come on babyyouth是加油吧,少年的意思吗?

以纪实性风格,讲述了山西一个小县城三个20岁左右的辍学少年,期的友情、亲情和爱情。 的翻译是:In jishixing style, tells a small County in Shanxi province three three years out of school youth, friendship, affection and love. 中文翻译英文意思,翻译英语
请在下面的文本框内输入文字,然后点击开始翻译按钮进行翻译,如果您看不到结果,请重新翻译!
以纪实性风格,讲述了山西一个小县城三个20岁左右的辍学少年,期的友情、亲情和爱情。
选择语言:从
罗马尼亚语
罗马尼亚语
Documentary style, tells a small county in Shanxi, three 20-year-old drop out of school youth, of friendship, affection and love.
In jishixing style, tells a small County in Shanxi province three three years out of school youth, friendship, affection and love.
A documentary of the Shanxi style, on a small county around 3 OF THE 20 year old boy, dropping out of friendship, affection and love.
By on-the-spot report style, narrated Shanxi small county seat three 20 year old of about to discontinue studies the youth, the time friendship, the dear ones and love.
相关内容&a但是你让我伤心了 But you let me be sad & a因为图书馆开门太晚会导致许多学生借书不方便 Because the library opens the door too the party to cause many students to borrow the book not to be convenient & a他准备到杭州去度假 正在翻译,请等待... & a如果一切能够重来 If all can again come & a20 M looking for a Dominant Girl 正在寻找一个统治女孩的20 M & a你打算什么时候要孩子 You planned when wants the child & ain some parts of the world the difference between 'high tide'
and 'low tide' is very big. 在世界的有些地区在‘大浪’和‘低潮之间的’区别是非常大的。 & a年,井深1188米,井径10.7厘米,1913年投产。 The year, the well depth 1188 meters, the Jingjing 10.7 centimeters, in 1913 went into production. & a石头位于澳大利亚中部 The stone is located middle Australia & athe doctor's words were good for the old man's health 医生的词为老人的健康是好 & ahappy or sad....all of you.... 愉快或哀伤….你们大家…. & a12m宽带 12m wide band & a我们心里都明白,我们不能放弃爬到山顶 正在翻译,请等待... & aof the enzyme solution. The blank sample contained 正在翻译,请等待... & a遵循外国法债券 Outside deference law of the land bond & aCould't open Game.dall. Could't开放Game.dall。 & avoor een goede groei en ontwikkeling 为好增量和发展 & a大天使的爷爷 Big angel grandfather & a你原来给我的那个叫做爱的东西,很早就消失不见了。- ????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???, ?? ??? ???? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??.& & a交际者要了解对方的文化与自己得文化在非语言交际行为、手段方面的差异与冲突所在 正在翻译,请等待... & a我非常想你,今天都干嘛了? Я думаю вы весьма, сегодня все сделал? & awar chief 战争院长 & aI
you I see you & a翼条 Wing strip & aythmer ythmer & aAhora determinar los costos de envío para la próxima semana 现在确定发货的费用为以后星期 & aFinally, we notice that convergence often can be signaled by a spike in the population 终于,我们注意汇合在人口可以由一个钉经常发信号 & a?? ??? ????? ?? ??? ?? ??? ???? 它申请了以为个体经济活动全部是重要的根本数据 & athey all depict the ways of killing his wife 他们全都描述杀害他的妻子方式 & a专做高中数学, Makes the high school mathematics specially, & awe have illustrated the use of the circulatory system to 我们说明了对循环系统的用途 & a各种各样的证书 Various certificate & a却是锦色天府不可缺少的一抹光华 Is as soon as actually the brocade color day government office essential wipes the brilliance & a“What is it?”I asked him.
& a图3-2 深6mm、不同长度缺陷By曲线 Figure 3-2 deep 6mm, different length flaw By curve & a它很静谧而非现代城市的浮华 But it very quiet non-modern city ostentatiousness & amodern civilization 现代文明 & aApoio á edi??o: bluetooth V2.1.
& aspecifications and design issues. Then the required 规格和设计问题。 然后必需 & aWhen you are lonely,please recall me and the day that we stayed with each other. When you are lonely, please recall me and the day that we stayed with each other. & aFrom now on, you're under my protection 从现在起,您是在我的保护下 & apink Nude 桃红色裸体 & a????? ???????? (30?, 60ml×30?, ?1??) 被赢取的Kyung Hee大学来来往往的血液(洪)第三步大(30枪, 60ml×30枪和共计1个箱子) & ayou are king of the you 正在翻译,请等待... & apharmaceutical products to develop and stabilize. 开发和稳定的药品。 & ahonesty is traditional virtues of China 诚实是中国的传统贤良 & a根据最近的研究,人类对这种疾病有免疫力。(be immune to ) According to the recent research, the humanity has the immunity to this kind of disease.(be immune to) & aReference Member State 参考会员国 & ano olvidar de enviar la nueva factura proforma y por favor enviar lo mas antes posible mi factura comercial en precio CIF puerto CALLAO - PERU . 不忘记送新的发货票形式上和请送,但在可能之前我的商务发票在价格CIF港CALLAO -秘鲁。 & a以纪实性风格,讲述了山西一个小县城三个20岁左右的辍学少年,期的友情、亲情和爱情。 By on-the-spot report style, narrated Shanxi small county seat three 20 year old of about to discontinue studies the youth, the time friendship, the dear ones and love. &youth_youth的意思_youth是什么意思_youth什么意思_youth的解释_百科全书_911查询
