can youolder grandpa cockread

View this page in the Fandango app?Kids' Summer Guide: 26 New Things Families Can Watch and Read Together
"Dragons: Race to the Edge"
by Kimberly Nordyke
5/22/am PDT
The summer months go by fast for kids on school vacation &&but can seem a lot longer for parents looking for ways to keep the kiddos occupied.
But help is here. We've come up with some highlights of what's new in movies, TV, music and books aimed at kids 13 and under for rainy days or any other timeyou want to pull your hair out.
1. Inside Out (June 19)
Disney-Pixar's movie centers on Riley (who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco, and the emotions that guide her): Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. But as Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, Headquarters is embroiled in turmoil. Although Joy & Riley's main and most important emotion & tries to keep things positive, the rest of her feelings are in conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school. (Rated PG)
2. Minions (July 10)
The Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment movie focuses on the yellow creatures from the Despicable Me movies, but it's set in 1960s, decades before they met Gru. After accidentally killing off so many of their previous, despicable masters & from T. Rex to Napoleon & the Minions find themselves without a master to serve and fall into a deep depression. As they set out to find a new evil boss to follow, they run into Scarlet Overkill (Sandra Bullock), the world's first female supervillain, as their adventures find them facing their biggest challenge: saving all of Minionkind from annihilation. (Rated PG)
3. Underdogs (Aug. 14)
The Weinstein Co.'s animated comedy stars Matthew Morrison as Jake, a shy but talented foosball player whose passion for the game is rivaled only by his love for free-spirited Laura (Ariana Grande). With her encouragement, he beats the town bully, Ace (Nicholas Hoult), in a foosball game. But everything changes when Ace becomes the world's best soccer player and returns years later to turn their village into a new sports stadium. He starts to destroy everything and kidnaps Laura in the process. When the toy figures from Jake's foosball table come to life, Jake and those players embark on an adventure to save Laura and reclaim their village. (Not yet rated)
TELEVISION
4. &Summer of Sprout Family Movie Night& (May 29-Sept. 4)
Every Friday at 7 p.m., NBCUniversal's cable channel Sprout & which targets kids ages 2-6 and their parents and caregivers&& will air a movie that the entire family can watch together. Titles range from classics such as Babe and Charlotte's Web to more contemporary films like Curious George (watch the trailer below).
5. 100 Things to Do Before High School (June 6)
Nickelodeon is turning its original movie into a live-action series centering on CJ Martin (Isabela Moner), who with real life and teen drama awaiting her after eighth-grade graduation, has only a short time left to make the most of her middle school years. Together with her two lifelong best friends, she is determined to get the most out of this time, turning an ever-expanding list of challenges as a guide. 100 Things was created by Scott Fellows (Big Time Rush).
6. Phineas and Ferb series finale (June 12)
Disney XD is planning to air a 73-hour Phineas and Ferb&marathon&leading up to the series finale, &Last Day of Summer,& which also will be simulcast on Disney Channel. In the hourlong special, Phineas and Ferb's summer is finally coming to a close, and the pair decides to make the most of their last day of vacation. For sister Candace, this means it's her last day to bust her brothers.&But when her plans are ruined before breakfast, she seizes the opportunity to redo the day by setting off Dr. Doofenshmirtz's Do-Over-Inator which results in serious negative consequences like rips in the space-time continuum, the shortening of days and the disappearance of&everyday items from memory, including her brothers.& &&
7. Dr. Dimensionpants (June 13)
The series, available on Hulu, follows Kyle Lipton, who for all his life was just like the other kids & playful, happy and without a care in the world & until one day an interdimensional portal opens up and drops onto his lap a pair of glowing pants. Now Kyle is Dr. Dimensionpants, a super-hero with a super intense attitude. He finds himself facing the constant threat of inter-dimensional villains bent on destroying the universe & or at least his hometown of Ganderville.
8. Some Assembly Required (June 19)
Netflix's new live-action series follows the adventures of 14-year-old Jervis Raines, who as the new owner of Knickknack Toys, hires a group of friends from school to help him create awesome new toys.
9. Clangers (June 20)
William Shatner narrates this stop-motion animated series, a contemporary version of the BBC's 1960s show that follows the adventures of the space-dwelling Clangers&family. Clangers &&a co-production of preschooler network Sprout, Coolabi Group, Smallfilms and CBeebies & premieres on Sprout's Sunny Side Up Show on June 20 and will also run nightly within The Good Night Show.?
