evaluate people by theirwebkit appearancee.by可换成of么?

当前位置: &
以貌取人,失之子羽的英文
英文翻译A fair face may be a foul bargain.&&&&judge people by outward appe ...&&&&son&&&& plume a note of the ...&&&&a fair face may be a foul bargain&&&&all cats are grey in the dark&&&&judge people b evaluate a person on the basis of appearan ...&&&&beauty is but skin- beggars can' never judge from appearanc ...&&&&don′t count your chickens bef don′t judge a person by the ...&&&&never judge from appearance&&&&we should not judge people only by appearances&&&&never judge people by their appearance&&&&here he fell into the common error of judging by appearances&&&&beneficiary&&&&procne&&&&ziyun li&&&&while they have not got their aims their anxiety is how to get them&&&&a receiver&&&&beneficiary&&&&men are not to be never judge a person by his appearance&&&&fail to meet someon miss a friend at ...&&&&a good name is sooner lost than won&&&&time and tide wait for no man&&&&heavy loss&&&&the last drop makes the cup run over.〖hotline&&&&err on the side of lenity [mercy]; be generous to a fault
相邻词汇热门词汇
以貌取人,失之子羽的英文翻译,以貌取人,失之子羽英文怎么说,怎么用英语翻译以貌取人,失之子羽,以貌取人,失之子羽的英文意思,,,发音,例句,用法和解释由查查在线词典提供,版权所有违者必究。
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Copyright &
(京ICP备号)
All rights reserved您所在位置: &
&nbsp&&nbsp&nbsp&&nbsp
2015年雅思写作大作文真题解析概要1.doc 32页
本文档一共被下载:
次 ,您可全文免费在线阅读后下载本文档。
下载提示
1.本站不保证该用户上传的文档完整性,不预览、不比对内容而直接下载产生的反悔问题本站不予受理。
2.该文档所得收入(下载+内容+预览三)归上传者、原创者。
3.登录后可充值,立即自动返金币,充值渠道很便利
需要金币:280 &&
2015年雅思写作大作文真题解析概要1
你可能关注的文档:
··········
··········
日雅思写作 (一)
题目类别 society 提问方式 Discussion
Some people prefer to provide help and support directly to those in their local community who need it. Others, however prefer to give money to national and international charitable organizations. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
有人认为给需要救助的人自己的帮助更加可取,有人认为给有需求的国家或国际援助组织提供经济援助更加重要,讨论两种观点,给出你的意见。
Although people in industrialized countries lead a high standard of living, it is undeniable that there are still 1.2 billion people living below the poverty line. In order to solve poverty-related problems, I feel that all kinds of help should be encouraged and respected.
Giving a helping hand to those who are in need in the local community seems reasonable. It is because even in the richest countries, there are still a lot of people, such as disabled people and orphanages, suffering from famine and extreme poverty. For this reason, it is easy and convenient for us to help our fellow citizens, such as donating food or clothing to them, so that we can see the result of our actions immediately. By contrast, it is rather difficult to track expenditure of international aids, which might result in corruption in some cases.
Those who donate money to domestic and international charities believe that the collection of money has a tremendous effect on the poor countries compared with other forms of help. This is because few people are able to donate a large amount of money to construct schools, hospitals and roads in poor areas. Instead, governments and charities can achieve this. International aids can also purchase vaccines which are available in developed countries by using the money raised worldwide and save millions children’s life.
In my view, minor proportion of donated money and other sorts of help should be appreciated equally as long as the money reaches to those who need it desperately. The government could run campaign and encourage door-to door help. At the same time, charitable organizations should make
正在加载中,请稍后...【图文】Never Judge People By Their Appearance_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
Never Judge People By Their Appearance
大小:7.15MB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢商务英语精读2答案-共享资料网
商务英语精读2答案
新编商务英语精读 2 练习答案 Unit 1 Reading IPre-reading: 1. Brainstorming: (Key for reference) 1) Words or expressions related with sports: Athletic sports race赛跑, relay race 接力赛跑, walking race 竞走, middle-distance race 中长跑, sprint 短跑 (AmE: dash), the 400 metre hurdles 400米栏, marathon 马拉松, decathlon 十项, cross-country race 越野跑, high jump 跳高, long jump 跳远(AmE: broad jump), triple jump / hop step and jump 三级跳, pole vault 撑竿跳, putting the shot / shot put 推铅球, throwing the discus 掷铁饼, throwing the hammer 掷链锤, throwing the javelin 掷标枪… Individual gymnastics 体操, horizontal bar 单杠, parallel bars 双杠,rings sports 吊环, side horse 鞍马, weight-lifting 举重, boxing 拳击, Greece-Roman wrestling 古典式摔跤, judo 柔道, fencing 击 剑… Water / Ice swimming 游泳, medley relay 混合泳, crawl 爬泳, breaststroke sports 蛙式, backstroke 仰式, freestyle 自由式, butterfly 蝶泳, diving 跳水, water polo 水球, rowing 划船, canoe 划艇, boat race 赛 艇, yacht 游艇, sailing 帆船运动, surfing 冲浪运动, skiing 滑 雪, downhill race 速降滑雪赛/滑降, slalom 障碍滑雪, ski jump 跳高滑雪, ice skating 滑冰, figure skating 花样滑冰… Ball sports football 足球, soccer英式足球, rugby 橄榄球, basketball 篮 球, volleyball 排球, tennis 网球, baseball 棒球, handball 手 球, hockey 曲棍球, golf 高尔夫球, cricket 板球, table tennis 乒 乓球… Other terms stadium 运动场, track 跑道, ring 圈, ground / field 场地, pitch (足球、橄榄球)场地, court 网球场, gymnastic apparatus 体操器械, swimming pool 游泳池, athletic sports田径运动, competitive sport 竞技性运动, contact sport身体接触项目(足球, 摔跤等), individual sport 个人与个人比赛的项目/ 单项体育, indoor sport室内运动, outdoor sport 户外运动, interuniversity sports 大学校际运动会, national sport 民族体育; 本国最流行的 运动项目, non-ball sport, 非球类运动, participating sport 群众广 泛参加的运动项目, team sport 成队比赛的运动项目(篮球, 排球, 足球等), manager 经纪人, instructor/coach 教练,技术指导, guide 领队, trainer 助理教练, referee / umpire 裁判, sportsman / sportswoman / contestant / competitor / player / athlete 运动员, professional 职业运动员, amateur 业余运动员, enthusiast / fan 迷,爱好者, favorite 可望取胜者, outsider 无取胜希望者, champion 冠军, record 纪录, record holder 纪录创造者, Olympic Games 奥林匹克运动会, Winter Olympics 冬季奥林匹 克运动会… 2) Famous brands of sportswear: Nike Reebok Adidas FILA Jansport Umbro Li Ning Torch WolfPuma Mizuno Baleno Polo U2 Athlete?s FeetExercises 2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences. 1. d 2. b 3. a 4. d 5. c 1. Give the English word for the meaning provided. 1.strategy 2.endorse 3.contract 4.reinforce 5.implement 6. giant 7.contribute 8.impose 9.logo 10.track 1.revenue 12.capitalise 2. Put the following expressions from the text in the blanks to complete the sentences. Make changes where necessary. 1. contracted out 2. to be named after 3. at the heart of 4. capitalized on 5. fair share of 6. close to 7. cashed in 8. in turn 9. reinforces 10. Endorsed 11. be retained 12. dreams of 2. Rewrite the following sentences and replace the italicized words with appropriate words or phrases from the text. 1. She capitalized on Tom?s mistake in judgment and won the game. 2. The conqueror imposed the acceptance of the conditions of peace on the defeated enemy. 3. Our shop contracted with a local clothing firm for 100 jackets a week. 4. His proposal has long been accepted ,yet so far it has not been put into practice. 5. The committee?s report fully endorses the government?s proposals. 6. Although he was quite well off, Allan didn?t contribute money to a social welfare projects. 7. The child was named after its father.Word study 1. a. The county council has not yet given its consent to the imposition of any traffic regulations. b. The government is said to have imposed a heavy tax on the import of luxuries. c. Teachers should try to avoid imposing their own beliefs on their students. 2. a. Local people were praised for their calm response to the crisis. b. Being able to praise yourself will give you power and control over your own life. c. The police deserve a lot of praise for the way they handled the situation. 3. a. The dull boom of the cannons could be heard in the distance during the war. b. Service industry has been booming in that industrial country since the late 1970s. c. The impact of the property boom was first felt in the financial markets. 4. a. Many young people have been contributing their time and energy to various kinds of social welfare projects. b. The government?s new policy contributed greatly to the commercial growth to the country. c. Henry wrote on some journals, appealing for contributions to cancer research. 