贸温州地区治疗温州青春痘倪华英就问哪家医院好?the only thing in my mind is you

How to be a Cheater: Why I Said I Never Would and Why I Did. ~ Lindsay Timmington | elephant journal
on Dec 30, 2012
I cheated on my husband.
This happened even though in my family, we were raised to believe in commitment. Particularly when it came to . Barring the three deal-breaking A’s—abuse, adultery & addiction—you stuck it out, no matter what. And until recently I reasoned away the infidelity: we were separated. He’d been cheating on me for our entire three years of marriage. I was mad. I was hurt. I was drunk. I wanted to see if he was capable of feeling the type of pain he’d forced me to live in for so long. As a yoga practitioner and certified yoga instructor I believe in the yamas–a series of guidelines for ethical living. I believe I’m a good person, kind and loving, generous and loyal. But by sleeping with another man while married I broke all of these rules. I cheated. Our marriage was only three months old when I found out about my husband’s affair. When I saw his email account left open on our computer and a bunch of emails from my best friend in his inbox, I couldn’t help it, I clicked one open. A picture popped up. It was her, facing a bathroom mirror, lifting up her shirt to expose a tan, flat belly, holding a sign that said, “I miss you.” In that split second, my life bottomed out. The only thing I knew, the only thing that mattered, the only thing I wanted anymore was to make things right with him. Two things usually happen upon a revelation of infidelity in a relationship. Either the cheater begs forgiveness or leaves. Neither of those things happened. He didn’t want to stay and he didn’t want to go. So I begged him to work things out with me and he tried, a little. It’s difficult to balance a wife and a girlfriend, I imagine. But for an entire year he continued to date her while married to me. I quickly found out that can make you crazy. Extreme bouts of paranoia, insecurity, rage, grief, pain and loneliness pressed down on me until I could no longer walk through my day as a normal person. But beneath all that my guttural instinct still screamed, “You love him! You can’t leave!” Now, what I didn’t hear that voice say, in much quieter tones was, “You’ll never find anyone else. Who else would want you?”
Had I heard that voice, had I really listened, I may have seen that I was so intent on loving him through the cheating that I was cheating on myself.
It wasn’t until he did it again that the facts started to chip away at my resolve to fix my marriage. This time he was cheating on me with a young woman we’d both befriended, taken in as our little sister and welcomed into our broken family. She acted as my support system throughout the first indiscretion and I leaned heavily on her, pouring out every thought and feeling into her open hands as I worked through my grief. I believed if I could trust anyone, it was her. Yet once again, this nagging feeling in my gut that I’d become accustomed to ignoring kept piping up, “Be careful!
Watch out!” I turned my back, unwilling to believe that anyone could witness the pain of a friend and voluntarily hurt them. Unable to believe that my husband could ever betray me again, after witnessing me collapsed on the bathroom floor, arms wrapped around the toilet, throwing up in the wake of the first betrayal. But he did. Only this time after I found out, he meekly fought for me. Lifted an arm in a half-hearted gesture to stop me from walking out the door, and that was all I needed. I folded myself into him and let his lip service, his apologies born from being exposed, drown out my voice from within that was now screaming, “You stupid fool! When will you learn? Leave him!”
We disintegrated in baby steps.
I moved away, but we stayed married. Some time apart would do us good, we both said. And I was faithful, stood by him through continued lies and broken promises, until my pain was so omnipresent, my rage so terrifying that I wanted to scratch my way out of my skin. Somehow I had to feel okay again. So I cheated—with an old boyfriend. He was someone who’d always loved me, exalted me, made me feel beautiful and smart and funny and talented and all the things I’d stopped believing about myself. I grabbed for him and held on. I cheated. I couldn’t hide it. Couldn’t lie. When my husband and I saw each other again, I cried and confessed. With a little smirk on his face he said, “I knew it.” I knew it too. I knew it was over. He’d make a mistake in cheating on me instead of leaving. I’d made a mistake in cheating on him instead of leaving. I surprised myself by filing for divorce. He surprised me by begging to begin again. The hardest thing I’ve ever done was turn my back on the man I fought for and loved fiercely for many years. I knew though, that every moment we stayed together we whittled away our ability to love. We both cheated out of fear—fear of being alone, of losing the love we knew was there, of making a huge mistake and fear of leaving the comfort and routine we had as a couple. Mostly though, we cheated because we were . For him the fear was in loving someone as much as he loved himself. For me, it was in loving myself as much as I loved him. But for both of us, it was all about fear. For six years we walked the tightrope of love and fear and never found our balance. We fell. And only when we picked ourselves up and walked away—each in our separate directions—did we truly start down the path toward love. (This is the first in a seven day, seven-part elephant love and relationships series with content partner
on the theme question, Why Do Good People Cheat?)
