parents should be careful not to engage inyour chi

Richard II: Entire Play
The Life and Death of Richard the Second
| Entire play
SCENE I. London. KING RICHARD II's palace.
Enter KING RICHARD II, JOHN OF GAUNT, with other Nobles and Attendants
Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE and THOMAS MOWBRAY
Exit JOHN OF GAUNT
SCENE II. The DUKE OF LANCASTER'S palace.
Enter JOHN OF GAUNT with DUCHESS
SCENE III. The lists at Coventry.
Enter the Lord Marshal and the DUKE OF AUMERLE
The trumpets sound, and KING RICHARD enters with
his nobles, JOHN OF GAUNT, BUSHY, BAGOT, GREEN, and
others. When they are set, enter THOMAS MOWBRAY in arms, defendant, with a Herald
The trumpets sound. Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE, appellant, in armour, with a Herald
A charge sounded
A long flourish
To HENRY BOLINGBROKE
Flourish. Exeunt KING RICHARD II and train
SCENE IV. The court.
Enter KING RICHARD II, with BAGOT and GREEN and the DUKE OF AUMERLE at another
Enter BUSHY
SCENE I. Ely House.
Enter JOHN OF GAUNT sick, with the DUKE OF YORK, & c
Enter KING RICHARD II and QUEEN, DUKE OF AUMERLE,
BUSHY, GREEN, BAGOT, LORD ROSS, and LORD WILLOUGHBY
Exit, borne off by his Attendants
Enter NORTHUMBERLAND
Flourish. Exeunt KING RICHARD II, QUEEN, DUKE OF AUMERLE, BUSHY, GREEN, and BAGOT
SCENE II. The palace.
Enter QUEEN, BUSHY, and BAGOT
Enter GREEN
Enter DUKE OF YORK
Enter a Servant
Exit Servant
Exeunt DUKE OF YORK and QUEEN
SCENE III. Wilds in Gloucestershire.
Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE and NORTHUMBERLAND, with Forces
Enter HENRY PERCY
Enter LORD ROSS and LORD WILLOUGHBY
Enter LORD BERKELEY
Enter DUKE OF YORK attended
SCENE IV. A camp in Wales.
Enter EARL OF SALISBURY and a Welsh Captain
SCENE I. Bristol. Before the castle.
Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE, DUKE OF YORK,
NORTHUMBERLAND, LORD ROSS, HENRY PERCY, LORD WILLOUGHBY, with BUSHY and GREEN, prisoners
Exeunt NORTHUMBERLAND and others, with the prisoners
SCENE II. The coast of Wales. A castle in view.
D flourish and colours. Enter KING RICHARD II, the BISHOP OF CARLISLE, DUKE OF AUMERLE, and Soldiers
Enter EARL OF SALISBURY
Enter SIR STEPHEN SCROOP
To DUKE OF AUMERLE
SCENE III. Wales. Before Flint castle.
Enter, with drum and colours, HENRY BOLINGBROKE, DUKE OF YORK, NORTHUMBERLAND, Attendants, and forces
Enter HENRY PERCY
Parle without, and answer within. Then a flourish.
Enter on the walls, KING RICHARD II, the BISHOP OF
CARLISLE, DUKE OF AUMERLE, SIR STEPHEN SCROOP, and EARL OF SALISBURY
To NORTHUMBERLAND
To DUKE OF AUMERLE
Exeunt from above
Enter KING RICHARD and his attendants below
He kneels down
Flourish. Exeunt
SCENE IV. LANGLEY. The DUKE OF YORK's garden.
Enter the QUEEN and two Ladies
Enter a Gardener, and two Servants
QUEEN and Ladies retire
Coming forward
Exeunt QUEEN and Ladies
SCENE I. Westminster Hall.
Enter, as to the Parliament, HENRY BOLINGBROKE,
DUKE OF AUMERLE, NORTHUMBERLAND, HENRY PERCY, LORD
FITZWATER, DUKE OF SURREY, the BISHOP OF CARLISLE,
the Abbot Of Westminster, and another Lord, Herald, Officers, and BAGOT
Enter DUKE OF YORK, attended
Re-enter DUKE OF YORK, with KING RICHARD II, and Officers bearing the regalia
Exit an attendant
Re-enter Attendant, with a glass
Dashes the glass against the ground
Exeunt KING RICHARD II, some Lords, and a Guard
Exeunt all except the BISHOP OF CARLISLE, the Abbot of Westminster, and DUKE OF AUMERLE
SCENE I. London. A street leading to the Tower.
Enter QUEEN and Ladies
Enter KING RICHARD II and Guard
Enter NORTHUMBERLAND and others
SCENE II. The DUKE OF YORK's palace.
