinking about whether or not to mail it the next day have been replaced by emails, facebook, and twitter.  It is more important than ever to think before hitting that send button.  These digital letters can follow you long after the “discussion” has ended.
9.  Save up for a rainy day but don’t forget to live your life.  When it comes to saving money, I’ve tried to teach my children the value of putting “something” away because they might need or want it later on.  Whether it’s a bigger toy, fancy clothes, or some high tech gadget, I wanted them to know that it’s important to save money so that they can afford the bigger things too.  That being said, I also think it’s important to enjoy life in the moment.  Perhaps it’s because my mother became ill in her 40s and died in her mid 60s and my dad became ill in his 60s and died in his mid 70s.  They didn’t believe in saving their money for their retirement – they went to a lot of dinners, shows, and vacations whenever they could.  They bought clothes and gadgets when they were “new” and “in style” and never seemed to regret it.   Looking back on their lives, I do think, at least for my dad, his life might have been a little more comfortable for a little longer had he saved up some money for his later years.  Still in his final months he told me that he had no regrets for “spending it all” because he got to enjoy his life and do a lot of things he always wanted to do.  My mother never reached her “golden years” and my father was not healthy when he eventually retired.  I’m sure these facts impact the way I view things now.  I’ve tried to teach my children the value of living a balanced life – save money for your future but make sure you don’t reach a point in your life that is filled with too many regrets of things you wished you had done and now can’t do.
10.  Know how to take care of yourself.  While my sons might not realize the importance of this last thing yet, I am proud of the fact that I’ve taught them how to fend for themselves. My children know how to clean their rooms, make their beds, as well as wash, dry, and fold their own laundry. They know how to use a vacuum.  They can unload, load, and run the dishwasher.  They can cook for themselves using the oven as well as a microwave.  They are comfortable picking up the phone and ordering food for delivery and then paying the delivery person at the door when it arrives.  They even know how to use a debit card and manage their own money.  I’ve taught my “driver” how to pump gas if he’s ever in a situation that requires it.  My sons have been learning these skills for years and, while many of their friends’ parents didn’t “make them” do ANY of these chores, I feel confident that when my kids go off to college they will be okay without me there.
So there you have it.  Just ten of the dozens of Life Lessons I’ve taught my sons.  Between these and the many other Life Lessons they’ve learned from their Dad - many certainly overlap mine -  I hope they’re ready for all that awaits them (and just in case they're not, I'm sure there are plenty more advice we'd be happy to share with them!)
After all the snow and stormy weather we endured here in Connecticut this past year, our school year has finally ended.  Both of sons have left for camp: one a CIT and the other a junior counselor.  Back at a place they call their other home.  I still find it hard to beleive that my oldest is a rising senior now and my youngest a rising junior.  Within the swirl of ACTs, SATs, SAT IIs, prep classes, and college visits I still find it so hard to believe how quickly my little boys have grown up.   A good friend shared this video with me -- her way of telling me that I'm not alone in feeling this way.  If you're a parent (especially of a tween, teen, or young adult) I'm sure you will be able to relate to this! (Warning: kleenex might be needed!)
Hi all!  I know its been a really long time since my last post.  I've been trying to figure out exactly what I want this blog to be about.  Obviously it's about the way I see things, my perspective, etc but beyond that I felt like it was struggling to find it's identity.  From now on, this blog will no longer have my crafty projects (scrapbooking, photography, mixed media, etc).  Instead all those goodies can be found on another blog called .
THE WAY I SEE THINGS will focus on my personal thoughts, rants, recipes, and of course my intrepid travels around the globe!  I Hope you will continue to drop by this blog as well as visit my new one!
Have an awesome week! -- Dawn
(a look ahead: my puppy, Chloe, turns ONE.  I will be traveling to Italy, France, and Spain for 2 weeks, I will be visiting several colleges in the Fall and there will be a return to Bama (FINALLY!) in my future!  Stay tuned . . . )
Are you camera shy? 
Do you raise your hand to block friends and family from taking your
photo?  Do you turn your head away during
group photos? Do you simply refuse to be photographed?  For a lot of you I imagine the answer is
yes.  The question is why.  Sadly too many of us struggle with image
issues.  We simply aren’t happy with the
way we look right now and we tell ourselves that we will get in the picture
“the next time” when we’ve lost some weight, toned up, etc.  I’m here to tell you why you should SMILE the
next time the camera focuses on you. 