Relephant read:
Bonus: Maybe Tinder’s not so bad, afterall.
A recent graduate of the University of Hawaii at Manoa with a Masters degree in acting, Lindsay Timmington is also a writer, director and yoga teacher.
Lindsay believes in the transformative power of truth and strives to tell her own whenever she can. She writes at .
~ Ed: Lori Lothian
on Facebook
hot on elephant
Daily Wake-Up Call Newsletter
Get elephant's Daily Wake Up Call: a gap for inspiration & meaning in the inbox of your mind
for Elephant?
elephant journal
elephant journal is dedicated to "bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society." We're about anything that helps us to live a good life that's also good for others, and our planet. >>> Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>> elephant's been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter's Shorty Awards for #green content...two years running. >>> Get involved: > Subscribe to our free Best of the Week e-newsletter. > Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook. > Write: send article or query. > Advertise. > Pay for what you read, help indie journalism survive and thrive—and get your name/business/fave non-profit on every page . Questions? info elephantjournal com
Leave a Reply
Featured Authors
Read about
Need help?
Get Elephant Journal's DailyWake-Up Call.&&&&&&&&&&&& 2010&&
English Test 2010-10
Part I. Vocabulary and Structure (30%)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose ONE that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single LINE through the centre.
&1. &&&&dull he may be, he is certainly a very successful top executive.
&&&&&& A) Although& &&&B) Whatever& &&C) As&&& D) However
&2. The party, &&&I was the guest of honor, was extremely enjoyable.
&&&&& A) by which&& &&&B) for which&&& C) to which&& D) at which
&3. It's high time we __ cutting down the rainforests.
&&&&& A) stopped& &&&&&B) had to stop&& C) shall stop&& D) stop
&4. Susan is very hardworking, but her pay is not &&&&for her work.
&&&&& A) enough good&& B) good enough&& C) as good enough&& D) good as enough
&5. Land there is __ thing as private ownership of land.
&&&&& A) no such a&& &&&B) not such& &&&&&C) not a such&& &&&&D) no such
&6. My daughter has walked eight miles today. We never guessed that she could walk &&&&far.
&&&&& A) /& &&&&&&&&&&&&B) such& &&&&&&&&C) that&&& &&&&&&&D) as
7. There are only ten apples left in the baskets, &&&&&the spoilt ones.
&&&&& A) not counting& &&B) not to count& &&C) don't count&& &&D) having not counted