输入词条名称进行查询,例如 youth
youth youth的意思 youth是什么意思 youth什么意思 youth的解释
youth英文版YOUTHSamuel UllmanYouth i i it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red l it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a v it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease. This often exists in a man of 60 more than a boy of 20. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry, fear, self-distrust bows the heart and turns the spirit back to dust.Whether 60 or 16, there is in every human being’s heart the lure of wonder,the unfailing childlike appetite for what’s next and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station: so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the Infinite, so long as you are young.When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at 20, but as long as your aerials are up, to catch waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at 80.中文版青春 王佐良译青春不是年华,而是心境;青春不是桃面、丹唇、柔膝,而是深沉的意志,恢宏的想 象,炙热的恋情;青春是生命的深泉在涌流。 青春气贯长虹,勇锐盖过怯弱,进取压倒苟安。如此锐气,二十后生而有之,六旬男子则更多见。年岁有加,并非垂老,理想丢弃,方堕暮年。 岁月悠悠,衰微只及肌肤;热忱抛却,颓废必致灵魂。忧烦,惶恐,丧失自信,定使心灵扭曲,意气如灰。无论年届花甲,拟或二八芳龄,心中皆有生命之欢乐,奇迹之诱惑,孩童般天真久盛不衰。人人心中皆有一台天线,只要你从天上人间接受美好、希望、欢乐、勇气和力量的信号,你就青春永驻,风华常存。一旦天线下降,锐气便被冰雪覆盖,玩世不恭、自暴自弃油然而生,即使年方二十,实已垂垂老矣;然则只要树起天线,捕捉乐观信号,你就有望在八十高龄告别尘寰时仍觉年轻。青春塞缪尔·厄尔曼人生匆匆,青春不是易逝的一段。青春应是一种永恒的心态。满脸红光,嘴唇红润,腿脚灵活,这些都不是青春的全部。真正的青春啊,它是一种坚强的意志,是一种想象力的高品位,是感情充沛饱满,是生命之泉的清澈常新。 青春意味着勇敢战胜怯懦,青春意味着进取战胜安逸,年月的轮回就一定导致衰老吗?要知道呵,老态龙钟是因为放弃了对真理的追求。 无情岁月的流逝,留下了深深的皱纹,而热忱的丧失,会在深处打下烙印。焦虑、恐惧、自卑,终会使心情沮丧,意志消亡。 60也罢,16也罢,每个人的心田都应保持着不泯的意志,去探索新鲜的事物,去追求人生乐趣。我们的心中都应有座无线电台,只要不断地接受来自人类和上帝的美感、希望、勇气和力量,我们就会永葆青春。倘若你收起天线,使自己的心灵蒙上玩世不恭的霜雪和悲观厌世的冰凌,即使你年方20,你已垂垂老矣;倘若你已经80高龄,临于辞世,若竖起天线去收听乐观进取的电波,你仍会青春焕发。俄文版Молодость Молодость – это не время жизни. Это состояние души. Это не розовые щеки, красные губки, полные коленки. Это воля, качество воображения, энергия эмоций. Это свежесть глубоких родников жизни. Молодость – это безусловное превосходство смелости над робостью, жажды приключений – над праздностью и ленью. Она порой больше присутствует в шестидесятилетнем человеке, чем в юноше двадцати лет. Никто не стареет, только прибавляя число лет жизни. Мы стареем, предавая наши идеалы. Годы могут покрыть морщинами кожу. Душа покрывается морщинами, если вы забываете об энтузиазме. Беспокойство, страх, недоверие к себе разрушает сердце и превращает дух обратно в пепел. Шестнадцать ли тебе или шестьдесят, в сердце каждого человека есть стремление к познанию, ненасытный детский аппетит узнать, что дальше в безграничной радости игры, которая называется Жизнь. В самом центре сердца каждого человека существует беспроводная станция. Человек молод так долго, как долго эта станция принимает сигналы красоты, надежды, смелости, воодушевления от людей и от Природы. Если приемные антенны свернуты, не работают на прием, когда дух покрыт снегами цинизма и льдом пессимизма, значит, ты состарился, даже если тебе 20 лет. Всегда, когда твои внутренние антенны работают на прием, ловят волны оптимизма, есть надежда, что ты умрешь молодым в возрасте 80 лет.相关关于这篇文章:太平洋战争打得正酣之时,麦克阿瑟将军常常从繁忙中抬起头,注视着挂在墙上的镜框,镜框里是篇文章,名为《青春》。这篇文章一直伴随着他,也跟着他到了日本。后来,日本人在东京的美军总部发现了它,《青春》便开始在日本流传。一位资深的日本问题观察家说,在日本实业界,只要有成就者,没有哪一个不熟知不应用这篇美文的,就连松下电器的创始人松下幸之助几十年来也把《青春》当作他的座右铭。还有这么一件趣事,足以证明《青春》在日本的魅力。一天,美国影片销售协会主席罗森菲尔德参加日本实业界的聚会,晚宴之前的谈话,他随意说了一句:“《青春》的作者,便是我的祖父。”在座的各位实业界领袖大为惊讶,其中有一位一边激动地说“我一直随身带着它呢”,一边从口袋里掏出了《青春》。英文单词以下结果由译典通提供词典解释名词 n. 1. 青春时代,青少年时期[U]I spent my youth in the country. 我在乡间度过了青少年时代。 2. (男)青年,小伙子[C]There are groups of youths playing basketball over there. 那里,一群群小伙子正在打篮球。 3. 青年们[the S][(+of)][G]4. 年轻;朝气;青春[U]My youth has gone. 我的青春已不复存在。 5. 初期;早期[U]Cryonics is still in its youth. 人体冷冻学还处于初始阶段。以下结果来自互联网网络释义youth1. 青少年时期;青春,活力关于背单词(杨凡老师谈怎样背好单词(一))...youth:青少年时期;青春,活力2. 鱼死能吓死你的英文翻译! - 战斗在荷兰youth 鱼死 Youth1. 青 春时尚英语主题阅读:精美散文篇__翁云凯 主...31 Youth青 春
声明:此内容系本站根据您的指令自动搜索到的结果,不代表本站赞成其中所述的内容或立场!百科全书为您提供youth,youth的意思,youth是什么意思,youth什么意思,youth的解释
别人正在查
911查询 全部查询 网址:
(共20个)占卜求签
(共17个)民俗文化
(共16个)交通出行
(共10个)学习应用
(共26个)休闲娱乐
(共10个)站长工具
(共8个)身体健康
&2017  京ICP备号-6 京公网安备30 Come_On是什么意思啊?
3. 逐渐开始
5. (口)来呀...
6. (口)得了吧...
此词语意思很多,不同的场景、不同的语气,表达不同的意思。
其他答案(共1个回答)
除了上面答案的意思还有:(1)come 还有“加油”的意思。(2)板球投球手开始投球(3)取得进步,发展,改善,生长,发育(4)鼓励某人做某事(5)开始(6)电...
加油的意思
意思是:来吧
come on要看不同语境,才有不同的意思。你要表达不同的意思,才用不同的语调来说。1. 别人胆小,不敢起来回答问题。你说“come on”,意思是,别害羞啦,...