As many of you know, I love making scrapbooks.  After the recent passing of my dad, I decided
to begin a scrapbook that focused on all the people I’ve loved and lost.  At first I thought this would be the easiest album
to create – after all I have hundreds of photos.  When I took a close
however, there was one thing that jumped out at me.  While there were loads of photos to sort
through, most of subjects in the photos were of children – my kids, my nieces
and nephews, cousins, even myself and my brother as children.  Unfortunately the photos of my loved ones
taken during their adulthood were much more elusive.  Sure there were the obligatory “portraits” but
not nearly enough candid shots. 
I can remember days when both of my parents asked me not to
take their photo because they didn’t like the way they looked.  My beloved Aunt was the same way.  Being the persistent gal that I am, I would
often badger them just enough to let me take one or two photos.  They weren’t too happy about it and often
asked me not to show them to anyone else. 
Sadly all three of them have passed away.  I am thankful for the few photos that I do
have.  I know that they were afraid that future
generations would see their photos and think “Wow, she was really fat then” or
“Geez, he really let himself go” but the reality is that all WE (the survivors)
see are their beautiful smiles, the twinkle in their eyes, and their love of
life.  For them and too many others I’ve
loved in my life, “the next time” to take that photo never happened.  None of us truly knows if there will ever be
a next time, and certainly “the next time” can’t re-create the same moment in
Believe me when I tell you that no one is examining photos
of you the way you think.  The people who
love you see your spirit, your sense of humor, your compassion – in essence
they see your soul.  When someone wants
to take your photo, it’s not meant to embarrass you but rather to celebrate
you. 
I used to be camera shy myself many years ago.  I loved taking photos and it was also my excuse for not having to be in the photos -- especially when my weight was at its worst (I've yo-yo'd for years!). Then one day I was working on a project that had me looking for photos taken during a &heavier period& in my life.  I was sad to find few photos to choose from and even more surprised that the photos I did find didn't seem so AWFUL anymore.  I was reminded of some really fun times and the fact that I was heavier ... well, I was.  So what? It was at that moment that I started handing the camera over to others so that I could be &captured& on film once again!
Everyone I know loves to look at
photos of others.  Whether in a scrapbook,
an album, a shoebox, or digitally on the internet, we feel more connected to
our friends and loved ones when we can peek into their lives and share their
happiness.  Staying out of the picture simply
denies them this opportunity.
I would hate for any one of you to be left out. Let your
friends and family celebrate your life WITH you and ensure that future
generations won’t ever forget you.  So
the next time you see the camera pointing your way, keep in mind that it’s
really a compliment.  It’s someone’s way
of saying “You’re important to me.”  Don’t
forget to say cheese!
REMEMBER:  TODAY IS A
GIFT.  THAT’S WHY THEY CALL IT THE
(I'm glad I handed my camera over to a friend so that this moment in time could be captured.  I might not have LOVED the way I looked that day, but there is no doubt that I LOVE this photo and how I feel when I look at it!)
&I hope things get back to normal soon.&  That's what a friend said to me recently after my father passed away from cancer.  I appreciated the sentiment which had been echoed by others before her earlier in the week.  Strangly her words stayed with me for hours after. It got me thinking:  what does back to normal mean?   What is normal for that matter?
According to the dictionary, normal is defined as:
The usual, average, or typical state or condition.
Most of us go through life doing the same thing day after day. Going to work, running errands, taking care of our families, etc.    It's our &normal& day-to-day routine, right?  The question is . . . when life throws us a curve ball, can we ever REALLY get back to normal?  Perhaps, but not THAT version of normal. We need to create a new normal for ourselves.
Think about it for a moment.  Whenever there has been a significant change in your life, for better or worse, your life changes.  Whatever was considered &normal& to you before, will never be that way again.  
Perhaps it was when you first fell in love.  Your version of normal before meeting that &love of your life& probably didn't involve you speaking/texting/chatting with that person for hours on end.  Your version of normal was altered. You literally created a new &normal& for yourself while you were in that relationship.   If that same person broke your heart, your version of normal probably changed again.
Starting new schools, moving to a new town, making and losing friends, having children, adding a pet to the family, dealing with health issues and even losing those we love are all factors that force us to create a new normal.  It's not something that we consciously choose to do -- it just happens.
I've had a lot of ups and downs in 2012 -- Quite a few health issues and the additon of a new puppy. Each time I found myself making more permanant changes to my life.  With the passing my of dad I am once again creating a new normal - one without him in it.  And while things won't truly get &back to normal&, I am curious to see what this new normal will be like!