8. It was __ we had hoped
&&&&& A) more a success than&&&&& &&&&&&&&B) a success more than
&&&&& C) as much of a success as&& &&&&&&&&D) a success as much as
9. It is an offence to show &&&&&against people of different races.
&&&&& A) distinction&& &&B) difference& &&&&C) separation&&& &&D) discrimination
10. A great amount of work has gone into __ the Cathedral to its previous splendor.
&&&&& A) refreshing&& &&B) restoring&&& &&&&C) renovating&& &&&D) renewing
11. The thieves fled with the local police close on their__
&&&&& A) backs&& &&&&&&B) necks&&& &&&&&&C) toes&&& &&&&&&&D) heels
12. The economic recession has meant that job &&&&is a rare thing.&&&&&
A) security&& &&&&B) safety &&&&&&&&&C) protection&& &&&D) secureness
13. Many people nowadays save money to __ for their old age.
&&&&& A) cater&& &&&&&&B) supply&& &&&&&&&C) provide&& &&&&&&D) equip
14. The tone of the article& &&&&the writer's mood at the time.
&&&&& A) reproduced&&& B) reflected&&& &&&&C) imagined&& &&&&&D) imitated
15. The job of a student accommodation officer &&&a great many visits to landladies.
&&&&& A) concerns&&& &&B) offers&& &&&&&&&C) asks&& &&&&&&&&&D) involves
16. Our family doctor's clinic &&&&&at the junction of two busy roads.
&&&&& A) rests&& &&&&&&&&&B) stands&& &&&&&&&&C) stays &&&&&&&&&&&D) seats
17. She was so fat that she could only just &&&&through the door.
&&&&& A) assemble& &&&&&&B) appear&& &&&&&&&&C) squeeze& &&&&&&&D) gather
18. After the heavy rain, a builder was called to repair the roof, which was& &&&
&&&&& A) leaking&& &&&&&&B) trickling&& &&&&&&&C) prominent&& &&&&&D) noticeable
19. The reception was attended by &&&&&members of the local community.&&&&&&&&
A) excellent&&& &&&B) conspicuous&& &&&&C) prominent&&& &&&&&D) noticeable&&&&&&&&&&
20. Share prices on the Stock Exchange plunged sharply in the morning but &&&&slightly in the afternoon.
&&&&& A) regained&&& &&&&B) recovered&&& &&&&C) restored&&& &&&&&&&D) revived
21. His &&&brain has worked away on the idea of a universal cure.&&&&&
A) rich&&& &&&&&&&&B) quick&&& &&&&&&&C) productive&&&& &&&&D) fertile
22. The couple has donated a not &&&&amount of money to the foundation.
&&&&& A) inconsiderable&&& B) inconsiderate&& &C) inaccurate&& &&&&&&D) incomparable
23. The majority of nurses are women, but in the higher ranks of the medical profession women are in a&& .
&&&&& A) minority&& &&&&&&B) scarcity&& &&&&&&C) rarity &&&&&&&&&&&&D) minimum
24. Professor Johnson's retirement &&&&&from next January.
&&&&& A) carries into effect&& B) takes effect &&&&C) has effect&&& &&&&&D) puts into effect
25. The president explained that the purpose of taxation was to &&&&government spending.
&&&&& A) finance&& &&&&&&&&B) expand&& &&&&&&C) enlarge&& &&&&&&&&D) budget
26. The heat in summer is no less &&&&&here in this mountain region.&&&&
&&&&& A) concentrated&& &&&&B) extensive&& &&&&C) intense&& &&&&&&&&D) intensive
27. Mr. Brown's condition looks very serious and it is doubtful if he will &&&&.
&&&&& A) pull back&& &&&&&&B) pull up&& &&&&&&C) pull through&&& &&&&D) pull out
28. Since the early nineties, the trend in most businesses has been toward on-demand, always-available products and services that suit the customer's& &&&&rather than the company's.
&&&&& A) benefit&& &&&&&&&B) availability& &&&&&C) suitability&& &&&&&&D) convenience
29. The priest made the& &&&&&&of the cross when he entered the church.
&&&&& A) mark& &&&&&&&&&B) signal&& &&&&&&&&&C) sign&& &&&&&&&&&&D) gesture
30. Taking photographs is strictly& &&&&&&here, as it may damage the precious cave paintings.
&&&&& A) forbidden&& &&&&&B) rejected&&& &&&&&&C) excluded&& &&&&&&D) denied
&Part H. Reading Comprehension (40%)
Directions: There are 4 reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You should decide on the choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single LINE through the centre.
Questions 31to 35 are based on the following passage.