5. a. He tried to implement his plan in a hurry and people were reluctant to accept it. b. At the end of the day most departments have to be left alone to implement policies. c. The two sides agreed upon an immediate implementation of the peace plan as soon as it was signed. Post reading: 1) Time Development 1964 importing Japanese shoes and selling at school track meets 1972 beginning to design its own shoes and contracting production out to factories in Asia 1973 Nike?s first star athlete, Steve Prefontaine endorsing its footwear 1985 Michael Jordan endorsing his first line of “Air Jordan” shoes 1986 selling close to $US 1 billion worth of sports shoes and creating its first sports clothes under the Nike label 1996 spending $US 642 million on adver with revenues of $US 6.4 billion and profits of $US 553 million 2) The following are marketing strategies often adopted by some companies: a) to advertise the fine quality of a product and the benefit of using the product b) to increase advertising expenditures to match competition c) to reduce price or provide price protection d) to package in different sizes to meet different needs e) to provide special services, superior delivery, broader distribution f) to use unique distribution channels g) to offer better discounts to distributor h) to develop brand extensionsReading IIDictation A true sportsman is fair and generous. He is a good loser and a graceful winner. If a sportsman breaks a rule in sports, if he is courageous and generous, he is respected by all. The winner is not expected to be proud, and the loser should have no reason to feel discouraged. Fair play is considered the spirit of sport. So everyone must obey the rules and the referee. Comprehension 1. T 2. T 3. F 4. T 5. F 6. T 7. T 8. NM 9. F 10. F Vocabulary 1. c 2.a 3. d 4. a 5. b 6. b 7. c 8. d 9. c 10. b Special use I. The following sentences contain different expressions of a future event. Read them and explain the meaning of the italicized words in each sentence. 1. To talk about the future, we can use will in all persons. Shall is also possible in the first person (usually with the same meaning as will). 2. Talking about intending to do something in the future, we often use will with I and we, but not shall. 3. The present simple is used to talk about future events which are already ?on a program?. This is particularly common when we refer to timetables. 4. The present continuous indicates a future event, but it can also be about an existing present situation: an invitation has been given and accepted. 5. Be going to + infinitive here indicates that something is going to happen because we can see it coming or we have present evidence. 6. Be + infinitive is often used to talk about arrangements which have been planned for the future. 7. Be going to + infinitive is used here to express arrangement for a future event. 8. The future progressive can be used to indicate that an action will be in progress at a particular moment in the future. 9. Be about + infinitive is often used to talk about action already planned or arranged. 10. Be on the point of + -ing V is often used to talk about something that is going to happen very soon. II. Rewrite the following sentences with the suggested forms in the brackets. Make changes where necessary. 1. We shall / will go back to see our childhood friends in the winter vacation. 2. I will take care of the matter. 3. The young man is going to take his girlfriend out on Sunday. 4. I bet William will be working on Saturday. 5. The New Year party is about to begin. 6. The small ball is on the point of falling down from the desk. 7. I?m to go and see my dentist this afternoon. 8. Look at those dark clouds in the sky. It is going to rain. 9. I?m seeing the doctor the day after tomorrow. 10. Next Monday the Queen returns to London after her tour of the Commonwealth. III. Read the following story and use the verbs given in brackets to fill in the blanks. Make sure the verbs are in their appropriate (future) forms. 1. is (Bob) coming/will (Bob) come 2. ?ll (just) look/?m (just) looking 3. is arriving/will arrive 4. leaves 5. arrives 6. ?ll go and meet 7. won?t know 8. ?ll come 9. ?re going 10.?ll take 11. am going to drive/will be driving/will drive 12. ?re going to play/will be playing/will play 13. ?ll be 14.?ll be 15. gets 16.?ll be 17. ?ll be 18. will wait/will be waiting 19. ?m (just) about to turn/?m (just) turning 20. ?ll be Translation 1. The network sales executive began to put his plans into practice after research and investigation. 2. Because their mother didn?t have her pension, the two sisters each contributed $500 a month to support her. 3. Uncle Jim thought that a rise in the market would enable him to cash in. 4. For years Robinson struggled hard, working in turn as an accountant, an agent, and a project manager. 5. Yesterday, a $500,000 worth of painting was stolen from the museum. 6. The businessmen who came to take part in the East China Fair rolled in from all parts of the country. 7. They naturally associated the matter with the promotional plan. 8. The book focuses on concrete analysis of the feasibility of the program. 9. After introducing advanced technology, we can put out 20 machines every month now. 10. Scholarship students accounts for nearly three fifths of the whole enrollment in our college. Cloze 1. business 4. pitch 7. richest 10.image 13.prize money2. stars 5. advertising 8. ring 11.game 14.appearing3. court 6. products 9. Sponsors 12.popular 15.publicityExtended activitiesA. Word formation I. New York New Yorker sail compute computer foreign direct director serve assist assistant correspond shop shopper survive invest investor defend immigrate immigrant reside lead leader southern 1. shoppers 2. immigrants 3. residents 4. computer 5. survivors 6. leader 7. assistant sailors 9. southerners 10.correspondent II. 1. engineer 2. mountaineer 3. volunteer 4. profiteer 5. trainee 6. appointee 7. interviewee Absenteesailor foreigner servant correspondent survivor defendant resident southerner8.8.B. Function and plete the following dialogues: 1) Mr. King: If you don?t mind my saying so, your daughter is a very charming young lady. Mrs. Smith: It?s very kind of you to say so. 2) Susan is in a new blue sweater. Mary: What a beautiful sweater! Susan: Do you think it looks good on me? Mary: Yes, you look terrific in blue. Susan: I?m so pleased to hear that. Mary: Look, it matches your pants extremely well. Susan: Oh, you flatter me. Mary: No, I do like it very much. It must be very expensive. Susan: You won?t believe it, but it was really cheap. Mary: I wish I could find one just like it. 3) Maggie bought a new pair of shoes. Maggie: What do you think of my new shoes? Cathy: They?re nice. Maggie: I?m glad you like them. Cathy: I like the color too. They match your dress very well. Maggie: Thank you for saying that. I bought them at half price. Cathy: That?s incredible! It is very lucky of you to find them. 4) In an office Mr. Edward: You are a helpful assistant to me. I compliment you for your excellent work. Miss Simon: It?s very kind of you to mention it. Mr. Edward: If I may say so, you are the most efficient secretary I?ve ever met. Miss Simon: How kind of you to say so. Mr. Edward: You deserve it, really. 5) Mr. Hunter: I?d like to express my admiration for your efficiency, Miss Smith. I?m wondering how you can manage to do all these in one day. Miss Smith: I?m glad you think so. But I should say without my colleagues? cooperation, I wouldn?t have completed the job so soon.C. Practical reading 1. PUMA “VORTEX”. 2. UMBRO “TACTIC” FOOTBALL. 3. MITRE “INFINITY PRO” FOOTBAL. It?s made of synthetic. 4. ? 6. 5. ADIDAS “QUESTRA” ORBIT EUROPA FOOTBALL. 6. Gilbert Rugby Ball. 7. ADIDAS BASKETBALL. It?s made of rubber. 8. It has ad the base is fitted with two wheels