For those of you who are also facing an &alternate route& on your life's path, remind yourself that this probably isn't the first time a signicant event changed what's &normal& for you and it won't be the last.  Things will never be exactly like they were before but it doesn't mean your new normal can't be wonderful.  
I certainly hope so.
It has been a while since my last post. Last month I discovered that I had Lynch Syndrome which places me at an increased risk for about a dozen cancers.
After meeting with my team of doctors, I decided to have the (strongly) recommended prophylactic hysterectomy and oophorectomy in order to eliminate my chances of ever getting uterine, ovarian, and cervical cancers.
Considering my odds, the choice seemed simple but nothing ever truly is.
Like most procedure, mine would have its own baggage.
Obvious ones like initial pain, soreness, and the need to take it easy for 6 weeks were not unexpected.
Not being able to sleep on my tummy for a while would be annoying but i could be patient
My surgery was nearly two weeks ago and I'm slowly getting better each day.
The worst baggage for me was being told that at the age of 44 I would go into menopause.
I was also warned that because my menopause was brought on surgically, it would be immediate.
Due to the Lynch Syndrome, my doctors agreed that I would not be a Good candidate for hormone replacement therapy.
So I've been waiting for it.
Would I know when it started?
Would I have mood swings?
Get hot flashes or cold flashes?
I thought it started last week. I felt a little warm for a few minutes. Perhaps my menopause would be mild.
I had asked friends to describe it. Most just said I'd feel really uncomfortable for brief periods.
I even asked my doctor how I would know when it started. I remember her touching my hand and assuring me that I would &just know.&
Last night I was pretty exhausted and was looking forward to a good night's rest. My incisions are healing nicely so now I can comfortably sleep on my side.
Unfortunately my hormones had other plans. I will admit that last night's experience threw me for a loop. For me, menopause was more than &really uncomfortable.&
This is how I came face-to-face with my Lynch Syndrome baggage:
The doctor told me I would be in menopause
And I nodded my head in acknowledgement
But what did this mean?
would I even know?
&one day& she said, &you just will&
And so I waited ...
I was completely exhausted as I settled into bed
Hoping for a good night's sleep
When suddenly I felt it's presence
It's warm breath at first
Whispered in my ears
Then like a desert storm
It's intense heat coursed through my veins
Sending me to a tropical hell
I languished with my blanket
Kicking it off like a petulant child
in the throws of a mad tantrum
I reached for my coolest pillow
In hopes that this fiery dragon would soon be slayed
An hour ticked by sluggishly
But soon I would rest ...
... Or would I?
A few hours later I was jolted from my slumber
The chill of Arctic air now pulsing inside me
 I tossed the chilly pillow to the floor
And grasped for a heated blanket and comforter 
To envelop me
I laid shivering in the bed
My mind transporting me to a dark winter's night
When an icy nor'easter had knocked out the heat
I once again watched the clock
Waiting for this frosty demon to leave
Two hours ticked by as I felt myself thaw
Now I could rest ...
... Or could I?
As the sun rose I awoke once again
 Feeling as if I had just been baking in my kitchen 
Inside me, the gush of warm oven-like air 
flowed softly from head to toe
Before quietly fading away
And now I knew
This is menopause 
I hope it doesn't last for long but no one really knows for sure.
At least now I know what to expect. And, even though it pretty much SUCKS to have to deal with it many years earlier than is typical, the alternative (not having the surgery and waiting for a probable cancer) still seems worse.
(wondering which one of these cancers I'm previving?  ALL of them.)
LYNCH SYNDROME.  Two words that have changed my world forever. 
Tomorrow is Lynch Syndrome Hereditary Cancer Public Awareness Day.  It is believed that nearly 600,000 Americans have Lynch Syndrome, YET only 5% have been diagnosed. 
Until recently I had never heard of it, so knowing how few people have been diagnosed doesn’t really surprise me.  I knew my family had a strong history of cancer and it seemed like my grandma’s side of the family was a giant cancer magnet.  Now at least I understand why.
So what is Lynch syndrome?  Lynch syndrome, also known as hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) is caused by a genetic mutation.  It is passed down from generation to generation. People with Lynch syndrome have up to an 85% chance of contracting colorectal cancer by age 70 as well as an up to 70% chance of contracting endometrial cancer. Carriers are also at a much higher than average risk of contracting various cancers including ovarian cancer, cancer of the gastrointestinal organs, cancers of the kidney/urinary tract, brain, pancreas, and breast.