&& Richard, King of England from 1189 to 1199, with all his characteristic virtues and faults cast in a heroic mould, is one of the most fascinating medieval figures. He has been described as the creature and embodiment of the age of chivalry. In those days the lion was much admired in heraldry, and more than one king sought to link himself with its repute. When Richard's contemporaries called him" Coeur de Lion"(The Lion heart), they paid a lasting compliment to the king of beasts. Little did the English people owe him for his services, and heavily did they pay for his adventures. He was in England only twice for a few short months in his ten years' yet his memory has always English hearts, and seems to present throughout the centuries the pattern of the fighting man. In all deeds of prowess as well as in large schemes of war Richard shone. He was tall and delicately shaped strong in nerve and sinew, and most dexterous in arms. He rejoiced in personal combat, and regarded his opponents without malice as necessary agents in his fame He loved war, not so much for the sake of glory or political ends, but as other men love science or poetry, for the excitement of the struggle and the glow of victory. By this his whole t and united with the highest qualities of the military commander, love of war called forth all the powers of his mind and body.
&&& Although a man of blood and violence, Richard was too impetuous to be either treacherous or habitually cruel. He was as ready to forgive as he he was open-handed and mun in war circumspect in design and
in political a child, lacking in subtlety and experience. His political alliances were formed upon hi his political schemes had neither unity nor clearness of purpose. The advantages gained for him by military
were flung away through diplomatic ineptitude. When, on the journey to the East, Messina in Sicily was won by his arms he was easily persuaded to share with his polished, faithless ally, Philip Augustus, fruits of a victory which more wisely used might have foiled the French King's artful schemes. The rich and tenable acquisition of Cyprus was cast away even more easily than it was won. His life was one magnificent parade, which, when ended, left only an empty plain.
&&& In 1199, when the difficulties of raising revenue for the endless war were , good news was brought to King Richard. It was said there had been dug up near the castle of Chaluz, on the 1ands of one of his French vassals, a treasure
a group of golden images of an emperor, his wife, sons and daughters, seated round a table, also of gold, had been unearthed. The King claimed this treasure as lord paramount. The lord of Chaluz resisted the demand, and the King laid siege to his small, weak castle. On the third day, as he rode daringly, near the wall, confident in his hard-tried luck, a bolt from a crossbow struck him in the left shoulder by the neck. The wound, already deep, was aggravated by the necessary cutting out of the arrow-head. Gangrene set in, and Coeur de Lion knew that he must pay a soldier's debt. He prepared for death with fortitude and calm, and in accordance with the principles he had followed. He arranged his affairs, he divided his personal belongings among his friends or bequeathed them to charity. He declared John to be his heir, and made all present swear fealty to him. He ordered the archer who had shot the fatal bolt, and who was now a prisoner, to be brought before him. He pardoned him, and made him a gift of money. For seven years he had not confessed for fear of being compelled to be reconciled to Philip, but now he received the offices of the Church with sincere and exemplary piety, and died in the forty-second year of his age on April 6,1199, worthy, by the consent of all men, to sit with King Arthur and Roland another heroes of martial romance at some Eternal round Table, which we trust the Creator of the Universe in His comprehension will not have forgotten to&& provide. The archer was flayed alive.
& 31 " little did the English people own him for his service" (.paragraph one) means that the English&& &
& A) paid few taxes to him. &&&&&&&&&&&&&B) gave him little respect.&
C) received little protection from him.& &&D) had no real cause to feel grateful to him.
&&32. To say that his life was a "magnificent parade" (paragraph two) implies that it was to some extent&&
& A) spent chiefly at war.&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&B) impressive and admirable.&
C) lived too pompously&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&D) an empty show
& 33. Richard's behaviour as death approached showed &&&&&&
A) bravery and self-control.&&&&&&&&& &&B) Wisdom and correctness.
C) Devotion and romance.&&&&&&&&& &&D) Chivalry and charity.
34. The point of the last short paragraph is that Richard was &&&&
& A) cheated by his own successors&&&&& &
B) determined to take revenge on his enemies.
C) more generous to his enemies than his successors
&&D unable to influence the behavior of his successors..
&35. Which of the following phrase best describes Richard as seen by the author?
A) An aggressive king, too fond of war.