it can be delivered home free of charge. 9. Cat. No. 300/1154. 10. It doesn?t contain a backboard. D. Additional vocabulary Match the following words about sports with the Chinese equivalents. 1. soccer j. 足球 2. judo m. 柔道 3. wrestling c. 摔跤 4. water polo v. 水球 5. badminton h. 羽毛球 6. figure skating a 花样滑冰 7. golf r. 高尔夫球 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25.baseball rugby cricket hockey boat race softball mountaineering motor racing boxing marathon race skating skiing bowling gymnastics chess weight-lifting martial arts shootinge p. k. s. u b i f x l y d o. g. t q. n. w棒球 英式橄榄球 板球 (冰上)曲棍球 赛船 垒球 登山运动 摩托车竞赛 拳击 马拉松赛跑 滑冰 滑雪 保龄球 体操 国际象棋 举重 武术 射击Unit 2Reading IPre-reading: 1. Brainstorming: write down businesses which belong to different types of ownership (In many countries all of the types of business can be privately owned. Students may have different opinions about the current situation in China. In any case, the economic policy in China has changed a lot in recent years.) Public ownership Mixed (private or public) ownership Railroad Restaurant Telecommunication service / post Retail business office Television / radio station Hotel Electric power industry Travel agency Journalism / publisher Department store Air transport industry Food manufacturer Banking Supermarket Oil company Advertising agency Stock market Repair service 2. Pairwork: 2) Ownership existing in China: state-owned, private ownership, public ownership, individual ownership, collective ownership, joint venture, foreign enterprise… 5) Before the introduction of the policies of reform and opening to the outside world, China had a unitary public ownership economy, which lacked vitality. But since the reform and opening to the outside world, the Chinese government has encouraged the development of diversified economic elements while insisting on the primacy of public ownership. As a result, both the individual and private economies have developed rapidly. By the end of 1998, the registered industrial and commercial enterprises of individual and private ownership amounted to 32.4 million, and they had 78.24 Chinese-foreign joint ventures, Chinese-foreign cooperative enterprises and foreign ventures numbered 325,000, absorbing 265.6 billion yuan of foreign direct investments. The development and expansion of these enterprises have played important roles in many aspects, such as bringing convenience to people?s everyday lives, making up for the deficiency of construction funds, and introducing advanced technologies and management from abroad. At the same time the control of the public-ownership economy has been further strengthened. In 1999, the increased value of state-owned enterprises and industrial enterprises above a certain scale made up 24.7 percent of the notion?s total gross domestic. Now the mutual development pattern for diversified ownership with the public ownership economy as the mainstay has been basically formed. Exercise: 2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences. 1. b 2. a 3. d 4. b 5. b 6. b 3. Give the English word for the meaning provided. 1.proprietorship 2.capital 3.legal 4.liability 5.dividend 6.withdrawal 7.dissolve 8.corporation 9.assets 10.dominate 11.utility4. Put the following expressions from the text in the blanks to complete the sentences. Make changes where necessary. 1. no more than 2. to go into debt 3. started, with 4. will have to close down 5. be defined, as 6. consisted of 7. accounts for 8. are liable for 9. be offset 10. Running out of 11. in the extent of 12. formalities 5. Rewrite the following sentences and replace the italicized words with appropriate words or phrases from the text. 1.The annual output of the steel plant accounts for 40% of the total annual steel output of the country. 2.He is not that old. I guess he is no more than 45. 3. Because of inefficiency of the management, the factory has closed down. 4.He had the advantage over other young people of being born into a wealthy and powerful family. 5. In that wicked place, honest people were considered as fools. 6. Any adult is liable for whatever he says or does. 6. Word study Key 1. a. There's a big difference between knowing that something is true, and being able to prove it. b. The heat in Arizona is different from the heat here, since it's very dry. c. The two sides in the dispute still differ with each other over the question of pay. 2. a. In Oxford Dictionary, the sportsman is defined as a good fellow who is fair to opponents. b.. People say that students are by definition idealistic and impatient. c. Each of us might define the concept of freedom in a slightly different way. 3. a. This nation, with its developed industry, seemed likely to dominate the whole of Western Europe. b. After some discussion, peace and development were adopted as the dominant themes of the conference. c. As our dominance of the market is seriously threatened by this new product, efforts should be made to retain it. 4. a. The consequences of the recession in that country have extended beyond its borders. b. He is so fully occupied that his working day often extends well into the evening. c. With some acceptable reasons, the student has got an extension to finish writing his thesis. 5. a. Each of the classes will elect two students to represent for the conference. b. We discussed these issues with a senior representative of the company. c. In about 5years, the firm has established adequate representation in Europe. Post Reading Task 1 Students can be guided to compare the three types of ownership in terms of: business scale, product range, business volume, employee motivation, corporate reliability, financial standing, financial support, business owner?s responsibility, corporate management, operation efficiency, operation cost, cash flow… Task 2Reading IIDictationThe corporate form of ownership has several advantages. The first is its ability to attract financial resources. A second advantage is that if the corporation attracts a large amount of capital, it can make large investments in plants, equipment and research. A third advantage is that a corporation can offer high salaries and thus attract talented managers.Comprehension1. T 2. F 3. F 4. NM 5. F 6. F 7. T 8. F 9. T 10. FVocabulary1. b 2. a 3. d 4. b 5. c 6. d 7. a 8. b 9. c 10. c Special use 1. 1) a 2) b 3) b 4) b 5) a 6) c 7) b 8) c 9) d 10) d 2. 1) will be cleaned, will have been cleaned 2) has made, has been made 3) being signed, signing/to be signed 4) has been resulted, has resulted 5) be increased, increase 6) were not agreed, didn?t agree 7) was put, was put forward 8) being repaired, is being repaired 9) encouraged, was encouraged 10)would be set, (should) be setTranslation1. They will have to close down soon because business has been bad recently. 2. We are running out of typing paper, so let the secretary buy some as soon as possible. 3. The committee for cultural development consists of 10 famous experts from 8 universities of the country. 4. The Post Office is not liable for damage to a parcel by mail if it is not insured. 5. The supermarket goes into debt due to bad management. 6. The small company, which had no more than 10 people 5 years ago, now has developed into a big business with 3 subsidiary companies. 7. Prices of oil range from $28 to $30 a barrel in the international market. 8. Selling is defined as assisting customers and helping them make a wise buying decision. 9. This business serves customers in the form of high-quality products. 