答: 请教各位大侠,完全不懂英语,可以在芝加哥自由行吗?谢谢
答: 百度上搜“ENGLISH211”第一个结果就是了
答: 科学教育片
science and educational film
答: 会出来的,等嘛
大家还关注
确定举报此问题
举报原因(必选):
广告或垃圾信息
激进时政或意识形态话题
不雅词句或人身攻击
侵犯他人隐私
其它违法和不良信息
报告,这不是个问题
报告原因(必选):
这不是个问题
这个问题分类似乎错了
这个不是我熟悉的地区
相关问答:123456789101112131415Unit 3-Modern Youth
This generation is sometimes referred to as theBoomerang Generation or Peter Pan Generation,because of the members' perceived penchant for delaying some rites of passage into adulthood.This generation is marked by an increased use and familiarity with communications, media, anddigital technologies. I. What for? II. Ready? III. Action! IV. Reflection! I. What for?? to develop listening skills:Cnoting different numbers and statisticsCinferring relationship between cause andeffect ? to develop speaking skills: Cmaking comparison and contrast Cpreparing a survey interview II. Ready?? A. Pre-Class Independent Learning CTask 1: Listening to a passageCTask 2: Searching the Internet? B. In-Class Warm-up ActivitiesCTask 1: Leading-in QuestionsCTask 2: Watching for Interpretation CWhat Are Echo Boomers? A. Pre-Class Independent LearningTask 1 Listening to a Passage? Get familiarized with the traits of your own generation and then reflect upon the typical problems of modern youth. New Words and Expressions -1? passionate adj. having or showing strong feelings of enthusiasm for something or belief in something 热诚的; 热情洋溢的 a ~ lover / kissHe had a ~ belief in justice.I've always been ~ about football. ? underlying adj. important in a situation but not always easily noticed or stated clearly 根本的;潜在的 the ~ causes of her depression There is an ~ assumptionthat younger workers are easier to train. New Words and Expressions -2 ? restraint n. the act of controlling or limiting somethingbecause it is necessary or sensible to do so 控制;限制I think I have a stronger ability to exercise self-~. Opposition politicians have called for ~s on public spending. The government has imposed ~s on corporatemergers. Cultural Notes-E-Generation? A new population force surrounded by on-line environment and facing information boom. Its members are transferring their experiences in cyberspace to form their expectations for everyday life, who demand rapid response, easy access and a sense of control. CTime sensitivity: timeliness and convenience are much-needed COn-line capability CStrong information bond Listen to the following passage twice and tell the generationtraits of the 1980s-born by filling out the charts below. Listening Tips Noting Numbers and Statistics - 1 ? When you write down numbers, you?re supposed to get familiarized with how to pronounce different forms of numbers in English such as how to ? distinguish numbers that sound similar: Never be confused about …?teen and ?…ty. Despite similar pronunciations they have different stresses. (e.g. four?teen and ?forty) ?say fractions (分数) and decimals (小数) such as60% 0.008% sixty percent zero point zero zero eight percent1/21/3 2/5 3/4 2 1/4 30/94 33/76 0.2 9.06one-half / a halfone-third two-fifths three-quarters or three fourths two and one-fourth or two and onequarter/a quarter thirty over ninety-four thirty-three over seventy-six (zero) point two nine point zero six ? While listening, repeat the numbersilently in your mindand note it downsimultaneously (同时). Some markers in numbers can be replaced with symbols, for example, “.” stands for “point”, “, , ,” for “…billion, …million, …thousand”. Generation Traits The 1980s-born was labeled the ______________problems with?__________ ?____________________ ______________________________________?__________?______________________________ According to the statistics mentioned in the passage, draw the appropriate pie chart to indicate the divorce rate in 2006. ___________ couples got divorced in totalCauses: 1) 2) Script & Answers? The first generation to result from the one-childpolicy are grouped as the 1980s-born, also labeled the &e-generation&, the &cool generation&, or the &new generation&. Spoiled by their parents and economic prosperity, they are bolder and morepassionate, with a strong desire to be recognized,and a different style of dressing and talking. ? Though they enjoy a better life compared with theirparents? generation, they have problems withstudying, making friends, applying for jobs and also leading marriage life. An item of recent newsstated that in 2006 nearly 25,000 couples gotdivorced. A significant number of these divorced couples were born in the 1980's and a survey revealed that 90% of those divorced couples are both the single child of their respective families. ? About one-third of them had marriages thatlasted less than 5 years and one-fifth hadmarriages under 3 years. The news also mentioned that according to experts someunderlying factors to these divorces were often,lack of patience and restraint, due to being spoiled by their families from a young age. Hints for Answers Generation Traits ?be spoiled problems withThe 1980s-born was labeled the e-generation cool generation new generation?be bolder and more passionate?have a strong desire to be recognized ?be different in dressing and talkingStudyingmaking friendsapplying for jobs leading marriage life 25000 couples got divorced in total1/5 had under-3year marriage.1/3 had under-5year marriage.90% divorcees are single/only child.Causes: 1) lack of patience and restraint 2) being spoiled from a young age The post 80’s have been labeled“The Beat Generation” “The Least Responsible Generation” “The Ignorant Generation” “The Most Selfish Generation” “The Most Revolting Generation” … Task 2 Searching the Internet? Surf the Internet and get toknow the modern youththe 1980s-born. To get a clear picture of the modern youth, search the netfor more information about the 1980s-born, then figureout what traits their pet phrases (口头禅) can reflect. ? Just be yourself. ? I learned a lot about myself ? Believe in yourself. Nothing is impossible. ? Yes, express yourself. ? You have to respect yourself. ? Be honest with yourself. ? I?m loving it. ? You have to love yourself before you can love someone else. ? Yes, stand up for yourself Hints for Answers These pet phrases feature “me/myself”, which indicates the 1980s-born are self-centered, confident, resolute and defiant. That?s why some scholars define this generation as “Generation Me” or “iGeneration” that attachesgreat importance to their own interests, needsand desires. Their way of thinking significantly differs from that of the past generation as theyadvocate the slogan “I think, I want and I can”. B. In-Class Warm-up Activities Task 1 Leading-in QuestionsTip: If you have no idea of echoboomers, look through theinformation in the charts below to get a general picture. Discuss the following questions in small groups or with your partner. ? Do you know what generation you belong to? Can you summarize some traits of your own generation? Are you interested in getting to know your counterpart in U.S.? Have you got an idea of echo boomers? Can you tell the similarities and differences between your generation and echo boomers in U.S.??? Task 2 Watching for Interpretation:What Are Echo Boomers? Tip: Follow the instructions about how to note numbers and then listen to the video twice or even more until you can fill out the charts. New Words and Expressions -1 ? come of age: the point in a young person?s life,usually the age of 18 or 21, at which their societyconsiders them to be an adult 成年;到法定年龄 Now you have come of age, you shall seek a livingfor yourself.? offspring n. someone?s child or children 子孙;后代 a young mother trying to control her ~ breed/nurture/foster ~ New Words and Expressions -2? demographic adj. related to the changing number of births, deaths, diseases, etc. in a community over a period of time 人口统计学的 ~ research/statistics? baby boomer: someone born in the U.S. during a period when a lot of babies were born, especially between 1946 and 1964 after World War II. 婴儿潮一 代;生育高峰期出生的人? grade school: (Am.) an elementary school 小学 He went to grade school in New York and high school in Chicago. New Words and Expressions -3? dominant adj. more powerful, important, or noticeable than other people or things 占优势的;支配的 a ~ building / position The ~ male gorilla is the largest in the group. Japan became ~ in the mass market during the 1980s. ? mortgage n. a legal arrangement by which you borrow money from a bank or similar organization order to ?We decided to use Fred's redundancyin money off the buy apay house, and~. pay back the money over a period of ~ rates are set to rise again in the spring. years ? 