&&B) A brave king with minor faults.
C) A competent but cunning soldier.
D) A kind with great political skills.
Questions 36 to 40 are based on the following passage.
&&& Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones was a teenager before he saw his first cow in his first field. Born in Jamaica, the 47-year-old grew up in inner-city Birmingham before making a career as a television producer and launching his own marketing agency. But deep down he always nurtured every true Englishman’s dream of a rustic life, a dream that his wealth has allowed him to satisfy. These days he's the owner of a thriving 12-hectare farm in deepest Devon with cattle, sheep and pigs. His latest business venture: pushing his brand of Black Fanner gourmet sausages and barbecue sauces. "My background may be very urban," says Emmanuel-Jones. "But it has given me a good idea of what other urbanites want."
&&&&& And of how to sell it. Emmanuel-Jones joins a herd of wealthy fugitives from city life who are bringing a new commercial know-how to British farming. Britain's burgeoning farmers' markets -numbers have doubled to at least 500 in the last five years -- swarm with specialty cheese makers, beekeepers or organic smallholders who are redeploying the business skills they learned in the city. "Everyone in the rural community has to come to terms with the fact that things have changed." Says Emmanuel-Jones. &"You can produce the best food in the world, but if you don't know how to market it, you are wasting your time. We are helping the traditionalists to move on."
The emergence of the new class of super peasants reflects some old yearnings. If the British were the first nation to industrialize, they were also the first to head back to the land. "There is this romantic image of the countryside that is particularly English," says Alun Howkins of the University of Sussex, who reckons the population of rural England has been rising since 1911. Migration into rural areas is now running at about 100,000 a year, and the hunger for a taste of the rural life has kept land prices buoyant even as agricultural incomes tumble. About 40 percent of all farmland is now sold to "lifestyle buyers" rather than the dwindling number of traditional farmers, according to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
What's new about the latest returnees is their affluence and zeal for the business of producing quality foods, if only at a micro-level. A healthy economy and surging London house prices have helped to ease the escape of the would-be rustics. The media recognize and feed the fantasy. One of the big TV hits of recent years, the "River Cottage" series, chronicled the attempts of a London chef to run his own Dorset farm.
&&&& Naturally, the newcomers can't hope to match their City salaries, but many are happy to trade any loss of income for the extra job satisfaction. Who cares if there's no six-figure annual bonus when the land offers other incalculable compensations? Besides, the specialist producers can at least depend on a burgeoning market for their products. Today's eco-aware generation loves to seek out authentic ingredients."People like me may be making a difference in a small way," Jan McCourt a onetime investment banker now running his own 40-hectare spread in the English Midlands stocked with rare breeds.
&&&& Optimists see signs of far-reaching change: Britain isn't catching up with mainland Europe; it's leading the way. "Unlike most other countries, where artisanal food production is being eroded, here it is being recovered," says food writer Matthew Fort. "It may be the mark of the next stage of civilization that we rediscover the desirability of being a peasant." And not an investment banker.
& 36. Which of the following details of Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones is INCORRECT?
&&&& A) He was born and brought up in Birmingham.&&& B) He used to Work in the television industry.
&&& &C) He is wealthy, adventurous and aspiring.&&& &&&D) He is now selling his own quality foods.
37. Most importantly, people like Wilfred have brought to traditional British farming &&&
&&&& A) knowledge of farming.&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&B) knowledge of brand names.
C) knowledge of lifestyle.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D) knowledge of marketing,
& 38. Which of the following does NOT contribute to the emergence of a new class of farmers?
&&&& A) Strong desire for country life.&&&&&&& B) Longing for greater wealth,
&&&& C) Influence of TV productions.&&&&&&& D) Enthusiasm for quality food business.
& 39. What is seen as their additional source of new income?
&&& &A) Modem tendency to buy natural foods.&&&&&&& B) Increase in the value of land property.&&&&&&& &&&C) Raising and selling rare live stock.&&&&& &&&&&&&&D) Publicity as a result of media coverage.