10. Most consumers are dissatisfied with the after-sales services of computers. Cloze 1. unpopular 4. privatisation 7. sums 10.with 13.pay2. an 5. defense 8. tax-payer 11.profitable 14.as3. employees 6. concern 9. Since 12.than 15.admiredExtended activitiesB. Lexical knowledgeI.Verb pollute arrange observe treat permit inform divide produce manage consider II. lazy laziness partner partnership likely likelihood ideal idealism scholar scholarshipNoun pollution arrangement observation treatment permission information division production management considerationVerb combine suggest repeat found invent develop educate require discuss confuse criticize criticism relation relationship careless carelessness leader leadership mother motherhoodNoun combination suggestion repetition foundation invention development education requirement discussion confusion adult adulthood shy shyness child childhood 1. Tourism 3. Laziness 5. scholarship 7. relationship 9. likelihoodtour tourism friendly friendliness hero heroism 2. childhood 4. shyness 6. helplessness 8. heroism 10.leadershipB. Function and Structure 1. Complete the following dialogues: 1) Mike: Is there any chance of my borrowing your typewriter? Tom: For how long? Mike: Until next Monday. Tom: Yes, I think that would be all right. 2) Mr. White: Hi, Mr. Johnson. Can you spare me a few minutes? I?m totally confused by these accounts. Could you give me some advice? Mr. Johnson: What accounts? Oh, just leave them to me. You?re a new hand after all. Mr. White: Thank you for the offer, but I have to learn how to deal with them all by myself eventually. 3) On the train Passenger A: Excuse me. Is this seat taken? Passenger B: No, it?s not. Passenger A: Oh, thank you. Passenger B: Oh, what a heavy trunk! Can I give you a hand? Passenger A: (He puts his trunk in the overhead rack.) No, thank you. I can manage, really. Passenger A: It?s hot, isn?t it? Could you oblige me by opening the window? Passenger B: My pleasure. 4) Susan: Would you be so kind as to let me stay with you for a few days? Elsa: It really depends on when. Susan: Until next weekend, if it?s OK. Elsa: Oh, I?m so sorry. My sister will visit me the day after tomorrow. 5) Mr. Blake: May I ask a favor of you? Miss Stewart: Yes? Mr. Blake: Could I bother you to get Mr. Irvin at Account Department on the telephone for me? Miss Stewart: All right. Let me do it for you. (She dials.) Hello, Mr. Blake calling Mr. Irvin, please. (to Mr. Blake) He?s on the phone. (She hands him the receiver.) Mr. Blake: Mr. Irvin, I?m awfully sorry to say that I find myself in an embarrassing situation. I made another lunch date for today and forgot to enter it in my appointment book. May I bother you to set aside half an hour for me tomorrow noon? 6) Michelle: Oh, Harry, what?s up? Why are you staying up so late? Harry: Today?s translation assignment is very difficult and I haven?t finished it yet. Michelle: Would you like me to do it for you? Harry: It?s very kind of you to offer, but I think I can do it myself. 7) Mrs. Smith: Philip, Philip, can you give me a hand? Mr. Smith: OK, darling. Mrs. Smith: Would you please join me in the kitchen? It?s getting late and we have vegetables to prepare. Mr. Smith: Leave it to me. I?ll make the vegetable salad. Robbie: Mom, how about me preparing the apple pie?Mrs. Smith: No, it?s all right. You just relax with your grandpa. I?ll get you to help serve later.8) Cathy: Would you mind if I turn the TV on? There?s a cowboy film on channel 8. Fanny: Really? Wonderful! I?d like to watch it too. By the way, will you do me a favor? Cathy: Yeah? Fanny: I was wondering if you could lend me your car tomorrow. Cathy: No problem.C. Practical reading1. unlucky in love 3. courtship 5. woo, woo 7. Romance 9. deal 2. in tears 4. agreement, agreement 6. on-off 8. leap into bed 10.dowryD. Additional vocabularyMatch the following words about company ownership and economy with their Chinese equivalents. 1. global corporation 33. 全球公司 2. multinational corporation 31. 跨国公司 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35.holding company trading company trust company subsidiary company paper company parent company industrial company public limited company (PLC) private limited company public utility company big business small business small and medium-sized company conglomerate overseas-funded enterprises joint venture single-proprietor business partnership business joint-stock company non-stock corporation state enterprise public sector private sector manufacturing sector service sector nationalization privatization planned economy market economy knowledge economy economy of scale mixed economy controlled economy21. 32. 20. 2. 8. 9. 1. 3. 17. 24. 5. 18. 26. 15. 12. 4. 30. 14. 29. 35. 25. 28. 13. 6. 34. 19. 10. 22. 11. 7. 16. 27. 23.控股公司 贸易公司 信托公司 子公司 皮包公司 母公司 工业公司 (股票)上市公司 私营有限公司 公用事业公司 大企业 小企业 中、小型公司 联合大企业 外资企业 合资企业 独资企业 合伙企业 股份公司 非股份公司 国有企业 公共部门 私营部门 生产部门 服务业部门 国有化 私有化 计划经济 市场经济 知识经济 规模经济 混合经济 受控经济Unit 3 Reading IPre-reading: 1. Brainstorming: (Key for reference) noun collar, sleeve, cuff, button, buckle, zip fastener, lace, lining, pocket, tie, bow tie… verbcolor, size, material, fabric, style, price, brand, pattern, design, cloth… skirt, blouse, jacket, shirt, T-shirt, sweatshirt, coat, overcoat, waistcoat, sweater, pullover, trousers, pants, shorts, suit, blue jeans, underwear… put on, wear, dress, undress, fasten, change, unfasten, take off, pull off, loosen,Exercise2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences. 1. b 2. c. 3. b 4. d 5. c3. Give the English word for the meaning provided.1. fashion 2.classify 3.trickle 4.mature 5.reject 6. privilege 7.fad 8.imitate 9.identify 10.adopt 11.appeal 12.casual 4. Put the following expressions from the text in the blanks to complete the sentences. Make changes where necessary. 1. in a way 2. affordable 3. in addition 4. compete with 5. has been trickling down 6. based on 7. appealing to 8. has been handed down 9. belief 10. is, disapproved of 11. are more concerned with 12. symbol 13. to speak of 14. rather than 15. originate 5. Rewrite the following sentences and replace the italicized words with appropriate words or phrases from the text. 1. This man is concerned with environmental protection. 2. It is no good for people to compete with each other. 3. Direct taxation is usually based on income. 4. In order to find a better job than the present one, Jack worked hard and learned some necessary skills in addition. 5. You should classify the information you have collected at your own convenience. 6. It is a pity that classical music nowadays appeals to few university students. 7. Reading this novel, we can identify (ourselves) with the main character.6. Word study1. a. The recent rise in crime is a matter of considerable public concern. b. Deeply concerned at the news of an air-crash, Mr. Smith called the airline company for further information. c. A civil servant should be always concerned for the welfare of the people. 2. a. Mail has to be classified in post office according to where it is to go. b. Eggs are classified by weight as Extra Large, Large, Medium, Small, and Peewee. c. The classification of books in the library helps people to find more easily the books they want. 1. a. Identified as one of the most popular singers, Cathy was surrounded by her fans and pressed to leave signatures for them. b. It seems to some people quite natural to identify poverty with crime. c. To defend against loss or theft, the cards usually require the user to enter a personal identification number as well. 4. a. The argument that the use of steam engine originated many other reforms is generally agreed upon. b. Today's ceremony is a modern version of a tradition which has its origins in medieval times. c. It's not a bad movie, but there's nothing very original about it. 5. a. Feminists rejected traditional notions of the role of women in society.. b. The young man keeps applying for jobs but constant rejections have depressed and discouraged him. c. Catherine rejected many suitable men before settling on Tom. Post-reading Task 1 ? Fashion was one means by which people competed with one another. ? People hope to raise their social position by following the fashions of privileged people. ? Fashion is a form of nonverbal communication that provides a way for people to express their identities and values. ? People follow fashion to make them more attractive. ? People treat fashion as a symbol of rebellious political and social beliefs. Reading IIDictation What is your dress sense like? Do all clothes suit you? Can you wear any style or color you like and still look good? For most of us, the answer is no. We have to choose our clothes carefully to suit ourselves and the shape of our body. Patterns make things look different, so if you are not as slim as you would like to be, wear dark colors or choose suitable patterns. If you are tall and thin, don?t wear vertical stripes. A T-shirt with horizontal stripes, on the other hand, will make your shoulders look broader. Comprehension 1. F 2. T 3. T 4. F 5. NM6. T 7. F 8. T 9. F 10. FVocabulary 1. c 2. b 3. a 4. a 5. a 6. d 7. d 8. c 9. b 10. b Translation 1. Though we?re not concerned with who is right or wrong, we want to find out the cause of the accident. 