Enter DUKE OF YORK and DUCHESS OF YORK
Enter DUKE OF AUMERLE
He plucks it out of his bosom and reads it
Enter a Servant
Re-enter Servant with boots
SCENE III. A royal palace.
Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE, HENRY PERCY, and other Lords
Enter DUKE OF AUMERLE
Exeunt HENRY PERCY and Lords
Enter DUKE OF YORK
Enter DUCHESS OF YORK
SCENE IV. The same.
Enter EXTON and Servant
SCENE V. Pomfret castle.
Enter KING RICHARD
Enter a Groom of the Stable
Enter Keeper, with a dish
Beats the keeper
Enter EXTON and Servants, armed
Snatching an axe from a Servant and killing him
He kills another. Then Exton strikes him down
SCENE VI. Windsor castle.
Flourish. Enter HENRY BOLINGBROKE, DUKE OF YORK, with other Lords, and Attendants
Enter NORTHUMBERLAND
Enter LORD FITZWATER
Enter HENRY PERCY, and the BISHOP OF CARLISLE
Enter EXTON, with persons bearing a coffin四册期中口语_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
四册期中口语
上传于||暂无简介
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用0下载券
想免费下载更多文档?
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩6页未读,继续阅读
你可能喜欢No, the CDC did not just apologize and admit that this year’s flu vaccine doesn’t work, part 2 – Respectful Insolence
It looks like this year’s going to be a bad flu season.
Hard as it is for me to believe, it was only five weeks ago when I
that this year’s flu vaccine would likely be less effective because it isn’t a good match for the influenza strains in circulation this year. Those familiar with how the flu vaccine is developed every year know that the composition of the vaccine depends on the WHO’s choice of the three or four strains that its experts deem most likely to cause significant human suffering and death in the coming flu season. Basically, the WHO has to make an educated guess many months in advance about what strains will be circulating during next year’s flu season. When it guesses well, the flu vaccine is pretty effective. When it guesses poorly, not so much. Every year, even with the most careful deliberations going into making the choice of strains of flu virus to include in the vaccine, it’s always a bit of a crapshoot.
The reason is antigenic drift. This year, it just so happens that a strain of H3N2 is the predominant strain circulating in the population. Unfortunately, H3N2 has undergone drift, such that the strains in circulation now are different than the H3N2 strain chosen to be part of the flu vaccine and thus a poor match. The current H3N2 strains didn’t make an appearance until it was too late to alter the formulation of the flu vaccine, and they had increased greatly by September. Basically, only 48% of the circulating H3N2 strains causing most of the disease are a good match.
Unfortunately, yesterday we learned that this year it’s even worse than expected. When I said that the , it was true. However, there’s no denying that this year’s flu vaccine has been quite disappointing as measured by a the CDC’s most recent study of vaccine effectiveness (VE), which the CDC has been carrying out each year since 2004. According to a , year’s VE study revealed:
A report published in the January 16 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) estimates that getting a flu vaccine this season reduced a person’s risk of having to go to the doctor because of flu by 23 percent among people of all ages.
Since CDC began conducting annual flu vaccine effectiveness (VE) studies in , overall estimates for each season have ranged from 10 percent to 60 percent effectiveness in preventing medical visits associated with seasonal influenza illness. The MMWR report says this season’s vaccine offers reduced protection and this underscores the need for additional prevention and treatment efforts this season, including the appropriate use of influenza antiviral medications for treatment.
“Physicians should be aware that all hospitalized patients and all outpatients at high risk for serious complications should be treated as soon as possible with one of three available influenza antiviral medications if influenza is suspected, regardless of a patient’s vaccination status and without waiting for confirmatory testing,” says Joe Bresee, branch chief in CDC’s Influenza Division. “Health care providers should advise patients at high risk to call promptly if they get symptoms of influenza.”
Note that, in this case, effectiveness means “real world” effectiveness, as compared to efficacy, which refers to how well a treatment does in a randomized clinical trial. Naturally, this news has produced headlines such as:
Well, you get the idea.
So how did the CDC come up with this estimate? This .:
Patients aged ≥6 months were enrolled when seeking outpatient medical care for an ARI with cough at study sites in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.* Study enrollment began once laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza were identified through local surveillance. Trained study staff members reviewed appointment schedules and chief complaints to identify patients with ARI. Patients were eligible for enrollment if they 1) were aged ≥6 months on September 1, 2014, and thus elig 2) reported an ARI with cough and onset ≤7 and 3) had not yet been treated with influenza antiviral medication (e.g., oseltamivir) during this illness. Consenting participants completed an enrollment interview. Nasal and oropharyngeal swabs were collected from each patient and placed together in a single cryovial with viral transport medium. Only nasal swabs were collected for patients aged &2 years. Specimens were tested at Flu VE laboratories using CDC’s real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) protocol for detection and identification of influenza viruses.