抵押 ?She was having trouble meeting her ~ payments. New Words and Expressions -4? medication n. medicine or drugs given to people who are ill 药物;药物治疗 He's on ~ for high blood pressure. ? debit card: a plastic card that can be used to take money directly from your bank account when you payfor something 借记卡;借方卡This cash card is a debit card designed to provide flexibility when making purchases. New Words and Expressions -5 ? corporate adj. involving or shared by all themembers of a group 全体的;共同的 The company is moving its ~ headquarters (=main offices) from New York to Houston. ~ America is not about to be converted to theenvironmentalist cause.? informed adj. having or showing a lot of knowledge about a it particular subject or situation ?~ sources said was likely that the President有 见识的;见多识广的 would make a televised statement. ?I became reasonably well-~ about the subject. New Words and Expressions -6? lucrative adj. producing a l making a large profit 赚大钱的;获利多的 ~ business/market/contract/investment, etc ? teens n. the years of a person?s life when they are between 13 and 19 years old 十几岁(13至19岁之间) be in one?s early/late teens ? electronics n. the electronic components used in electronic equipment 电子器件 an ~ company/industry/firm/engineer, etc the market for consumer ~ Cultural Notes-Generation Y/Echo Boomers-1? The generation following Generation X,especially people born in the UnitedStates and Canada from the early 1980s to the late 1990s. Demographics of Gen Y are listed as follows: Cultural Notes-Generation Y/Echo Boomers-2 CChildren of Baby Boomers: Oldest youngest in grade school CEcho boomer (nearly 80 million in population) vs. baby Boomers (72 million)CEthnically diverse C sensitive to diversity: 34% are Black, Hispanic, Asian, or Native AmericanCOne in four live in singleCparent households: 75% have working mothers Cultural Notes-The Millennial-1? The generation born in and after the year 1982. Millennials themselves and have statistically expressed a wish not to be associated closely with Gen X. Millennials are typically team-oriented, banding together to date and socialize rather than pairing off. Cultural Notes-The Millennial-2 ?They work well in groups, preferring this to individual endeavors. They're good multitaskers, having juggled sports, school, and social interests as children so expect them to work hard. Millennials seem to expect structure in the workplace. They acknowledge and respect positions and titles, and want a relationship with their boss. This doesn't always mesh (紧密配合) with Generation X's love of independence and hands-off (不插手的) style. Listening Tips Noting Numbers and Statistics - 2? To listen for years and large numbers, there are some characteristics you need bear in mind?Noting years: It?s easy to find years are usually pronounced in groups of two digits, such as 1972 (nineteen seventy-two), but you?re expected to notice the following way to present years. e.g. ?1805 eighteen oh five ?2007 two thousand and seven ?20th C. the twentieth century?the 1990s the nineteen nineties ? Noting large numbers: As numbers are usually in groups of three digits, the way to note large numbers is to write a comma (,) every time you hear a word such as “billion,” “million,” or “thousand.” e.g. four thousand 4, 38, thirty-eight thousandtwenty five milliontwo billion 2,,,25,, Watch 2 short video clips about echo boomers and complete the missing information below. Clip One: Definition of Echo BoomersDefinition Year of Birth Population Other Names Consuming HabitsWhat ____________ Between are echo ________ and _______ boomers? demographic and echo of baby _______ boomersAbout __________ spend ______ __________, or a year, never nearly ____ millennials on _______ of US things population. Script & Answers ? The largest generation of young people since the 1960s is beginning to come of age. They're called &echo boomers& because they're the genetic offspring and demographic echo of their parents, the baby boomers. Born between 1982 and 1995, there are nearly 80 million of them, and they're already having a huge impact on entire segments of the economy. As the population ages, they will become the next dominant generation of Americans. Who are they? What do they want? You'll be surprised. ? The oldest are barely out of college, and the youngest are still in grade school. And whether you call them&echo boomers,& &Generation Y& or &millennials,& theyalready make up nearly a third of the U.S. population, and spend $170 billion a year of their own and their parents' money. Almost none of it is spent on boring things like mortgages and medication (Cashier?s voice: “Have a good evening, guys”). Hints for AnswersClip One: Definition of Echo BoomersDefinitionYear of BirthPopulationOther NamesConsuming HabitsWhat are genetic echo offspring and boomers? demographic echo of baby boomersBetween 1982 and 1995About 80 Generation million, Y or nearly 1/3 millennials of US population.spend $170 billion a year, never on boring things Clip Two: Spending Power of Echo Boomers ? Echo boomers ?most vs. Baby Boomersthanks to _________?far out ________ and __________ ?provide a _________ market for business world ?spend money on CDs, _________, __________,and __________. ? Practice for Noting Numbers: How much do echo boomers spend?1) _______ teens to be exact out of a generation 2) _______ strong, but those numbers aren't the most impressive. Last year alone those teenagers spent 3)_________ on clothing, food, entertainment, andtechnology. That's more than the entire 4) ________ of Australia. The younger generation also influences 5)_________ worth of purchases made by their parents. Hints for Answers Clip One: Spending Power of Echo Boomers ? Echo boomers vs. Baby Boomers?most informed thanks to the Internet ?far out learn and earn ?provide a lucrative market for business world ?spend money on CDs, MP3 players, computers,and electronics ? Practice for Noting Numbers: Howmuch do echo boomers spend??1) 30 million?2) 79 million?3) $153 billion?4) national budget?4) $250 billion Script & Answers ? Armed with debit cards and shopping bags are keeping corporate America up all night. Why? Generation Y, kids today from preschool to high school make up the largest generation of young people in America ever. And thanks to theInternet, they're also the most informed. Today'sdaycare crowd is expected to far out learn and out earn their baby boom parents and already thebusiness world is taking notice. ? Retailer: I think that retailers and basicallyeverybody are finally realizing that the teenagemarket is a very lucrative one. In fact, this current group of teenagers coming up is goingto be the largest group of teenagers we've everhad in the history of this country. ? 30 million teens to be exact out of a generation 79million strong, but those numbers aren't the mostimpressive. Last year alone those teenagers spent $153 billion on clothing, food, entertainment, and technology. That's more than the entire national budget of Australia. The younger generation also influences $250 billion worth of purchases made by their parents. ? Parent: They have a lot to say in terms of what we buy. Because if they don't like it, youhear it.? And Generation Y is listening to and spending money on things we didn?t have growing up: CDs, MP3 players, computers, and electronics. Work in Pairs. Discuss with your partner what “echo” may imply here.Speaking Tips How to guess the word meaning from the context: ?Activate your cultural knowledge about baby boomers and figure out the possible connection between the twoboomers.?Guess the implication from the literal meaning (字面意思) of “echo” first and then explore the figurative meaning (喻意)based on the listening material. Sentence patterns: ?Literally, the noun “echo” means … ?Figuratively, the word “echo” bears the meaning of “…” ?As we know, the word “echo” refers to … ?Apparently, there?s a close relationship between echo boomersand baby boomers, so “echo” here may imply that …?Since both are boomers, “echo boomers” may bear some resemblance with “baby boomers”. The implication of “echo” may be … ?According to the listening material, we can infer that “echo” here implies that … Hints for AnswersLiterally, the noun “echo” refers to “a sound that you hear again after a loud noise, because it was made near something such as a wall”. Figuratively, “echo” means “something that is very similar to something that has happened or been said before” or“an opinion or attitude that agrees with or repeatsone already expressed or thought”. Therefore, we can infer that “echo boom”indicates “another boom that happens againafter the baby boom ()” and “echo boomers” refer to “the members of anotherbaby boom, the