10. Teen Beach 2 (June 26)&
The music-filled sequel to the Disney Channel's breakout telefilm hit Teen Beach Movie &&which ranks as the second highest-rated cable television movie of all time & finds Maia Mitchell (The Fosters) and Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) reprising their roles as surfer sweethearts. Only this time, instead of being transported into a 1960s beach party movie, the duo get a visit from new film friends when they make a real-world visit in the modern day.
11. Best Friends Whenever (June 26)
Disney Channel's new live-action comedy follows best friends Shelby and Cyd, who when their aspiring scientist friend Barry's invention goes awry, gain the power to leap forward and backward in time whenever they want & and sometimes when they don't. Now they experience the twists and turns of friendship and must decide between fixing mistakes in the past or catching a glimpse of the future.
12. Dragons: Race to the Edge (June 26)
Dragons: Race to the Edge, a new Netflix original TV series based on DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon films, find Hiccup and Toothless leading the Dragon Riders as they soar beyond the borders of Berk and discover the mysterious Dragon eye & an ancient artifact filled with secrets that will lead them to new lands filled with undiscovered dragons. But the heroes find themselves pursued by marauding dragon hunters who will stop at nothing to seize the power of the Dragon Eye.
13. Kids' Choice Sports Awards (July 16)
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson & a two-time Super Bowl champion & will host the second annual awards show featuring the trademark slime from Nickelodeon's long-running Kids' Choice Awards. Kids get to vote on their favorite athletes, teams and sports moments and decide who will take home an orange mohawked blimp trophy. Last year, David Beckham was presented with the first Kids& Choice Sports Legend Award & and promptly became the first celebrity ever showered in special golden slime (with two of his sons). Who will get the honor of being covered in the goo this year?
14. Talia in the Kitchen (July 6)
Nickelodeon's new live-action series centers on 14-year-old Talia, who moves in with her grandmother and starts spending time in the kitchen of their family-owned restaurant, where she discovers her true calling: cooking. With the help of her special &salt and pepper sense&-- and her late father's magical spices--Talia is able&to&infuse emotion into her food and cook just what each customer needs.
15. Gamer's Guide to Pretty Much Everything (July)
Disney XD's live-action comedy series stars Jessie's Cameron Boyce as a teenage professional video game player who circumvents life's challenges using his gaming acumen. Boyce also co-stars in Disney's upcoming Descendants movie. (See No. 20 below.)
16. We Bare Bears (July)
Cartoon Network's latest animated series is a comedy about three bear siblings: Grizzly (Eric Edelstein), Panda (Bobby Moynihan) and Ice Bear (Demetri Martin). Each episode follows their awkward attempts at assimilating into human society, whether they're looking for food, trying to make human friends, or scheming to become internet famous.&Created by Daniel Chong&(Toy Story of Terror!),&We Bare Bears was conceived as part of Cartoon Network Studios' development program, which also created Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa, Clarence and Regular Show.
17. Ever After High Way Too Wonderland&(Aug. 14)
The popular doll franchise gets animated in Netflix's show, which see the sons and daughters of the world's most famous fairytale characters come together at the enchanted high school of Ever After High to follow in their parents' fabled footsteps. In the newest special, &Way Too Wonderland,& the Ever After High students go to Wonderland High to stop a villain stealing the Queen of Heart's crown by lifting the Wonderland Curse.
18. DinoTrux (Aug. 14)
Chris Gall's award-winning book series & about creatures that are, yep, half dinosaurs and half trucks &&becomes a Netflix original series this summer. The show, from DreamWorks Animation,follows the adventures of Ty Rux, a massive Tyrannosaurus Trux, and his best friend, Revvit, a tiny razor-smart Reptool.&Together, the Dinotrux and Reptools unite to defend their new community against D-Structs, the biggest and baddest Dinotrux of them all, who threatens to destroy everything they've built.&
19. Game Shakers (late summer/early fall)
Created by kids show hitmaker Dan Schneider, Nickelodeon's live-action sitcom follows two 12-year-old girls who start a multimillion-dollar gaming company and have no choice but to take on a rap superstar as a business partner.&Nick also is planning to release the games seen in the show through a live app.
