你可能喜欢当前位置: >>>
教你发美音:The Sound and Style of American English-tap
特别声明:本栏目内容均从网络收集或者网友提供,供仅参考试用,我们无法保证内容完整和正确。如果资料损害了您的权益,请与站长联系,我们将及时删除并致以歉意。
(单词翻译:双击或拖选)
  Course #1
LESSON 1: THE MUSIC OF AMERICAN SPEECH
Dr.David Alan
IN THIS LESSON THE TAPE TEACHES YOU THE
(PITCH CHANGE) PATHERN WHICH IS CHARACTERISTIC OF WELL SPOKEN, STANDARD AMERICAN ENGLISH
When it is spoken well, American speech has what I call a JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern of pitch change. that means that, inside each phrase or unit of thought, the pitch jumps up to a higher note on an early, important word. Then, it steps down a little bit on each
that follows within that unit. Most speakers of English as a second language do not use this JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern. People from some languages use little or no pitch change. In other languages, speakers use
in pitch to
ideas. With its JUMP UP / STEP DOWN pattern, American English does neither of these things.
Listen to the instructions and examples on the tape. They show you exactly how to do the simplest form of the JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern. After the first few , the tape asks you to listen to the samples and apply the pattern yourself to sentence Group I. The first time through, try using the pattern only once in each sentence by jumping in pitch on the words that I've underlined.
INTRODUCTION
1. GOOD MORNING.
2. GOOD MORNING.
3. I'M VERY HAPPY TO SEE YOU TODAY.
4. CALL HIM ON THE OFFICE TELEPHONE.
5. GOOD MORNING I'M VERY HAPPY TO MEET YOU.
6. I'M VERY HAPPY TO SEE YOU.
7. I'M VERY HAPPY TO SEE YOU TODAY.
SENTENCE GROUP I
1. I'M VERY PLEASED TO MEET YOU.
2. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR CALLING.
3. I'D LIKE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR NEXT THURSDAY.
4. I'M GOING OUT OF TOWN AT THE END OF NEXT WEEK.
5. I WON'T BE BACK IN THE OFFICE TILL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.
6. THERE'S TOO MUCH NOISE ON THE STREET WHERE WE LIVE.
7. I DON'T WANT TO GO THERE ANYMORE.
8. MY CAR BROKE DOWN ON THE FREEWAY THIS AFTERNOON.
9. MY OFFICE IS ON THE THIRD FLOOR, RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE ELEVATOR.
10. I'LL NEVER BE HOME ON TIME IF I KEEP GETTING TELEPHONE CALLS.
Of course, there aren't any totally right or totally wrong places for beginning these JUMP UP and STEP DOWN units. In many phrases and sentences, you have a choice of more than one place where you can begin the pattern by jumping up in pitch. , there are many atatements in which you can use a JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern two, or three, or perhaps even four times. Of course. the longer the sentence, the more often you'd be able to begin a new pattern by jumping up and stressing a new idea. The tape will give you several examples of this principle using the last sentence from Group I.
10A. I'LL NEVER GET HOME ON TIME IF I KEEP GETTING TELEPHONE CALLS.
Next, the tape shows you how you can use more than one JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern in the first five sentences from the group. Try those sentences again, this time jumping up in pitch twice during each sentence.
1. I'M VERY PLEASED TO MEET YOU.
2. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR CALLING.
3. I'D LIKE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR NEXT THURSDAY.
4. I'M GOING OUT OF TOWN AT THE END OF NEXT WEEK.
5. I WON'T BE BACK IN THE OFFICE TILL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.
The tape now asks you to try an experiment. Read Sentence Group II very , but with your current accent. While you're speaking, pay attention to exactly what you are doing to stress important ideas. Now, translate the sentences in speak them enthusiastically, and see what you do to stress ideas. I hope that these exercises show most of you that you already know when to stress important words. But, in your old language or accent, you usedifferent tools of pitch or loudness to create the same effect. The tape then asks you to go back to the English sentences and try stressing the same important ideas you just discovered. This time, however, try using the new JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern instead of the tools from your old language. Listen carefullyto those instructions on the tape, and then try that experiment with the sentences in Group Two. For the first time, you will be trying to apply the JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern by yourself, without imitating a model on the tape.
SENTENCE GROUP II
1. I'D LIKE TO WELCOME ALL OF YOU TO THIS MEETING.
2. I'LL BEGIN BY INTRODUCING MYSELF TO YOU.
3. MY NAME IS _____________________ , AND I'VE BEEN PRESIDENT OF THIS COMPANY FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS.