offspring of baby boomers”.But the real implication of “echo” stems from the second figurative meaning, that is, “echo boomers” tend to “agrees with others? opinions and follow their parents? advice”. In other words, echo boomers in the U.S. worship followership, cooperation and teamwork. III. Action!? A. In-Class Interactive LearningCTask 1: Case Study - I?m a Typical Echo Boomer CTask 2: Viewpoint Study: What Do They Think of Echo Boomers?? B. Post-Class Online LearningCTask 1: Multiple Choice C We?re Different GenerationsCTask 2: True or False Statements - What Are Echo Boomers like? CTask 3: Project - What Are the Twentysomethings Like? A. In-Class Interactive LearningVocabulary File Tip: Review the characteristics of modern youth mentioned in theabove listening material and blurtout any word that describes the modern youth in China. ? What do you think of the modern youth in China? Can you use some adjectives to describe the traits of our 1980sborn? Brainstorm to complete the following word map. Hints for Answers Hints-the reason to use the following descriptive words? The 1980s-born always desire to be number one, so they?re ambitious / aggressive. ? The modern youth belong to One-China generation who are the lone receivers of all the love, affection and adoration of the family. That?s why they?re overprotected, over-spoiled and over-watchedover/over-guarded. ? Their schedules are always fully arranged like this: go to school from Monday to Friday and spend four halfdays on hobby classes over the weekends. They?reobviously overburdened and over-pressured.? Growing up without brothers and sisters, they feelso lonely all the time and meanwhile they?re likelyto be self-centered and self-willed. ? With no memory of hardship, the &post-80s generation& is likely to be vulnerable and fragile when facing difficulties.? They love hopping jobs as they believe they can find the dream job eventually, which proves they?re confident and more flexible than the past generation.? They?re showered with praises and encouragement from childhood, so they are too sensitive to harsh words and sometimes are too easy to get frustrated. Task 1 Case Study: I’m a Typical Echo BoomerTip: Voice your opinions about “echo boomers? as well as “Post-80s” generation based on the words you?ve listed in the vocabulary file or the above listening material. New Words and Expressions -1? addicted adj. unable to stop taking harmful drugs, orusing or doing something as a habit 上瘾;成瘾50 million Americans are ~ed to nicotine. Most kids are highly ~ed to surfing the Net ? gratification n. the state of felling pleasure when something goes well for you or when your desires aresatisfied 满足感;快感instant ~ physical or sensual ~ New Words and Expressions -2? virtual adj. made to appear to exist by the use of computer software 虚拟的;模拟的 constructing ~ worlds The website allows you to take a ~ tour of the art gallery.? rebellious adj. unwilling to obey rules or accept normal standards of behavior, dress, etc. 叛逆的;桀骜不驯的~ teenagersa ~ spirit / temperHe's always had a ~ streak. New Words and Expressions -3? followership n. the individual desire to serve others and support a team in its task to complete a mission 追随者 精神;追随力 ? tech-savvy adj. having practical knowledge and understudying of technology 精通高科的 ? be entitled to: be given the right to have or to do something 赋予做某事的权利或资格Full-time employees are entitled to receive health insurance.Membership entitles you to the monthly journal. New Words and Expressions -4? DIY: do-it-yourself, the activity of making or repairing things yourself instead of buying them or paying someone else to do it 自己动手 ? collaboration n. the act of working with another person or group of people to create or produce something 合作;协作 a ~ between the two theatres The project has involved ~ with the geography department. Leading-in Questions: What is a typical echoboomer like? Are there any similarities betweenecho boomers in the U.S. and the “Post-80s” generation in China??First Listening: Listen to the dialogue below and try to infer the relationship between cause and effect in the dialogue. Listening TipsHow to identify the relationship between cause and effect: ?As we know, “cause and effect” shows the relationship between two things when one thingmakes the other thing happen.?It?s easy to identify the “cause-effect” relationship in a single sentence if the sentence you hear have some signal words such as if, as, because, since, so,therefore, thus, hence, etc. ?Sometimes, the listening material may demonstrate the “effect-cause” sequence. Take the dialogue for example. You may hear one phenomenon or problem is stated by one speaker (effect) and thenanother speaker will analyze the reason (cause).?One way to check whether the two things have the “cause-effect” relationship is to put them into a sentence using &if.... then...&. For example, “if there used to be baby boomers, then their offspring may also be boomers, i.e., echo boomers.” Echo Boomers, also called _________________cause effect_________ ?want _________?get addicted to ________;?enjoy _____ and _______;_______ _______focus on things _______ _______ _______ ?As ____________ young generationso they?become _________ from ?be entitled to __________ and ______________. ? Second Listening: Listen to the dialogue againand find out the reasons why the modern youth in the U.S. are called “echo boomers.” Listening Tip: Associate them with your own assumption.Causes:1)2)3) Script & Answers(In the dormitory)? Jane: Come on, Catherine, wanna go shopping with me? ? Catherine: Why bother? Everything can be handled on the Net. ? Jane: You seem too addicted to this Internet-driven world. ? Catherine: So what? We?re digital citizens. Speed and choice are what I want. ? Jane: You enjoy online shopping and short form entertainment. You?re definitely a typical echo boomer. ? Catherine: Yeah, it's all about instant access and gratification. You know, we also build our online social community. ? Jane: I feel if you focus on all things virtual, mobile and personal too intensively, you?ll become increasingly isolated from the real world. ? Catherine: How come? Actually, I?ve learnt a lot about the world from the Net. ? Jane: OK. Let me tell you what you may not know. Do you know why we?re called “echo boomers”? ? Catherine: I guess that means we?re the offspring of baby boomers and the birth of our generation has triggered another baby boom. ? Jane: Not exactly. We?re labeled as “echo boomers” partly because we “echo” views from our parents, teachers or someone else. ? Catherine: It seems to make sense. Unlike the rebellious baby boomers, we prefer followershipand team work, but you cannot deny we also have creativity. ? Jane: Of course. As the tech-savvy young generation, we're entitled to innovation and DIYcollaboration.? Catherine: See? Shopping online is also a kind of innovation. Sorry, I?m afraid I can?t go today. Could you please ask someone else to keep you company? ? Jane: Ok, whatever. I?ve got to leave. Bye! Hints for Answers ? Why are the modern youths in the U.S. called “echo boomers?”?Causes:1) The offspring of baby boomers havetriggered another baby boom.2) They “echo” views from others. 3) They prefer followership and team work. Echo Boomers, also called digital citizens. cause speed ?want choice instant access instant gratification so they effect ?get addicted to theinternet-?enjoy online shoppingand shor ?become isolated ?be entitled to innovation and DIY collaboration.focus on things visual mobile personal ?As tech-savvy generation young