20. Wishenpoof (August)
Written by Angela Santomero (creator of&Blue's Clues&and Super Why!) and produced by Out of the Blue Enterprises, Amazon Studios' Wishenpoof is an animated series that revolves around Bianca, who has &wish magic,& which means if she wishes to play under the sea then & wishenpoof! & she's a mermaid, swimming around with the sea horses. Bianca uses her wish magic to help others and learns to solve life's problems in her own creative way because with magic, or without, we all have the power to make good choices.
21. Disney's Descendants (premiere date TBA)
Disney Channel's original movie & a music-driven, contemporary live-action adventure-comedy &introduces Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay, the teenage progeny of Disney's villains Maleficent, the Evil Queen, Cruella de Vil and Jafar, respectively. Descendants is set in a present-day idyllic kingdom, with the benevolent teenage son of the King and Queen (Beast and Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast) poised to take the throne. His first proclamation: offer a chance at redemption to the troublemaking offspring, who have been imprisoned on a forbidden island. Kenny Ortega, who directed and choreographed Disney's High School Musical, also directs, choreographs and executive produces Descendants.
22. BUNK'D (premiere date TBA)
Disney Channel's Jessie spinoff finds Emma, Ravi and Zuri Ross (Peyton List, Karan Brar and Skai Jackson) leaving their glitzy New York penthouse and heading off to a rustic summer camp in Maine, where their parents met as teenagers.&As Emma and Ravi learn the ropes as C.I.T's (Counselors In Training) and Zuri makes new friends with the younger campers, the Ross kids adapt to their new &home away from home& and settle into their exciting new lives at Camp Kikiwaka.
23. What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss (July 28)
Twenty-four years after the death of Dr. Seuss (aka Theodor Geisel), Random House is releasing a new book by the beloved author. According to the publisher, What Pet Should I Get? focuses on a classic childhood moment & that is, choosing a pet &&and uses it to teach a life lesson about how, though it may be difficult to make up your mind, sometimes in life you just have to do it. Random House says What Pet Should I Get? was likely written between 1958-62 and features the same brother and sister featured the 1960 classic One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. What Pet Should I Get?is one of three new Dr. Suess books planned for release that are based on materials found two years ago in his home by his widow and secretary. (Ages 3-7)
24. I Am Lucille Ball by Brad Meltzer (July 14)
Meltzer & who also is author of The Culper Ring Series, among others, and host of the History Channel series Brad Meltzer's Decoded & returns with another book in his &Ordinary People Change the World& picture-book biography series for kids (previous installments published by Dial Books focused on Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Helen Keller and Abraham Lincoln). Each book focuses a character trait that made that I Am Lucille Ball shows how the legendary comedic actress used humor to take on any situation. (Ages 5-8)
25. Theodore Boone: The Fugitive by John Grisham (released May 12)
The latest installment in Grisham's popular series about a kid lawyer finds Theo facing off against an old adversary & accused mur&derer and fugitive Pete Duffy &&as he sets out to bring the killer to justice. This is the fifth book in the series from Dutton Books for Young Readers. (Ages 8-12)
26. Dork Diaries 9: Tales from a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen by Rachel Renee Russell (June 2)
Nikki Maxwell returns with more wacky tales from her diary. The latest installment in Russell's best-selling series for girls (from Aladdin) finds Nikki documenting the month of April and the adventures of her and her friends Chloe, Zoey and Brandon. (Ages 9-13)Page 1 of 5
Recent Posts
Categories
Grandpa Wiggly is a fictional character not meant to be taken too seriously.
This blog is meant for entertainment purposes only.It didn’t take long for me to devour all the episodes available on Netflix, and as I watched Groucho delivering his rapid-fire quips at the befuddled contestants, I couldn’t help thinking how amazing it was that I was sitting in the comfort of my den watching a TV show that made its debut in 1950, starring my grandfather.
But I also couldn’t stop thinking about how close every one of those classic episodes of “You Bet Your Life” came to being destroyed many years ago and how my grandfather and I managed to stop that from happening.
The year was 1973 and I was a 21-year-old right out of UCLA film school. Though most of my days were spent looking for a job, I did manage to squeeze in lunch with my 83-year-old grandfather at least once a week.
Lunches at my grandfather’s house in Beverly Hills in those days were usually full of surprises, especially since you never knew who might be there.