& 40. The sentence in the last paragraph "...Britain isn't catching up with mainland Europe; it's leading the way" implies that &&&&
&& A) Britain has taken a different path to boost economy.&&&&&&&
B) more authentic foods are being produced in Britain.&&&&&&
C) the British are heading back to the countryside.
&& D) the Europeans are showing great interest in country life.
Questions 41 to 45 are based on the following passage
&& Hamilton isn't the only educator crossing the Atlantic. Schools in France, Egypt, Singapore, etc, have also recently made top-level hires from abroad. Higher education has become a big and competitive business nowadays, and like so many businesses, it's gone global. Yet the talent flow isn't universal. High-level personnel tend to head in only one direction: outward from America.
&& The chief reason is that American schools don't tend to seriously consider looking abroad. For example, when the board of the University of Colorado searched for a new president, it wanted a leader familiar with the state government, a major source of the university's budget. "We didn't do any global consideration," says Patricia Hayes, the board's chair. The board ultimately picked Bruce Benson, a 69-year-old Colorado businessman and political activist who is likely to do well in the main task of modem university presidents: fund-. Fund-raising is a distinctively American thing, since U.S. schools rely heavily on donations. The fund-raising ability is largely a product of experience and necessity.
&& Many European universities, meanwhile, are still mostly dependent on government funding. But government support has failed to keep pace with rising student number. The decline in government support has made funding-raising an increasing necessary ability among administrators and has hiring committees hungry for Americans.
&& In the past few years, prominent schools around the world have joined the trend. In 2003, when Cambridge University appointed Alison Richard, another former Yale provost, as its vice-chancellor, the university publicly stressed that in her previous job she had overseen "a major strengthening of Yale's financial position."
&&&&& Of course, fund-raising isn't the only skill outsiders offer. The globalization of education means more universities will be seeking heads with international experience of some kind of promote international programs and attract a global student body. Foreigners can offer a fresh perspective on established practices.
41. What is the current trend in higher education discussed in the passage?
&& A) Institutions worldwide are hiring administrators from the U.S.&&&&
B) A lot of political activists are being recruited as administrators.
C) American universities are enrolling more international students.&&&&
D) University presidents are paying more attention to funding-raising.
42. What is the chief consideration of American universities when hiring top-level administrators?
&& A) The political correctness.&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&B) Their ability to raise funds.&&&&
C) Their fame in academic circles.&&&&&&& &&&&D) Their administrative experience.
43. What do we learn about European universities from the passage?
& &A) The tuitions they charge have been rising considerably.
B) Their operation is under strict government supervision.&&&&
C) They are strengthening their position by globalization.&&&&
D) Most of their revenues come from the government.
44. Cambridge University appointed Alison Richard as its vice-chancellor chiefly because &&&.
& &A) she was known to be good at raising money&&&&
B) she could help strengthen its ties with Yale&&&&
C) she knew how to attract students overseas&&&&
D) she had boosted Yale's academic status
45. In what way do top-level administrators from abroad contribute to university development?
& &A) They can enhance the university's image.
&& B) They will bring with them more international faculty.&&&&&
C) They will view a lot of things fr&&&&&
D) They can set up new academic disciplines.
Questions 46 to 50 are based on the following passage
The distinction is between the creative mind and the critical mind. While you need to employ both to get to a finished result, they cannot work in parallel no matter how much we might like to think so.
& &Trying to criticize writing on the fly is possibly (he single greatest barrier to writing that most of us encounter- If you are listening to that 5th grade English teacher correct your grammar while you are trying to capture a fleeting thought, the thought will die. If you capture the fleeting thought and simply share it with the world in raw form, no one is likely to understand. You must learn to create first and then criticize if you want to make writing the tool for thinking that it is.
& &The practice that can help you past your learned bad habits of trying to edit as you write is what Elbow calls "free writing." In free writing, the objective is to get words down on paper non-stop, usually for 15-20 minutes. No stopping, no going back, no criticizing. The goal is to get the words flowing. As the words begin to flow, the ideas will come out from the shadows and let themselves be captured on your notepad or your screen.