Say you, say me. Imitate the dialogue you’ve heard and work in pairs to make one dialogue entitled “I’m a typical 1980s-born”. Suppose you were talking about spending habits, academic performance, family relationship orvalue system. Speaking Tips Something the typical “1980s-borns” may say or think: ? Spending habits: ?The latest MP4 sells well. I wanna change my MP3. ?I know I?m spending tomorrow?s money, but I wannahave fun. ?Entertainment is the biggest expense for our 1980s-borns. Most of our money goes toward travel, parties and other entertainment activities. ? Academic performance:?Why not give me “A” grade? I think I deserve it.?Those top students are idiots. They don?t know how to enjoy life.?Though I failed the exam, I bet I can make it next timebecause nothing is impossible. ? Family relationship: ?As the only child in the family, I enjoy all my parents' love and care. ?I wish I had brothers or sisters, and then I could share my happiness or sorrow with them. ? Value system: ?I have my own heroes. / I?m my own hero. ?I have to admit we have no religious belief. ?Honestly, I seldom care about others? opinions. ?That?s it. The 1980s-born lacks interest in politics. ?Who cares? Live in the present. Just live for yourself. ?I don?t see anything wrong with our &me first& attitude.?Unlike our parents, we hold very different ideas aboutlife values and our place in society. ?We belong to the “Post-80s” generation, heavily affected by western concepts, so we?ll become increasingly westernized and open-minded.?We?re modern youth living in the rapidly changing society,so we?re definitely more dynamic (有活力的) and flexible (灵活的) than our parents? generation. Task 2 Viewpoint Study: What Do They Think of Echo Boomers?Tips: ? Watch the video clips twice oreven more until you can fulfillthe blank-filling task. ? Feel free to exchange your notesand get the missing information. New Words and Expressions -1? ethos n. the set of ideas and moral attitudes that are typical of a particular group 气质 ~ of public service a community in which people lived according toan ~ of sharing and caring? pediatrician n. a doctor who deals with children and their illnesses 儿科医生 American psychologist and ~ New Words and Expressions -2? comply v. to obey a rule, an order, etc. 遵从;服从Failure to ~ with the regulations will result in prosecution.The newspaper was asked by federal agents for assistance and agreed to ~. ? grade inflation: a continuing increase in score 分数 增长? hop v. to change from one activity, subject or job to another 换来换去;不断变更She plans her job-hopping. New Words and Expressions -3? figure out: to think about a problem or situation until you find the answer or understand what has happened 弄懂;弄明白 Can you figure out how to do it? If I have a map, I can figure it out. Don't worry, we'll figure something out (=find a way to solve the problem). ? sociologist n. a person who studies societies and the behavior of people in groups 社会学家 a ~ who studies election trends New Words and Expressions -4? careerism n. the principle of a careerist whoconsiders their career to be more important tothem than anything else 飞黄腾达主义;(不择 手段的)野心 In short ,driver by ~,the nathional colleges and universities are more successful providing degreesand diplomas than in providing a qualityeducation for their students. New Words and Expressions -5? lay off: to stop employing somebody because there is not enough work for them to do (因工 作不多而)解雇 The company laid off 250 workers in December.Millions of people have been laid off in the steel industry.? peachy adj. very nice 顺利Everything is going ~. ? Watch the video clip below and figure out howecho boomers are viewed by different people.Listening Tips How to use shorthand:?Content words (实词) need noting down.?The first two or three letters of each content word are expected to be written down to symbolize the word. ?Make full use of “symbol representation” (符号替代法) or self-made abbreviation (自创缩写词). How do echo boomers in college view themselves? Listening tip: note their identities and positionsNick Summers and Andie Gissing are both________________ and __________ of theirrespective college newspapers, who are both in touch with the echo boomer ethos. In their opinion,the three key words to describe their owngeneration are ________________, __________________ and __________________. How does the expert comment on echo boomers?Listening tip: note their identities and positionsDr. Mel Levine, is a _______________ at theUniversity of North Carolina, and one of thebest-known ________________ in the country. His comments are as follows: ____________ shaped echo boomers.1. heavily ____________, whole life based on ____________________2. want to _________________3. prefer _______ to rebellion, ________ to individualism with ___________ values 4. Five expectations are ______________. They expect1) 2) 3) grade inflation 4)5)5. cannot ____________________ because everything needs be ____________ How do echo boomers in workforce see themselves?Dorsey and Ryan Healy both make a livingadvising their fellow 20 some-things on_____________________. Ryan started a Web site for that purpose and Dorsey has writtentwo how-to books for them. ?keep ___________ ___________ ___________?____________have no options ?blind __________: put ________ in the first place and sacrifice to achieve ________ ?There's no such thing as a ____________.________?new priorities: _______, ________ and _________ first?have ___________.?_________ great. are Script & Answers ? Nick Summers and Andie Gissing are both college seniors and editors of their college newspapers. Nick is in Columbia (University) and Andie from Middlebury College in Vermont. And as such they are both in touch with the echo boomer ethos. Steve Kroft: Who are you? What do you like? What do you want?Nick Summers: I would say that my generation tends to be very, very overachieving, over-managed.Steve Kroft: Pressured?Nick Summers: Very pressured. Andie Gissing: I would agree with that. A lot of people work hard or want to do well, I guess. ? Dr. Mel Levine, is a professor at the University of North Carolina, and one of the best-known pediatricians in the country. He says it's had as much to do with shaping this generation as technology. Dr. Mel Levine: &They have been heavily programmed. The kids who have had soccer Monday, Kung Fu Tuesday, religious classes Wednesday, clarinet lessonsThursday, whose whole lives have really been based oncomplying with what some adult tells them to do. Steve Kroft: This is a group of people who want to please?Dr. Mel Levine: They've wanted to please their parents,their friends, their teachers, their college admissions officers.Steve Kroft: It's a generation in which rules seem to havereplaced rebellion, convention is winning out over individualism, and values are very traditional. Steve Kroft: When a young person shows up for work at his or her first job, what do they expect and what arethey finding? ? Dr. Mel Levine: They expect to be immediate heroesand heroines. They expect a lot of feedback on a dailybasis. They expect grade inflation. They expect to be told what a wonderful job they're doing, that they're gonna be allowed to rise to the top quickly, that they're gonna get all the credit they need for everything they do. And boy, are they naive. Totally naive, in terms of what's really gonna happen. ? Steve Kroft: Levine says that is not the only part of their cultural conditioning that's going to require an adjustment in the workplace. ? Dr. Mel Levine: I talked to the CEO of a major corporation recently and I said, “What characterizes your youngest employees nowadays?” And he said, “There's one major thing.” He said, “They can't think long-range. Everything has to be immediate, like a video game. ? Jason Dorsey and Ryan Healy both make aliving advising their fellow 20 some-things onhow to cope with work. Ryan started a Web site for that purpose and Jason has written two how-to books for them. And while he admits his mother picked out his suit for his interview, his generation is not going to make the same mistakes their parents made. ? Dorsey: We're not going to settle. Because wesaw our parents settle. And we have options.That we can keep hopping jobs. No longer is it bad to have four jobs on your resume in a year. Whereas for our parents or even Gen X, that was terrible. But that's the new reality for us. And we're going to keep adapting and switching and trying new things until we figure out what it is. ? And figuring it out takes time. Sociologists tell us most Americans believe adulthood begins at 26 or older and that having witnessed so many sacrifices by their parents to achieve middle class security has had a huge impact. Family and friends are the new priorities. Blind careerism is beginning to fade. ? Dorsey: We definitely put lifestyle and friends above work. No question about it. ? Morley Safer: Do you both feel that that's pretty much the way one should look at life? ? Dorsey: Yeah. ? Healy: Absolutely. ? Dorsey: I do. Yeah. I do. Yeah. I remember my dadgetting laid off, all these things growing up. And that's 'cause they sacrificed for the company. Well, the first reaction for me is ?I sure don't want to do that. I'm going to be in it for me and I'm going to make it work.?? Morley Safer: Where does this fantasy about 'I'mgoing to find the dream job' -- there's no such thing as a dream job. I mean, a few of us like me. But where does this fantasy come from? ? Dorsey: I think we were told when we were little, 'You can be anything you want.' And then they went on and on and told us this. ? Morley Safer: Big lie, right? ? Dorsey: Big goals are great. Selling a fantasy that everything's going to be