2. This chain store sells a variety of men?s wear and women?s wear. 3. It turned out that the gold watch of the hotel manager had been handed down to him from one generation to another in his family. 4. The size of garments can be classified into four types: small, medium, large and extra large. 5. Hemingway was good at describing bullfighting, which originated in Spain. 6. In a way, the entrepreneurs with the most practical experience are the wisest and the most capable. 7. It was because of its challenging nature that the chance of working abroad appealed to him. 8. The committee disapproved of the proposal because they were not willing to run the risk of losing money. 9. As the phrase was used repeatedly, it began to take on a different meaning. 10. Many recent immigrants to America often cling to the values of their own nations. Cloze 1. demanding 4. Advertisers 7. follow 10.photographed 13.charge2. Models 5. pose 8. acting 11.fashion 14.fees3. under 6. in 9. desired 12.specific 15.contracts Extended activitiesA. Lexical knowledge I. cover →coverage long→length propose →proposal marry→marriage warm→warmth survive→survival store→storage true→truth refuse→refusal pack→package grow→growth dismiss→dismissal stop→stoppage young→youth arrive→arrival block→blockage wide→width bury→burial II. patient patience inefficient inefficiency brave bravery curious curiosity certain certainty machine machinery attend attendance current currency infant infancy honest honesty expect expectancy slave slavery bake bakery major majority depend dependence secret secrecy 1. secrecy 2. machinery 3. certainty 4. accuracy 5. inefficiency 6. patience 7. bakery 8. majority 9. Attendance 10.curiosity B. Function and Structure 1. Complete the following dialogues. 1)Mr. Steven: Good morning, Robbie. Oh, what?s wrong with you? Robbie: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Mr. Steven: Sure you?re OK? You look so depressed. Robbie: I simply don?t know how to continue with my new marketing project. Mr. Steven: There?s no reason to feel discouraged. Surely the project is getting complicated. If you keep trying, you?ll certainly find a way out. Robbie: May be you are right. I?ll keep trying. Mr. Steven: Just have confidence in yourself. 2) Mr. King: Hello, Maggie. Can you get the report done before Tuesday? Maggie: I?m afraid I can?t, Mr. King. You see, I?ve completed only half of it. Mr. King: Oh, come on, Maggie. You can do it! You?re the best secretary in the company. I have every reason to believe you can finish it. Maggie: Thank you very much for your encouragement. I?ll try my best to get the work done on time. 3) Bill: Are you all right? Susan: I?m so upset, Bill. I didn?t get the promotion. Bill: I can?t believe it, Susan. You?ve been doing great. You are the best in your division. If anyone deserved it, you did. Susan: Thanks for your understanding, Bill. I really did think I was going to get it and that?s why it hurts so much. Bill: Don?t let it get you down. There?ll be other promotions. Better luck next time. 4) Sally: Mr. Thompson, I?m very sorry. I don?t know why I did so poorly today. Mr. Thompson: It?s not so bad as you thought. Overall you played a good game and you stuck to the game plan. Sally: Well, I should have done better. I prepared well and was mentally up for the game. Mr. Thompson: Again, no faults of yours. Your opponent is an experienced player. You made a small error and she jumped at it. Sally: Yeah, she really played a perfect game today. Mr. Thompson: She sure did. But don?t take it so badly. Anyway, there?s always a second chance. You will play her later in the season. I?m sure you can beat her if you improve your serves. Cheer up, my dear. Sally: It?s very kind of you to say so. I don?t know why I let it get me down. 5)Mary: Mrs. Smith, you seem to be a bit upset. Could I ask what you are worried about? Mrs. Smith: My husband was badly hurt in an accident last night. Mary: Really? That?s too bad. I?m sorry to hear that. I should worry if I were you. Mrs. Smith: It was terrible, and I hope I?ll never experience anything like it again in my life! Mary: Everything will be fine. You needn?t worry about that too much. Please let me know if there?s anything I can do. I?ll be glad to take care of the kids while you go to the hospital. Mrs. Thomson: I?m OK. Thank you very much for your kindness. I might need your help tomorrow if you don?t mind. Mary: Not at all. 6) Cathy: Oh, Jean, everything OK? You look so terrible. Jean: Darn, I lost my handbag in the restaurant. Cathy: I?m sorry to hear that. Have you called the restaurant?s lost and found department? Jean: Yes, I did. They said they knew nothing about my bag. I?ve got my ID card, my driving license, my visa and $ 500 in it. All was gone now! Mary: Come on, come on, my dear. It could happen to anybody. Let?s just hope for the best. You know, it happens every day that people lose and find things. 7) Jack: How did you do in the speech contest? Mike: Don?t mention it. I passed the first round but in the second round I was beaten. Jack: What a shame you didn?t win the contest. Now, don?t get upset about it. Try and look on the bright side. You lost the game but gained the experience. That?s important. Mike: I?m so grateful. 8) Lily: Jessica, may I know what is worrying you? Jessica: How discouraging! It seems I can never write a good composition. Lily: Come on, you?re doing very well. Jessica: Doing very well? Just look at the teacher?s corrections all over the pages. I?m afraid I?ll have to give up my writing course. Lily: Don?t give up now! You can do it, I?m sure. Jessica: No, I don?t think so. Lily: Have you heard of the old saying, “ Where there is a will, there is a way”. Just stick to it. You?ll improve as you write more. Jessica: Thanks.C. Practical reading 1. c 2. d 3. b 4. b 5. c 6. a 7. a 8. b D. Additional vocabulary Match the following words about clothes with the Chinese equivalents. 1. jeans 11. 牛仔裤 2. blouse 18. 女衬衫 3. T-shirt 15. T 恤衫 4. skirt 7. 裙子 5. pants / trousers 6. 裤子 6. dress 2. 连衣裙 7. suit 17. 成套西服 8. vest / waistcoat 26. 背心 9. jacket 24. 茄克 10. overcoat 21. 大衣;外套 11. gown 23. 宽大的外衣;晨衣 12. maternity dress 33. 孕妇服 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35.shirt overall dustcoat raincoat shorts pullover pajamas nightdress underwear sweater fur cotton wool leather silk print stripe check ready-made tailor-made formal wear casual wear sport wear34. 4. 3. 19. 8. 30. 35. 10. 22. 12. 1. 32. 29. 27. 14. 16. 25. 28. 31. 20. 13. 5. 9.