4. I'VE SEEN A LOT OF CHANGES IN THAT TIME.
5. YES, WE'VE CERTAINLY MADE A GREAT DEAL OF PROGRESS.
6. BUT THERE IS STILL A LOT MORE TO DO IF WE'RE GOING TO CONTINUE TO GROW.
7. STARTING NEXT WEEK, WE WILL BEGIN A BRAND NEW PROJECT.
8. ALTHOUGH OUR GOALS ARE NEW, WE STILL NEED THE SAME
AND THE SAME HARD WORK YOU HAVE ALREADY SHOWN US.
9. I HOPE THAT THE NEXT TEN YEARS OF PROGRESS WILL MAKE THE LAST TEN SEEM SMALL BY .
At the end of Lesson #1, the tape tells you to try using the JUMP UP and STEP DOWN pattern in the little speech which results when you put SENTENCE GROUP II together into a single paragraph. The under lined words are just suggestions for pitch jumps.
SENTENCE GROUP II (as a complete speech)
&I'd like to welcome all of you to this meeting. I'll begin by introducing myself to you. My name is David Alan Stern, and I've been president of this company for the last ten years. I've seen a lot of changes in that time. Yes, we've certainly made a great deal of progress. But there is still a lot more to do if we're going to continue to grow, Starting next week, we will begin a brand new project. Although our goals are new, we still need the same dedication and the same hard work you have already shown us. I hope that the next ten years of progress make the last ten seem small by comparison.&
STEP DOWN pattern in the little speech which results when you put SENTENCE GROUP II together into a single paragraph. The under lined words are just suggestions for pitch jumps.
SENTENCE GROUP II (as a complete speech)
&I'd like to welcome all of you to this meeting. I'll begin by introducing myself to you. My name is David Alan Stern, and I've been president of this company for the last ten years. I've seen a lot of changes in that time. Yes, we've certainly made a great deal of progress. But there is still a lot more to do if we're going to continue to grow, Starting next week, we will begin a brand new project. Although our goals are new, we still need the same dedication and the same hard work you have already shown us. I hope that the next ten years of progress make the last ten seem small by comparison.&
点击收听单词发音&&
adj.严厉的,严格的,严峻的;n.船尾
参考例句:
The ship was in a blaze from stem to stern.整艘船从头到尾都着火了。
The headmaster ruled the school with a stern discipline.校长治校严谨。
n.语调,声调;发声
参考例句:
The teacher checks for pronunciation and intonation.老师在检查发音和语调。
Questions are spoken with a rising intonation.疑问句是以升调说出来的。
n.音节;vt.分音节
参考例句:
You put too much emphasis on the last syllable.你把最后一个音节读得太重。
The stress on the last syllable is light.最后一个音节是轻音节。
adj.向上的,上升的;adv.向上,上升
参考例句:
The birds flew upward.鸟儿向上飞去。
Prices have an upward tendency.价格有上升的趋势。
n.滑行( glide的名词复数 );滑音;音渡;过渡音v.滑动( glide的第三人称单数 );掠过;(鸟或飞机 ) 滑翔
参考例句:
The new dance consists of a series of glides. 这种新舞蹈中有一连串的滑步。 来自《简明英汉词典》
The stately swan glides gracefully on the pond. 天鹅在池面上优美地游动。 来自《简明英汉词典》
vt.加强…的语气,强调,着重
参考例句:
I must emphasize the fact that she is only a little girl. 我必须强调这样一个事实,这就是她只不过是个小女孩。
I must emphasize the fact that they are only children. 我必须强调这一事实,即他们只不过是孩子。
证明( demonstration的名词复数 ); 表明; 表达; 游行示威
参考例句:
Lectures will be interspersed with practical demonstrations. 讲课中将不时插入实际示范。
The new military government has banned strikes and demonstrations. 新的军人政府禁止罢工和示威活动。
adv.类似地,相似地
参考例句:
He was late and I similarly was delayed.他迟到了,我也晚了。
These two pages are similarly glued together.这两页好像粘在一起了。
ad.表示(某事物)地;表达地
参考例句:
She gave the order to the waiter, using her hands very expressively. 她意味深长地用双手把订单递给了服务员。
Corleone gestured expressively, submissively, with his hands. "That is all I want." 说到这里,考利昂老头子激动而谦恭地表示:“这就是我的全部要求。” 来自教父部分
n.奉献,献身,致力,题献,献辞
参考例句:
We admire her courage,compassion and dedication.我们钦佩她的勇气、爱心和奉献精神。
Her dedication to her work was admirable.她对工作的奉献精神可钦可佩。
n.比较,对照;比拟,比喻
参考例句:
They make a comparison of New York to a beehive.他们把纽约比作一个蜂巢。
This dress is really cheaper by comparison.比较起来,这件衣服确实便宜。
本文本内容来源于互联网抓取和网友提交,仅供参考,部分栏目没有内容,如果您有更合适的内容,欢迎分享给大家。
上一篇:没有了
------分隔线----------------------------08年英译汉指导:大学英语四级考试翻译练习七
练习七  Directions: Read the underlined sentences carefully, and then translate them into Chinese. You may check your answers after you finish them.  Passage One  As the horizons(范围) of science have expanded, two main groups of scientists have emerged. One i the other, the applied scientist.  The pure or theoretical scientist does original research in order to understand the basic laws   Of nature that govern our world. The applied scientist adapts this knowledge to practical problems. Neither is more important than the other, however, for the two groups are very much related.  Sometimes, however, the applied scientist finds the “problems” for the theoretical scientist to work on. Let’s take a particular problem of the aircraft industry: heat-resistant metals. Many of the metals and alloys which perform satisfactorily in a car cannot be used in a jet-propelled plane. New alloys must be used, because the jet engine operates at a much higher temperature than automobile engine. The turbine wheel in a turbojet must withstand temperatures as high as 1 600 degrees Fahrenheit, so aircraft designers had to the research metallurgist for the development of metals and alloys that would do the job in jet-propelled planes.  