perfect and peachy is not. ? Healy: I also think from, when you're in your early 20s and you're really not responsible to a family of kids, this is the time to find the best job, the best career. You know, what you really want to do. Hints for Answers How do echo boomers in college view themselves? Both Nick Summers and Andie Gissing are both college seniors and editors of their respective college newspapers, who are both in touch with the echo boomer ethos. In their opinion, the 3 key words todescribe their own generation are overachieving, over-managed and pressured. How does the expert comment on echo boomers?Dr. Mel Levine, is a professor at the University of North Carolina, and oneof the best-known pediatricians in thecountry. His comments are as follows: Technology shaped echo boomers.1. heavily programmed, whole life based on parents? command 2. want to please everyone3. prefer rules to rebellion, convention to individualism with traditional values 4. Five expectations are na? ve. They expect 1) to be immediate heroes and heroines2) a lot of feedback every day 3) grade inflation 4) to be recognized for their job performance/told they did a good job 5) to get promotion or all the credits for everything5. cannot think long range because everything needs be immediate. How do echo boomers in workforce see themselves?Dorsey and Ryan Healy both make a livingadvising their fellow 20 some-things on howto cope with work. Ryan started a Web site for that purpose and Dorsey has written twohow-to books for them. ?keep hopping jobs adapting switching trying new ideas ?new priorities: family, lifestyle and friends first ?have fantasy. ?Big goals are great.?settle have no options ?blind careerism: put work in the first place and sacrifice to achieve middleclass security. ?There's no such thing as a dream job. Work in Groups. According to the above views on echo boomers in the U.S., how about your comments on the modern youth in China - One-Child generation (also called the 1980s-born or the Post-80s generation)? Make a comparison with your American counterparts, and report your findings in class.Speaking TipsHow to make comparison and contrast:?Echo boomers and One-Child generation have something in common. Both are …?Echo boomers are similar to One-Child generation in someaspects. For example, … ?The same is true of… / The same can be said of … ?Echo boomers are -er than One-Child generation. ?Compared with echo boomers, One-Child generation are much Cer. ?Although One-Child generation …, it can not competewith echo boomers in...?Contrary to widely accepted views, echo boomers are not so … as One-Child generation. ?Echo boomers cannot rival One-Child generation in… ?Echo boomers differ from One-Child generation in that… ?Echo boomers are not the same as One-Child generation. Hints for Answers Tip: Make point-by-point comparison based on the traits mentioned in all the above listening material. Sample ? Student 1 (reads one point mentioned in the listening material): Echo boomers want to please everyone. How about the One-Child generation in China?? Student 2 (agrees): The same is true of me. I?ll do whatever others expect me to do.? Student 3 (disagrees): You may be exceptional. I feel I?m not so willing to echo others? view or please others. ? Student 4 (airs one’s own view): Yeah, you can say that. In my view, our generation is more rebellious and individualistic than echo boomers. Prompts-Differences-1 ? Both generations are overprotected by their “helicopter” parents, but Chinese families in particular tend to be more protective of their children than those in some other cultures.? Echo boomers are similar to One-Child generation in some aspects. For example, both are vulnerable and fragile in face of adversity. ? They have something in common. For example, under intense peer pressure, both desire to achieve instant gratification and success. Prompts-Differences-2 ? Compared with echo boomers, the children growing upas the only child in China carry all the hopes and dreams of their families, which results in a much heavier burden than echo boomers in the U.S. ? Although One-Child generation grows up in a very loving and caring environment, it can not compete with echo boomers in good manners. ? Contrary to widely accepted views, echo boomers are not so rebellious and unconventional as the One-Child generation. Prompts-Differences-3 ? Echo boomers are more self-disciplined and conventional than their parents while One-Child generation is apt to be willful and unconventional. ? One-Child generation differs from echo boomers in that without siblings, they are likely to feel lonely all the time. ? Facing the conflict between traditional culture and western culture, One-Child generation may easily become cynical. ? The One-Child generation seems to be more indifferent to higher ideological (意识形态上的) or political goals. Prompts-the different traits of One-Child generation ? All these may be attributed to the One-Child policy, the more doting parents, the special treatment of “little emperors”, the much closer family ties, the deep impact of western culture, the conflict of various value systems, the exposure to dazzling information, the wide use of Eproducts, the dramatic development of national economy, the prompt of consumerism, the transformation from exam-oriented education to quality education, even the appearance of social variation (such as spinsters or bachelors, gays or lesbians, single-parent or DINK family) B. After-Class Online Learning Task 1 Multiple Choice: We’re Different GenerationsObjective: Get familiarized withthe striking differences between1980s-born/Gen. Y and the past generation-Gen. X. New Words and Expressions -1? stereotype n. a fixed idea or image that many people have of a particular type of person or thing, but which is often not true in reality 模式化概念;刻板印象 racial/sexual/cultural etc ~ in the mediawomen who don't fit the ~ of the good mother~s about the elderly ? slacker n. someone who is lazy and does not do all the work they should - used to show disapproval 懒惰散漫 的人 You ~! How dare you skip off and leave me to do all the headache stuff! New Words and Expressions -2 ? motivation n. eagerness and willingness to do something without needing to be told or forced to do it 动力;积极性 efforts to improve employees' ~ Jack is an intelligent pupil, but he lacks ~.a high level of ~? whiner n. someone who love complaining in a sad, annoying voice about something 爱发牢骚的人 Even with his strong legs, a ~ cannot walk away from his inner weakness. Cultural Note- Generation X (Gen. X) ? The generation following the post-World War II baby boom, especially people born in the United States and Canada from the early 1960s to the late 1970s, who seem to lack a sense of direction in life and to feel that they have no par the young people in the 1990s, seen as not having any strong beliefs, not being involved in theirsociety, and making no plans for the future Multiple Choice-11. What are Jim and Yoko mainly talking about?A. Baby boomers.B. Echo boomers. C. Generation X. D. Different stereotypes. Multiple Choice-2 2. Why does Yoko say “Generation X is overeducated and underemployed”? A. Because they are too well-educated to find good jobs.B. Because they are mostly college students but unable to seek satisfying jobs.C. Because they desire to get further education and are in no mood to hunt jobs. D. Because they find what they?ve learned in college can?t be applied into their work. Multiple Choice-33.Which of the following statements is NOT true about Generation X?A. They complain about being labeled “Generation X”. B. They demonstrate frustration towards American society. C. They are highly-motivated to enjoy the present life. D. They sometimes go too far to start business as computer hackers. Multiple Choice-4 4. According to the conversation, whatdoes the term “McJob” imply?A. The work at Microsoft B. The work at McDonalds C. Prestigious job with a low wage D. Indecent job with a modest salary Multiple Choice-55.What?s Jim?s attitude towards echoboomers?A. Interested B. Intolerant C. Indefinite D. Indifferent Script & Answers (In the sitting room.) Yoko: Hi, Jim. What program are you watching? Jim: I?m watching 60 Minutes. Yoko: Something special? Jim: Yeah, something about echo boomers. Why not sit down and join me? (Commercials pop up on TV) Jim (Turns to Yoko): So what year were you born?Yoko: 1978. What?s up? Jim: What a pity. I belong to echo boomers, but you?re still part of the Generation X. Yoko: Generation X? I think I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it exactly means.Jim: It's basically a trendy