(男用的)衬衫 (连衣)工作服 风衣 雨衣 短裤 套衫 (尤指男子穿的)睡衣裤 女睡袍 内衣 毛线衫 毛皮 棉布 羊毛 皮革 真丝 印花布 条纹布 格子布 现成服装 定做的衣服 礼服 便装;休闲装 运动服Unit 4 Reading I Pre-reading: 1. Brainstorming: (Key for reference)a. bargain an effective sales technique to encourage customers to purchase something offered, sold or bought cheap an opportunity not to be missed to buy something at a price lower than usual a trick to make you buy something that you don?t really need to negotiate over the terms of an agreement or contract to negotiate with the seller for the purpose of bringing the price down a good way to save money an unusual way of “making” money a way of making expensive products appear cheapb. discount store 折扣商店, chain store 连锁商店, grocery store 杂货店, sky market 露天市场, night market 夜市, street market 路摊, Text Notes garage sale 现场旧货出售, five-and-ten-cent store / dime store 廉价商店, e-business in the Internet 网上交易, flea market 跳蚤市场(旧货和廉价商品市场) public produce market 农产品零售市场, secondhand market 旧货市场supermarket 超级市场, auction market 拍卖市场,1. …the attraction of the novelty soon fades: Soon, people lose their interest in this new cheap product and no longer have the enthusiasm to buy it 2. …breathtaking impertinence: Although the one-penny reduction of the price may well be considered to be an insult, it produces great excitement to buyers and encourages them to buy it.Exercises2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences.1. c2.b3.a4.c5.b3. Give the English word for the meaning provided. 1. accuse 2.whereupon 3.novelty 4.fade 5.outrage 6.defense 7.extort 8.innocent 9.breathtaking 10.sane 11.trifle 12.tremendous 4. Put the following expressions from the text in the blanks to complete the sentences. Make changes where necessary. 1. extravagant 2. for the sake of 3. in bulk 4. falls for 5. served her right 6. for his lifetime 7. whereupon 8. trifle 9. are, piled up 10. in her defense 11. to start with 12. all the same 5. Rewrite the following sentences and replace the italicized words with appropriate words or phrases from the text. 1.The peddler bought batteries in bulk and sold them to public at a low price. 2. This dress is a trifle too short. 3.I?ll do whatever I can for the sake of my family. 4.It will serve robbers right if they are put into prison. 5.The good-for-nothings stopped the little boy and extorted money from him. 6.The firm marketed many types of goods throughout the country. 7. Since you?ve bought these shares, you might as well hold them till their value goes up. 8. It has never occurred to me that I ?ll open my own business. 6. word study 1. a. The shop assistant was accused of theft and taken to the police station b. Human rights lawyers have accused the police of beating Martin to death. c. He resolutely denied the accusation that he had accepted bribes. 2. a. She was fired, even though she offered to buy dishwashing detergent for the center. b. Bargains are offered as an inducement for more customers to come and buy. c. All the houses built are sold out and the ones being built have already been under offer. 3. a. childen could hardly resist the temptation of the wonderful look and tantalizing smell of the fruits on the dinner table. a. This type of plastic is highly resistant to steam and acid. b. Any policy that creates unemployment is likely to meet with strong resistance. 4. a. The memory of the last disaster had faded from people?s mind. b. Your natural hair colour begins to fade as you grow older. c. The sound of the motorboat faded away in the distance. 5. a. The consumption of alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in some countries. b. They are prohibited from revealing details about/to the candidates.c. All schools strictly enforce the prohibition against smoking on school grounds.Post-reading To be a great bargain hunter? Simply try these tricks: ? Never buy anything just because it’s on sale. Make sure you’ll actually wear the item and that it works with at least a few pieces in your existing wardrobe. ? Work your connections. Keep in touch with sales staff at your favorite stores and ask them to advise you of upcoming sales and specials in advance. ? Shop with a mission. Try to have a look or an item in mind when you venture out rather than just aimlessly browsing. ? Unless you’re an accomplished seamstress, don’t buy items that are ill-fitting or flawed. ? Go shopping with a friend. The best reason is so they can talk you out of an unwise purchase. They can also offer a second opinion on the usefulness, value, or beauty of the merchandise you are considering. ? You can seem genuinely interested in the merchandise and friendly to the vendor, while your partner points out all the disadvantages, without belittling the merchant directly. ? Shop seasonal sales. Make seasonal purchases ― winter coats, leather jackets, bathing suits, even summer dresses ― at the end of the season. You'll get major discounts, and you'll be stocked up for next year. ? Invest in wear-with-anything pieces. A great-fitting pair of black trousers and a knee-length skirt go the distance, since you can wear them several times a week, paired with different tops. ? Check out discount stores for basics. Discount department stores may not be the place to buy an elegant evening dress, but they’re perfect for snapping up t-shirts, basic stretch pants, and cotton undergarments. ? Bump up your accessories. Spend your money on beautiful shoes and a great bag. Rich-looking extras make even the simplest outfit look polished. ? Take inventory before you shop. Impulse buys can be a waste of money ― especially if you splurge on a pair of black pants, only to see your ten other pairs when you get home. Assess your needs before you hit the stores so you won't buy pieces similar to those you already have. ? Look for store labels. Many department stores, such as Saks Fifth Avenue, have a house clothing brand. They offer up-to-the-minute styles but are much cheaper than big-name brands.Reading IIDictationManufacturing companies compete for some special display places. In fact, there is strong competition among them. Each one wants to win the display shelf placed at eye level in a grocery store. Products that are placed on the top or bottom shelves are not purchased by many shoppers. The easiest product to choose is the one that is easiest to see, so there are advantages to having a product within easy reach.Comprehension1. F 2. T 3. T 4. F 5. F 6. NM 7. T 8. F 9. T 10. NMVocabulary1. c 2. b 3. d 4. a 5. c 6. b 7. c 8. d 9. a 10. b Special Use: 1. c 6. d 11.aI. 2. c 7. d 12.d3. d 8. b 13. c4. c 9. c 14. a5. d 10.b 15. cII.1. would go, were 2. were 3. had paid, was 4. stayed 5. had gone, would be 6. would have taken 7. had rained 8. left 9. had caught, would not be waiting 10. didn?t follow, had, wouldn?t have had, had followedTranslation1. The evil man who had repeatedly extorted money from Jane was finally caught. 2. Since the color of the shoes matches your dress, you might as well buy it. 3. The employees accused some members of the Committee of accepting / taking a bribe from the owner of a private business. 4. For the sake of convenience, we can discuss their plan to increase sales from three aspects. 5. Her finger was cut off by a machine in an accident five years ago. 6. It had never occurred to me for a moment that he could have made such a silly decision. 7. His work piled up while he was in hospital. 8. Although he is very proud / self-important, I think you should ask him for advice all the same. 9. We tried to persuade him to agree to the company?s pay offer, but he refused. 10. Jack always prefers to start early rather than leave everything to the last minute.Cloze1. concern 5. or 9. discounting 13.undercuts2. relation 6. disapproval 10.lower 14.responding3. competing 4. pricing 7. Similarly 8. but 11.prices 12.at 15.inExtended activitiesA. Word FormationI. 1. changeable weather 2. reliable sources 3. regrettable failures 4. a knowledgeable professor 5. a permissible error 6. an enjoyable weekend 7. a comfortable life II.8. a commercial center 9. a musical or a musical comedy 10.an additional tax 11.a national football team 12.educational background 13.a traditional festival 14.a formal invitationimagination imaginary custom customary please pleasant differ different Europe European suburb suburban satisfaction satisfactory moment momentary confidence confident tolerance tolerant second secondary preparation preparatory Canada Canadian America American urge urgent exist existent 1. customary 2. suburban 3. satisfactory 4. confident 5. momentary 6. pleasant 7. American 8. different 9. imaginary 10.urgentB. Function and Structure 1. Complete the following dialogues. 