No longer out of the limelight, my grandfather was enjoying his status as a cultural icon now that such classic Marx Brothers films as “Duck Soup” and “A Night at the Opera” had been discovered by a whole new generation eager for something to go with the free-wheeling attitudes and politics of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. Groucho and his brothers fit the bill perfectly and my grandfather was more than happy to oblige his new-found fans, many of them Hollywood celebrities. Among my favorite celebrity sightings at my grandfather’s house in those days were Alice Cooper and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.
This particular day, my grandfather asked me to be ready to accompany him on the piano, since he planned to sing for the invited guests: Jack Nicholson, Elliott Gould and the great French mime, Marcel Marceau. As I said, you never knew who would arrive for lunch with Groucho.
And I was always happy to accompany my grandfather on the piano, as he made his way through such songs, as “Lydia, the Tattooed Lady” and “Father’s Day.” Fortunately, I got some musical ability from my mother’s side of my family – my other grandfather was the legendary songwriter, Gus Kahn, who wrote such evergreens as “It Had to Be You,” “Makin’ Whoopee” and “Dream a Little Dream.”
I was the last to arrive that day and as I entered the dining room, Nicholson, Gould and Marceau were already seated.
As I took my seat next to Nicholson, he immediately raised his wine glass and offered a toast to my grandfather. As everyone lifted their glasses, Marcel Marceau turned to my grandfather and asked, “Groucho, if you don’t mind, is it okay if I mime the wine?
My grandfather nodded in approval and sure enough, Marceau, probably the greatest mime since Charlie Chaplin, proceeded to open a non-existent bottle of wine with a non-existent corkscrew, then pour the non-existent wine into a non-existent glass. Next, he lifted the glass to toast and then took an imaginary sip. I must admit, it was one of the greatest things I had ever seen, proving once more that lunch at my grandfather’s was always full of suprises.
As Nicholson began telling everyone about his latest movie, “The Last Detail,” which would be released in a few months, the phone rang and my grandfather, never one to have his lunch or a good story interrupted, asked me to answer it.
I walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.
“Is Mr. Marx in?”, the voice at the other end said.
“Who’s calling?” I asked.
“I work at the NBC storage warehouse in Englewood Cliifs, New Jersey,” the man said. “We’ve got several boxes of 16mm reels of film from ‘You Bet Your Life’ and we were wondering if Mr. Marx wants any of it. If not, we’re going to destroy all of it tomorrow.”
“Destroy it?” I asked increduously. “Why would you do that?”
“We’re trying to clear space for the newer shows. There’s a lot of stuff from the ‘50s and ‘60s that we’re getting rid of. If Mr. Marx would like it, we’ll be happy to send all of the reels to him.”
I told the man to hang on and ran back into the dining room.
“Grandpa Groucho, there’s a man calling from the NBC warehouse in New Jersey, who says they’ve got several boxes of reels of ‘You Bet Your Life’ they’re going to destroy unless you want them.”
“Tell him to burn them for all I care,” my grandfather said, eliciting laughs from his guests. These days it was hard to tell if he was just doing his grouchy act for his invited audience or truly didn’t care.
“Grandpa, you don’t really want them doing the same thing they did to Oscar Levant’s show,” I said, referring to what had happened to all the copies of his good friend, Oscar Levant’s classic show from the ‘50s, “Information, Please,” when all of the kinescopes that existed were destoyed.
“He’s right,” Nicholson chimed in. “Groucho, that stuff is classic. Listen to your grandson. Let them send the reels to you.”
“Alright,” my grandfather said. “Maybe it’ll be fun to watch them again.”
Excited, I ran back and told the man to send the boxes to my grandfather’s house. And though my grandfather didn’t seem terribly excited about the prospect of getting a few boxes of 16mm prints, I couldn’t wait. My grandfather had a small screening room in his house with a 16mm projector and I figured I’d spend an afternoon watching the episodes that were now on their way to Beverly Hills.
As it turned out, it would take more than an afternoon to watch the episodes. Two weeks later, I got a call from my grandfather, who sounded more than a little angry.
“Get over here right now,” he growled. “There are five UPS trucks in front of my house. Each one of them is filled with boxes of 16mm reels of “You Bet Your Life.”
I rushed over to my grandfather’s house and sure enough, there were five UPS trucks parked in front. Each driver was wheeling dozens of boxes of film into the house.
“Where would you like us to put all of this?” one of the drivers asked me. “There are over 500 boxes and each box contains ten reels of film.”