classification for thegeneration born in the United States after 1965. It was coined in 1991 by author Douglas Coupland. Hewrote a book by that title.Yoko: So what is the distinction of the Generation X? What characterizes them? Jim: Well, they are usually college educated anddissatisfied with their careers.Yoko: So, they are basically overeducated and underemployed?Jim: Right. And they also have a pessimistic attitudetowards society. They don't see life getting any better. They?re disappointed with our society. They don't even like the label &Generation X&. Yoko: I can see why. Nobody likes to be stereotyped. ? Jim: There are actually two different stereotypesassociated with the Generation X-ers. One is theslacker image in which the individual has no motivation and is a whiner. One the other extreme is the highly educated computer hacker who has his own business. ? Yoko: So tell me some more Generation X specific terms. Jim: Sure. There's another term called &McJob& It was also coined by Coupland and refers to low-paying jobs with no prestige and no future. Yoko: Like working at McDonalds? Is that where they got the &Mc&?Jim: Exactly. And to a large extent it's true. You just can't depend on a company for lifetime employment anymore. Yoko: Then how about echo boomers? Jim: The program is still on. Take a closer look at it and you?ll figure out what they?re like. Task 2 True or False Statements: What Are Echo Boomers like?Tips:? look through the ten statements and predict whether the statements are true or false.? review some traits of echo boomers before you explore more in the following listening material. ? Make comparison point by point and reflect upon the traits of your own generation. New Words and Expressions-1 ? self-absorbed adj. interested only in yourself and the things that affect you 只顾自己的;只关心自己的 Teenagers always seem so ~. It appeared that, like other ~ children, Robbie had difficulties at a number of developmental levels. ? egocentric adj. thinking only about yourself and not about what other people might need or want 自我中 心的;利己主义的 Fox plays an ~ movie star. He was a man of undoubted genius, but bad-tempered, ~, and impossible to live with. New Words and Expressions-2 ? collaborative adj. involving, or done by, several people or groups of people working together 合作的; 协作的 coordinate the ~ effortsbe involved in ~ work/project ? enrollment n. the number of people who have arranged to join a school, university, course etc 注册人 数;入学人数 Student ~s have more than doubled. general regulation of ~ 招生简章 New Words and Expressions-3 ? cynical adj. unwilling to believe that people havegood, honest, or sincere reasons for doing something 愤世嫉俗的 a ~ view of human nature The public is ~ about election promises.? disk jockey: also DJ, someone who plays records on aradio show or in a club where you can dance (广播 电台)流行音乐播音员;流行音乐节目主持人DJ stands for disc jockey. New Words and Expressions-4? lure v. to persuade or trick somebody to go somewhere or to do something by promising them a reward 引诱;诱惑People may be ~d into buying tickets by clever advertising. Computer games are ~ing youngsters away from their lessons. ? cater n. to provide a particular group of people with the things they need or want 迎合 ~ to popular tastes 迎合大众口味~ to one?s needs 满足某人的需要Vegetarians are well ~ed for. Most perfume ads ~ to male fantasies. New Words and Expressions-5? contraception n. the practice of preventing awoman from becoming pregnant when she has sex, or the methods for doing this 避孕medical / instrumental ~The pill is a popular method of ~.? fertility n. the ability of a person, animal, or plant to produce babies, young animals, or seeds 能生育 性;可繁殖性 soil ~ 土壤肥力~ rate生育率 New Words and Expressions-6? scour v. to search very carefully and thoroughlythrough an area, a document etc (彻底地)搜寻;翻 找Her family began to ~ the countryside for a suitablehouse.? orphan adj. being a child whose parents are both dead 无双亲的;孤儿的a poor orphan girl/boy/child? helmet n. a strong hard hat that soldiers, motorcycle riders, crash the police ~ etc wear to protect their heads 头盔; 钢盔 New Words and Expressions-7 ? cafeteria n. a restaurant, often in a factory, college etc, where you choose from foods that have already been cooked and carry your own food to a table 自助餐厅 We would encourage all restaurants, ~s, delicatessens (熟食店), food vending services and convenience stores to do the same. ? hover v. to stay in one place in the air 盘旋Her younger brother ~ed in the background watching us.I noticed several reporters ~ing around outside the courtroom. T or F Statements-1T 1. Faced with cultural diversity and globalization, the ?echo boomers are the most diverse and open-mindedgeneration ever.F ? 2. Compared with their self-centered children, thebaby boomers tend to be better team players andstress more on being followers than being leaders.T 3. Anti-conventional in nature, the baby boomers used ?to be more interested in destroying things instead of constructing them. T or F Statements-2 ? F 4. Echo boomers have faith in being number oneand achieve the best performance in everythingthey?re asked to do.F ?5. Juvenile delinquency (少年犯罪) and drug abuse have always been increasing in the States, so is teen pregnancy.? T6. On the whole, the echo boomers trust the world and themselves, and are contented with themselves. T or F Statements-3F ?7. Discontented with the values of babyboomers, the echo boomers make goodfriends with their grandparents but quarrel a lot with their parents. ? F 8. The echo boomers are greatly influenced by the Internet as well as by the traditionalmedia in their consumption behavior. T or F Statements-4? T9. Different from the '60s and '70s in which contraception were promoted, people have begun to value kids again since the '80s.F ?10. Though over-protected by their parents and the people alike, the echo boomers know how tofend for themselves and feel ease when left alone. Script & Answers ? Steve Kroft: They are (also) the most diverse generation ever: 35 percent are non-white, and the most tolerant. Historian Neil Howe, along with co-author William Strauss, has made a career studying different generations. And he says all the research on echo boomers always reflects the same thing: They are much different than their self-absorbed, egocentricbaby boomer parents. ? Neil Howe: Nothing could be more antiboom than being a good team player, right? Fitting in, worrying less about leadership than follower-ship. If you go into a public school today, teamwork is stressed everywhere. Team teaching, team grading, collaborative sports, community service, service learning, student juries. I mean, thelist goes on and on. One of the impacts theboomers had…& ? Steve Kroft: Howe thinks they are more like theirgrandparents, the great World War II generation -more interested in building things up than tearing them down.? Neil Howe: When you ask kids, “What do you mosthope to achieve there?” Well, they used to say, 'I wanna be No. 1. I wanna be the best,' increasingly they're saying, 'I wanna be an effective member of the team. I wanna do everything that's required of me. ? Steve Kroft: And you can already see some results.Violent crime among teenagers is down 60 to 70percent. The use of tobacco and alcohol are at alltime lows. So is teen pregnancy. Five out of 10 echoboomers say they trust the government, andvirtually all of them trust mom and dad. ? (Steve Kroft: How many of you get along with your parents very well? All signals yes. Students? voices: I love them, naturally, totally. Steve Kroft: Are they your best friends? All signals yes. Students? voices: Yeah. Don?t want to leave home, exactly.) ? Steve Kroft: Through sheer numbers, they're beginning to change society. They have affected school construction, college enrollments, product development, and media content. And according to marketing consultant Jane Buckingham, they are changing the way things are sold, from clothing to cars, because mass marketing doesn't always reach them. ? Jane Buckingham: They're not watching thetraditional networks as much because they have somany choices. They're playing on the Internet. They're playing videogames. They're out and about,shopping a lot. So, the traditional 30-secondcommercial isn't always working the way it was. ? Steve Kroft: They are the most sophisticated generation ever when it comes to media. They create their own Web sites, make their own CDs and DVDs, and are cynical of packaged messages. ? Steve Kroft: Echo boomers have their own televisionnetwork, the WB, and their own stores, withmul}

我要回帖

更多关于 come on rock 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信