1) Cindy: What?s wrong? You look so tired, Susan. Susan: Nothing. I didn?t sleep well. You see, the couple next door quarreled bitterly last night. And whenever it starts, it lasts for hours. I?m really fed up with their quarreling like that. They are driving me mad. I hate living next to them. Cindy: If I were you, I?d do something to bring back peace between them. Susan: I?m afraid that?s the last thing in the world I should do. 2) Cathy: Would you please not to use a cup as an ashtray, Tommy? It doesn?t look good. Tommy: Oh dear, I?m sorry. But whenever I want to smoke, there?s never an ashtray around. Cathy: Why don?t you complain to the waiter? I?m sure he will get you one. Tommy: Good idea. Excuse me, waiter, would you mind bringing me an ashtray? Waiter: Oh, I do apologize. What negligence! I will get one for you right now. 3) Customer: Excuse me, miss. I?m sorry to bother you, but I?m afraid that I have a complaint to make about the TV set I bought here last week. Saleswoman: May I know what the problem is? Customer: It simply doesn?t work. When I turned it on, there?s no sound nor picture. Saleswoman: Did you use the antenna? Customer: Yes, I did. But it didn?t help. Saleswoman: It?s unbelievable. Did you try it here before you took it home? Customer: You didn?t allow me to try it, did you? Salesman: I just don?t know what to say. I?m awfully sorry. Please send the set in and we?ll have it checked. 4) Mr. Johnson: Tom, you are always late for class. I think I have to give you a warning. Tom: I?m awfully sorry, Mr. Johnson. But every morning I get to the bus stop, there is always a huge crowd waiting and… Mr. Johnson: That?s no excuse. I just want to let you know this kind of behavior is not acceptable in my class. Tom: But, Mr. Johnson… Mr. Johnson: Tom, but me no buts. Mind you, I?m not prepared to put up with that any longer. 5) Boss: I think it?s about time you got the report ready, Miss White. I asked you to finish it today, didn?t I? Secretary: I?m sorry, Mr. Robinson, but it?s not quite ready yet. I?ll have it done by tomorrow. Boss: It?s too late. You?ve been working on it for two weeks already. I hate to bring this up, but how come you can?t have your work done on time? Secretary: I?m not very familiar with this new computer program. And I still haven?t caught up with the work I missed while I was on vacation. Boss: Well, I?ve had enough of your excuses, Miss White. Your work has been slipping for the past several months. I?m rather upset about your slackness. Secretary: Please accept my apology, Mr. Robinson. I know I?m not working up to my capabilities. You?ll see a real improvement in my work from now on.6) Jessica: I wish you wouldn?t play the TV so loud. Mary: Sorry. I didn?t realize I was bothering you. Were you trying to sleep? Jessica: Yeah. And by the way, please don?t use my computer without asking. Mary: I apologize. You?re right. I should have asked. 7) Diner: So you are the waitress in chief here. I?m afraid I have a complaint to make about your service. First, I?m not at all satisfied with the surrounding here. The dim light gave me a lot of trouble when I tried hard to make out what on earth was there in the menu. It?s stuffy and hot. Would you mind having the air-conditioner on? Please tell your dear customers that smoking is not permitted here. The nasty smell is driving me mad. Second, I?m fed up with the waitress?s inefficiency and carelessness. I waited for more than half an hour until somebody actually noticed me. When I was served, the girl brought me wrong dishes three times. As for those dishes, you see, the soup is too salty and the bread is stale. By the way, would you please ask your staff to cut their fingernails shorter and wash their hands before serving the dishes. I think it?s about time you threw this dirty and greasy tablecloth away. I?m not prepared to tolerate all these any longer. By the way, the bill you sent me was incorrect. Waitress in chief: Oh dear, I?m awfully sorry. 8) Mary: You look so miserable. What?s the trouble? Jenny: Oh, it?s just the life…it?s so boring. I?m fed up with cooking dinners, washing dishes, scrubbing the floor, bathing the baby, watering the garden, ironing clothes… Every day just the same. I?m totally exhausted. Mary: But you needn?t hurry to work every morning, in a crowed bus. Think of those career women. A full-time job to take as well as a family to look after! They have more reason to complain than you.C. Practical readingA. B. C. D. E. F. G. H. I. J. K. L. $40 48-hour $1250 1 year $1650 2 days $160 31-day 3-day $380 15-day 24-hour charge for the on-site maintenance contract of the notebook computer home delivery of the desktop computer price of the desktop computer warranty of the notebook computer price of the notebook computer free training of how to use the desktop computer at the company price of the software included in the package of the desktop computer money-back guarantee of the desktop computer free training of how to use the notebook computer price of the software of the notebook computer money-back guarantee of the notebook computer free delivery of the notebook computerD. Additional vocabulary Match the following words about consumer and consumption with the Chinese equivalents. 1. commodity b. 商品 2. commodity market p. 商品市场 3. consumer i. 消费者 4. consumer durables v. 耐用消费品 5. consumer non-durables a. 非耐用消费品 6. consumer resistance w. 消费者的抵制 7. consumer price index g. 消费品价格指数 8. Consumer Council o. 消费者利益保护委员会 9. consumer protection h. 消费者保护 10. consumer demand u. 消费者需求 11. consumer borrowing q. 消费者举债 12. consumer spending k. 消费者的开销 13. consumer acceptance x. 消费者接受某品牌的意向 14. consumer goods s. 消费品;生活资料 15. consumer credit l. 消费者信贷 16. consumer group f. 消费者集团 17. consumer investment r. 消费者投资 18. consumer services m. 消费者服务 19. consumerism e. 消费者主义 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25.consumables consumption tax consumption loan conspicuous consumption induced consumption home consumptionc. y. j. t. d. n.消耗(费)品 消费税 消费性贷款;个人贷款 炫耀性消费;铺张消费 诱发消费 国内消费Unit 5 Reading I1. Brainstorming: (key for reference)Compulsory subjects Maths Physics Chemistry English Chinese Management Business EconomicsExercisesElective subjects Arts Literature Music Biology Geography History Public relations AccountingOthers Banking American culture British culture Business writing Negotiation International trade Hotel management Secretary2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences. 1. c 2. b 3. c 4. b 5. D 3. Give the English word for the meaning provided.1.revise 5. outline 9. segment 2. scope 3. achieve 4. trick 6. modest 7. intellectual 8. announce 10. undertake 11. guideline 12. approach4. Put the following expressions from the text in the blanks to complete the sentences. Make changes where necessary. 1. to fit into 2. put off 3. glazing over 4. sticks to 5. arising fro 6. stirred yourself 7. for the time being 8. take in 9. to try out 10. went for 11. to be dipped into 12. sets, aside 13. at sea 14. are being brought down 15. to take control of 16. more or less5. Rewrite the following sentences and replace the italicized words with appropriate words or phrases from the text.1. If you make a promise, you should stick to it. 2. The meeting has been put off for a week. 3. I?m at my best in the morning. 4. By comparison, day flights are more crowded than night flights. 5. Marketing of this product was first carried out on a small scale. 6. Accidents often arise from / out of carelessness. 7. This tent can hold up to twenty people. 6. Word study 1. a. During his summer holidays he soaked himself in his new novel. b. The decoration firm soaked me for the decorations they did to my apartment. c. The rain had come in through the bottom of our tent and completely soaked our clothes. 2. a. I almost lost control of the business I had worked so hard to build. b. Mary used diet and exercise to bring her weight under control . c. The installed computer systems will control the lighting, heating and security of your house. 