Dividing scientists into two groups pure and applied is only one broad way of classifying them, however. When scientific knowledge was very limited, there was no need for men to specialize. Today, with the great body of scientific knowledge, scientists specialize in many different fields. Within each field, there are even further subdivisions. The various sciences have become more and more interrelated until no one branch is entirely independent of the others. Many new specialties geophysics and biochemistry, for example have resulted from combining the knowledge of two or more sciences.  Passage Two  Thoughts from yesterday guide us toward tomorrow.  More than 2000 years ago, Caecilius Statius, a Roman slave who became famous as a playwright, observed, “we plant trees to benefit another generation.” His remark is as apt as it was when he made it and shows how thinkers of the past can still teach us something about the future.  George Bernard Show, for instance, made an even more perceptive remark. “We are made wise, not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.” This responsibility begins when we recognize that we ourselves create our future that the future is not something imposed upon us by fate or other forces beyond our control. We ourselves build the future both through what we do and what we do not do. Once we recognize our power over the future, we inevitably begin to anticipate the consequences of what we do and to do those things that wil in short, we begin to act wisely.  And our own responsibility for the future bears the promise of a better future world, because, as C. P. Snow, the novelist and philosopher, once remarked: “The sense of the future is behind all good policies. Unless we have it, we can give nothing either wise or decent to the world.” And our obligations must be more to the future than the past. Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors.  Passage Three  Criticism of research lays a significant foundation for future investigative work, but when students begin their own projects, they are likely to find that the standards of validity in field work are considerably more rigorous (严格的, 严厉的) than the standards for most library research.  When students are faces with the concrete problem of proof by field demonstration, they usually discover that many of the important relationships they may have criticized other researcher for failing to demonstrate are very elusive (难以理解的) indeed. They will find, if they submit an outline or questionnaire to their classmates for criticism, that other students make comments similar to some they themselves may have made in discussing previously published research. For example student researchers are likely to begin with a general question but find themselves forced to narrow its focus. They may learn that questions whose meanings seem perfectly biased (有偏见的) to someone else. They usually find that the formulation of good research questions is a much more subtle and frustrating task than is generally believed by those who have not actually attempted it.  Passage Four  Dry regions in the south western United States have become increasingly inviting playgrounds for the growing number of recreation seekers who own vehicles such as motorcycles or powered trail bikes and indulge (being crazy) in hill-climbing contests or in carving new trails in the desert. But recent scientific studies show that these off-road vehicles can cause damage to desert landscapes that has long-range effects on the area’s water-conserving characteristics and on the entire ecology (the scientific study of the pattern of relations of plants, animals, and people to each other and to their surroundings), both plant and animal. Research by scientists in the western Mojave Desert in California revealed that the compaction (压实) of the sandy dry soil resulting from the passage of just one motorcycle markedly reduced the infiltration (渗透) ability of the soil and created a stream of rain runoff water that eroded the hillside surface. In addition, the researchers discovered that the soil compaction caused by the off-road vehicles often killed native plant species and resulted in the invasion of different plant species within a few years. The native perennial (of a plant that lives for more than two years) species required many more years before they showed signs of returning. The scientists calculated that roughly a century would be required for the infiltration capacity of the Mojave soil to be restored after being compacted by vehicles.
本文标题: 本文地址:
一周人气榜
大学英语四级课堂}

我要回帖

更多关于 speak and translate 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信