A few years ago, my beloved Aunt Nanci passed away from colon cancer.  It was not her first battle with cancer (she had ovarian and breast cancer as well) but sadly it was her last.  At my cousin’s urging, she agreed to participate in a genetic research study (due to her personal cancer history as well as the strong cancer history in her family.  At the time she was losing her battle with colon cancer, other cancer-surviving relatives (including my dad) were asked to participate in the study but they all declined for various personal reasons – most said they just “didn’t want to know.”  Tests completed AFTER she died showed that she did in fact have a genetic mutation called Lynch syndrome. 
Two months ago my father was diagnosed with cancer for the 4th time. Although NONE of his cancers were the same as his sister, his mother also had many cancers, and ALL of their cancers could be linked to the family of Lynch syndrome cancers.  Since he also had aunts, an uncle, and first cousins with Lynch syndrome related cancers, and since his sister’s colon cancer had tested positive for the genetic mutation, his doctor strongly recommended that he get tested as well.   I asked him to do it for me, my brother and our kids and he finally agreed. Last month his results came back positive for the mutation.  
His positive result meant that I now had a 50/50 chance of inheriting this mutation.  I took the test in early March and just received my results – POSITIVE. 
 So, what does that mean for me?  At the moment I am pretty healthy.  I feel fine for 44 and I can’t imagine getting cancer.  Yet, according to the genetics counselor I am a cancer PREVIVOR.
What is a previvor, you ask? It’s someone like me.  Someone who hasn’t yet had cancer but who is so highly predisposed that it’s more likely than not I will get it. It’s someone who is taking steps to minimize the risk of cancer, someone who is taking her health into her own hands. It’s being proactive. It’s not surviving, but previving. 
I’m not going to pretend that I’m not overwhelmed, frustrated, and yes, a little scared.  Heck, how could I not be after seeing those odds!  Still, I will do what I need to do.  I will endure yearly screenings I could never have imagined someone my age volunteering to do.  I will undergo preventive surgery next month to significantly decrease my chances of getting a few of the cancers.  I will change my eating habits and try to get fit.  I will do whatever is necessary so that the odds are in my favor.
I read somewhere that “a bend in the road is not the end of the road UNLESS you fail to make the turn.”  I intend on staying on this road a very long time.
I am so thankful for all my friends and family who have been so incredibly supportive since I got the news.  I’m also thankful for my new “team” of doctors, several who are just now learning about Lynch syndrome themselves, and are working together to give me the best chances for a long life.  And finally I am thankful for my incredible husband Mark and my two sons who remind me every day why this life’s worth fighting for. 
Tomorrow I will be wearing my jeans as a reminder for anyone who might be at risk to screen their genes.   It is my hope that the other 95% of Lynch Syndrome carriers will eventually get tested so that they can also “stack the deck” against cancer!
I hope you will join me and wear your jeans tomorrow too!
xoDawn 
This weekend I had the opportunity to get away from the family and surround myself with dozens of inspiring gals at a scrapbooking retreat in Mystic, Connecticut.  This one was hosted by Scrap-a-way Retreats.  I have attended several different retreats over the years including Croppers Delight and Crop Classix, and have enjoyed them all.  Retreats are usually 3 day CROPS.
Whether or not you're a scrapper, you might wonder whether or not someone could really work on scrapbooking pages for three days straight.  The answer is an easy one -- absolutely.  In fact, I barely sleep at these events.  There is always good food, a little shopping, games to be played, etc but, like most people, I attend crops to get work done.  There are no usual distractions -- no laundry, no errands, no one needing me to do anything for them.  The meals are prepared for me, drinks are always available and everyone is pretty friendly and ready to give a second opinion if I want one.
Scrappers all have different methods to their madness and everyone seems to be working on different projects so you can get lots of ideas.  There are typically two kinds of scrapbook albums -- the first ones are specific to an event (wedding, vacation, etc) and the others are the day-to-day LIFE albums (what most photos are!).  Most scrappers try to do their pages in chronological order but NOT ME.  I like to scrap pages as they inspire me so I divide my albums into themes:  People We Love, Places We Go, Things We Do, Celebrations, Sports, and Just Because.  
No matter how many scrapbooks pages I've done, I am no where close to being &caught up& and I'm really okay with that.  For this retreat I just opened a bunch of shoeboxes where I have thousands (honestly) of photos stashed and grabbed pictures from all different years.  The result was a weekend trip down memory lane.  Each page I did brought back some wonderful memories for me and, I hope, will evoke the same emotions for the people in them.
. . .and now I happily share with you my latest journey: &# - 2010
Betterist in:}

我要回帖

更多关于 so many things 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信