5,000 reels of film, I thought to myself, as I watched the small army of UPS drivers putting boxes in any empty space they could find, including a now-vacated bedroom that once belonged to Groucho’s last wife from whom he was now divorced. I couldn’t help thinking this was beginning to resemble a scene from a Marx Brothers film, as boxes of film were stacked to the ceiling, literally taking up entire rooms. I also thought back to the man from NBC, who told me there were “a few boxes of film,” an understatement if ever there was one.
By the time the UPS drivers left later that day, my grandfather’s house – which was quite large – was filled from end to end with boxes of “You Bet Your Life” reels. And even though I knew my grandfather was angry, I was grateful that we had managed to save “You Bet Your Life” from extinction by NBC.
A month later, in early 1974, after checking the contents of the over 500 boxes and doing a little investigating, I had figured out that NBC had not only sent every reel of the original “You Bet Your Life” show, but also all the copies of “The Best of Groucho,” a syndicated version that included the show’s greatest episodes culled from the show’s original run.
Realizing there was a treasure trove of classic TV sitting in my grandfather’s house, I had a hunch that maybe other people besides myself would be interested in seeing some, if not all of it. After all, interest in Groucho was at a fever pitch, as the honors and accolades poured in from around the world -- the Marx Brothers were even set to receive an honorary Academy Award that year.
It turned out I was right. The next day, I, along with John Guedel, the show’s creator and producer were sitting in an office at local station KTLA, where we pitched the head of programming our idea of running “The Best of Groucho” in one of their latenight timeslots. Though the executive loved the idea, he had one demand: Someone was going to have to go through every show, so they would have an idea of what they were running.
That someone turned out to be me. As I said earlier, I had been looking for a job and now I had one. I was paid $150 a week and my duties consisted of spending eight hours a day at my grandfather’s house, watching as many episodes as possible and archiving every one. As an added bonus, I ate lunch with my grandfather every day and he even took time to watch several episodes a day himself. I never told anyone, but I probably would’ve paid them $150 a a week to let me do it.
Two months later, “The Best of Groucho” appeared on KTLA, the same week my grandfather received his honorary Academy Award, and was soon running on hundreds of stations throughout the country. Since then, the shows have been released on VHS, DVD and now the various streaming services for many millions to enjoy, all because of a phone call from some guy working in a warehouse in New Jersey asking if we wanted him to send us some 16mm reels of “You Bet Your Life.”
Am I glad I happened to answer that phone call that day? What else can I say but, “you bet your life,” I am.
Andy Marx is a writer and photographer living in Los Angeles. He can reached through his website, . to his other grandfather, Gus Kahn.
You’d be forgiven for thinking the videocassette format long-dead, but it turns out that Betamax is still around. Sony is finally going to withdraw tapes from sale, bringing a 40-year story to an end. The last recorders were sold in 2002. ベータビデオカセットおよびマイクロMVカセットテープ出荷終了のお知らせ [S via The Verge]
A leaked Comcast memo discloses that the company’s consumer data caps have nothing to do with network congestion, contrary to its public claims. The internet service provider has often complained (such as when lobbying against net neutrality) that it must impose limits on service to prevent network congestion. The argument suggests that these measures are [&]
LA Makerspace co-founder Tara Tiger Brown shares a project that her kid-friendly maker workshop is trying to make a reality.
Remember the glory days of playing Super Nintendo on that classic gray controller with its signature purple push buttons? Yeah, we do too. 8Bitdo is bringing the 8-bit gaming vibe back with the SNES30, a 1:1 original design that supports both Bluetooth and USB connections.
Say goodbye to your annoying, bulky key ring. KeySmart ($15.99) organizes your keys in one convenient, compact, and lightweight place. The extended frame lets you easily attach longer and foreign keys, and the included expansion pack can hold up to 10 keys, rather than just four. This handy gadget is meticulously designed to allow for quick and easy [&]
Extensive 12-Week Online Program to Learn to Code. Love Your Job, Work Flexible Hours, & Get a Raise.Become a job-ready developer by building a portfolio of real-world apps and interacting 1-on-1 with the best mentors in the field. This Interactive Coding Bootcamp ($39) is as robust as it gets, including live instruction and job-hunting assistance, [&]}

我要回帖

更多关于 old man vs grandpa 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信