& &Now you have raw materials that you can begin to work with using the critical mind that you've persuaded to sit on the side and watch quietly. Most likely, you will believe that this will take more time than you actually have and you will" end up staring blankly at the page as the deadline draws near.
&& Instead of staring at a blank screen start filling it with words no matter how bad. Halfway through your available time, stop and rework your raw writing into something closer to finished product. Move back and forth until you run out of time and the final result will most likely be far better than your current practices.
46. When the author says the creative mind and the critical mind "cannot work in parallel" (Line 4 Para. I) in the writing process, he means &&&.
&&A) no one can be both creative and critical
&&B) they cannot be regarded as equally important
C) they are in constant conflict with each other
D) one cannot use them at the same time
47. What prevents people from writing on is &&&.
A) putting their ideal in raw form
& B) attempting to edit as they write
C) ignoring grammatical soundness
D) trying to capture fleeting thoughts
48. What is the chief objective of the first stage of writing?&
A) To organize one's thoughts logically.
& B) To choose an appropriate topic.
& C) To get one's ideas down.
& D) To collect raw materials.
49. One common concern of writers about "free writing" is that &&&.
& A) it overstresses the role of the creative mind
& B) it takes too much time to edit afterwards
& C) it may bring about too much criticism
& D) it does not help them to think clearly
50. In what way does the critical mind help the writer in the writing process?&
A) It refines his writing into better shape.
& B) It helps him to come up with new ideas.&
C) It saves the writing time available to him.&
D) It allows him to sit on the side and observe.
Part III. Translation (30%)
Directions: Put the following into Chinese. Please write your translations on the Answer Sheet.
1. Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that occurs naturally in all parts of the body. Your body needs some cholesterol to work properly. But if you have too much in your blood, it can stick to the walls of your arteries. This is called plaque. Plaque can narrow your arteries or even block them. High levels of cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. Your cholesterol levels tend to rise as you get older. There are usually no signs or symptoms that you have high blood cholesterol, but it can be detected with a blood test. You are likely to have high cholesterol if members of your family have it, if you are overweight or if you eat a lot of fatty foods. You can lower your cholesterol by exercising more and eating more fruits and vegetables. You also may need to take medicine to lower your cholesterol.
&2. Drinking alcohol affects your nervous system and acts as a mild anesthetic and tranquilizer. It is harmful if consumed in large amounts. It can be an addictive substance. Continued, excessive use of alcohol can damage the liver. It can cause alcoholic hepatitisalcoholic hepatitis and a fatty liver. A fatty liver can progress to cirrhosis of the livercirrhosis of the liver, a potentially fatal condition. Alcohol increases the risk of developing cancer of the esophaguscancer of the esophagus, throat, larynx, mouth, and breast. Drinking alcohol can damage the lining of the small intestine and the stomach, which affects the body's ability to absorb essential nutrients.
&3. Anemia of inflammation and chronic disease (AI/ACD) is a type of anemia that commonly occurs with chronic, or long-term, illnesses or infections. Cancer and inflammatory disorders, in which abnormal activation of the immune system occurs, can also cause AI/ACD. Some people develop AI/ACD without having any signs of these health problems. AI/ACD is easily confused with iron-deficiency anemia because in both forms of anemia, levels of iron circulating in the blood are low. Circulating iron is necessary for RBC production. Low blood iron levels occur in iron-deficiency anemia because levels of iron stored in the body's tissues are depleted. In AI/ACD, however, iron stores are normal or high. Low blood levels occur in AI/ACD, despite normal iron stores, because inflammatory and chronic diseases interfere with the body's ability to use stored iron and absorb iron from the diet. Certain treatments for chronic diseases may also impair RBC production and contribute to AI/ACD.
& 琼ICP 备 & 地址:中国?海南?海口市海甸岛人民大道43号
技术支持:海南省海口市信息中心 &&nbsp}

我要回帖

更多关于 温州青春痘倪华英就问 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信