3. a. She eventually achieved her goal of becoming a professor. b. The Charity Committee is said to have already achieved its goal of collecting 100,000 dollars for the poor and the homeless. c. Landing on the moon for the first time was regarded as an epic achievement of the human race. 4. a. To carry out this project would require increasing the investment by 40%. b. All the incoming students are required to take placement examination as soon as they get registered. c. As science and technology have advanced, the requirement for back-breaking toil has diminished. 5. a. She has been racking her brains for quite a long time, but so far she has accomplished nothing. b. The task to turn China into one of the most powerful countries will not be accomplished in one generation. c. The accomplishment of the learning tasks depends mainly upon the efforts of both teachers and students.Reading IIDictation In Europe today, children are required by law to go to school. In Britain, children between the ages of five and sixteen have to attend school. Many stay at school until they are eighteen years old, when some go on to university. The school day begins at about 9.00am and continues until between 3.30pm and 4.30pm, depending on the age of the students. After that, the students are free - except for their homework, of course. Comprehension1. F 6. T 2.T 7. F 3. F 8. NM 4. NM 5. T 9. T 10. FVocabulary1. c 2. b 3. a 4. c 5. d 6. a 7.b 8. cSpecial use: Subjunctive mood of verbs (2)I. 1. a 2. d 3. a 4. a 5. a 6. d 7. c 8. a 9. b 10. a II. 1. has been decided, (should) be offered 2. did/had done, (should) be set 3. (should) be shortened, (should) be improved 4. should divorce 5. was 6. (should) be 7. (should) report 8. (should) costTranslation1. Sorry, I can?t fit in any more callers/visitors this morning 2. Let?s try out the computer before we finally decide to buy it. 3. You must look ahead before you go further into the matter. 4. You?ll solve this problem if you really work at it. 5. The students find it easy to take in what you teach. 6. Because of mass production, the price of the medicine has been brought down. 7. His lateness was due to the very heavy traffic on the motorway. 8. Tonight?s program focuses on the housing problem. 9. It took the new teacher months to bring her class under control. 10. Can you look out for a present for Mary while you?re out shopping?Cloze1. it 9. vary 13.occasion 2. required 6. assume 10.helpful 14.By 3. rarely 7. working 11.which 15.manageable 4. overcome 8. allocate 12.subjects 5. efficiently Extended ActivitiesA. Lexical Knowledge I. 1. homeless 3. doubtful 5. careful 7. useful II. 2. painful 4. harmless 6. fearless 8. restlesscreate creative poet poetic(al) attend attentive red reddish ocean oceanic produce productive book bookish history historic(al)1. attentive 3. reddish 5. attractive 7. creative 9. productive 6. childish 8. heroic 10.British 4. historicalBritain British decide decisive hero heroic tall tallish progress progressive economy economic(al) child childish attract attractive2. economicalA. Function and Structure 1. a) Do you take interest in politics? Yes, actually, I do. b) Are you interested in dancing? Well, yes, to a certain extent. But I prefer singing to dancing. c) Do you take interest in pop music? Well, I?m not particularly keen on it, actually. I prefer listening to classical music. d) Are you fond of country music? Well, yes. But I like jazz better. e) Are you into playing tennis? Well, really, no. f) Do you take much interest in the cinema? Yes, I do. But I?m more interested in going to the theatre. C. Practical reading1. c 2. d 3. b 4. a 5. b 6. b 7. c 8. d 9.a 10. dD. Additional vocabulary 1. university 1. 大学 2. college 3. polytechnic 4. technical school 5. vocational school 6. schoolmaster 7. principal 8. president 9. teaching assistant 10. lecturer 11. associate professor 12. professor 13. Teaching staff / faculty 14. instructor 15. tutor 16. freshman 17. sophomore 18. junior 19. senior 20. certificate 21. diploma 22. degree 23. Bachelor 24. Master 25. Doctor 26. tuition f 27. curriculum 28. scholarship 29. subsidy9. 学院 13. 工艺学校 23. 技术学校 11. 职业学校 17. 中学校长 18. 大学校长 20. 大学校长 3. 助教 16. 讲师 14. 副教授 8. 教授 5. 教职工 12. 导师 28. 指导老师 10. 大一学生 21. 大二学生 7. 大三学生 24. 大四学生 6. 证书 26. 文凭 27. 学位 2. 学士 19. 硕士 15. 博士 4. 学费 29. 课程 22. 奖学金 25. 助学金Unit 6 Reading I Pre-reading: 1.Brainstorming: (key for reference)Chairperson of the board, President, Managing Director, General manager, Deputy /Vice president, Division/Department manager, Superintendent, Supervisor, Chief executives (CEO, CFO, CIO, etc.), Director, Section chief, Department head, Foreman, Chief engineer… President 2.Pairwork: discuss with your partner the following questions (key for reference) 1) Some students may say “in business”, but actually management can be found wherever people work together in groups. So management takes places not only in business settings but also in schools, hospitals, the military, government, service organizations, etc. 2) Management is the process of coordinating human, physical, and financial resources to achieve an organization?s objectives. 3) The major functions of business management include planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling. Human resources (employees), physical resources (materials and machinery) and financial resources (money) can work efficiently only with careful coordination of management. 4) A manager?s routine work is to get things organized, to communicate with others effectively, to appraise staff promptly, to manage public relations, and to put customers first. 5) The following skills and abilities are the keys for success in management work: 1. To think logically to make correct or prompt decisions, 2. Good at coordination work, 3. To deal with various kinds of people ranging from community leaders to employees, 4. To speak and write clearly and with authority, 5. The ability to lead and influence others.Exercise2. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences. 1. d 2. c 3. d 4. b 5. a 3. 1.supervisor 2. foreman 3. financial managers 4. middle managers 5. marketing managers 6. information managers 7. top managers 8. human resource managers 9. first-line managers 10. chief information officer 4. 1. As a result 2 compensation 3. in contrast 4. vary 5. oversee 6. has been disseminated 7. deals in 8. has survived 9. inventory 10. at all levels 11.emergence12.. a variety of5. 1.Reading provides necessary survival skills. 2.The implementation of the overseas marketing project requires a series of desk research in advance. 3.The company has recruited some new native workers to work for its overseas branches. 4. The import and export company has a sound management. 5.There was a heavy fall of snow. As a result, the delivery of the goods was delayed. 6.Experts should not put emphasis on pricing at the very beginning of negotiation.6.1. a. It was considered inappropriate for a government official to engage in commerce. b. The old professor engaged himself in making a dictionary for the advanced learners of English. c. Once Mrs Smith engages you in conversation, you're stuck with her for at least half an hour. 2. a. I can?t afford going to the theater to see plays or operas every week. b. Many smaller companies simply can not afford to buy health insurance for employees and remain in business. c. Meetings with that man of great achievement always afford me much pleasure. 3. a. The great company is headed by people confident enough to recruit people better than themselves. b. At most banks, young recruits spend a few months working as tellers. c. They failed in their recruitment of qualified violinists for their music club. 4. a. If you are going to sell your old furniture, you?d better have it evaluated by an expert first. b. It i}

我要回帖

更多关于 of their own accord 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信