Participants were considered vaccinated if they received ≥1 dose of any seasonal influenza vaccine ≥14 days before illness onset, according to medical records and registries (at the Wisconsin site) or medical records and self-report (at the Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington sites). Vaccine effectiveness was estimated as 100% x (1 – odds ratio [ratio of odds of being vaccinated among outpatients with influenza-positive test results to the odds of being vaccinated among outpatients with influenza-negative test results]); odds ratios were estimated using logistic regression. Estimates were adjusted for study site, age, sex, race/ethnicity, self-rated health, and days from illness onset to enrollment. These early interim VE estimates for the 2014–15 season were based on patients enrolled through January 2, 2015.
To boil it down, the CDC enrolled patients who sought care for an acute respiratory illness with cough and determined what percentage of those who tested positive for flu and those who did not had been vaccinated. In essence, this is a prospective test-negative case-control design. Basically, controls were patients with a medically attended ARI who tested negative for the flu virus, while cases were patients who tested positive. The primary exposure of interest was, of course, the flu vaccine. The idea of this study is to determine whether a higher proportion of people who tested negative for the flu were vaccinated than those who tested positive.
One thing that should be pointed out. This study design does not answer the question that most people are interested in: If I get the flu vaccine, what by how much does it reduce my chances of getting the flu? Remember, this patient population consists of people who have an ARI with cough severe enough that they sought medical help for it. Of course, these people almost certainly don’t have the flu, given that by definition they have no symptoms. On the other hand this study says nothing about people with the flu or ARIs who don’t seek medical care, nor does it say anything about the ability of this vaccine to prevent severe disease, hospitalization, and death. Still, as a quick measure of effectiveness after the flu season is only halfway over, it’s not bad. Think of it this way. To determine the absolute efficacy of the flu vaccine would require following a huge number of people, vaccinated and unvaccinated, given that in an average flu season around 2% of the population will get the flu, and seeing who does and doesn’t get the flu that year. To reliably detect, say, a 50% reduction in flu would require thousands of people. Under the CDC’s study design, of people showing up at a clinic during flu season, many more will a so a determination of flu vaccine effectiveness can be made with a lot fewer people.
In this case, there were 2,321 children and adults with AR enrolled in the various study sites, and 950 (41%) tested positive for the influenza virus by PCR. Among patients who tested positive for the flu, 49% had been vaccinated, while 56% of who tested negative were vaccinated.
After the CDC adjusted for study site, age, sex, race/ethnicity, self-rated health, and days from illness onset to enrollment, the VE against medically attended ARI attributable to influenza A and B virus infections was 23% (CI = 8%–36%). Depending on age range,
ranged from :
Another factor that influences how well the flu vaccine works is the age and health of the person being vaccinated. In general, the flu vaccine works best in young, healthy people and is less effective in people 65 and older. This pattern is reflected in the current season early estimates for VE against H3N2 viruses. VE against H3N2 viruses was highest — 26 percent — for children age 6 months through 17 years. While not statistically significant, VE estimates against H3N2 viruses for other age groups were 12 percent for ages 18 to 49 years and 14 percent for people age 50 years and older.
CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine even during season’s when drifted viruses are circulating because vaccination can still prevent some infections and can reduce severe disease that can lead to hospitalization and death. Also, the flu vaccine is designed to protect against three or four influenza viruses and some of these other viruses may circulate later in the season.
The bottom line, obviously, is that so far this season the flu vaccine isn’t the greatest. Still, it offers some protection and, given how safe the vaccine is, there’s no compelling reason not to get it.
Clearly, what is needed is a much better flu vaccine. No one has ever denied that. However, the fact that some years the vaccine is not very effective because the strains used to make the vaccine don’t match the circulating strains very well because the WHO guessed wrong last February doesn’t mean that vaccines don’t work. All it means is that this vaccine is not s good as many other vaccines because of the inherent difficulties involved in making an effective flu vaccine that are a consequence of its biology, specifically its ability to mutate that results in drift, such as what occurred this year.
It’s only about a month until the WHO has to pick the strains to include in next year’s flu vaccine. Certainly, the committee tasked with choosing the strains will include the drifted H3N2 strain, but who knows if that will be the dominant strain next year. One thing’s for sure: I don’t envy the people who have to come up with these recommendations. In years when the vaccine is good, there’s no glory and the antivaccine movement attacks their vaccine, but in years when it’s bad they can expect nothing but opprobrium directed at the vaccine without even the personal satisfaction of having produced a highly effective vaccine.
Certain viruses are just incredibly difficult to design effective vaccines against. Unfortunately, influenza is one of them. Just because its efficacy varies from year to year and this year appears to be significantly lower than average is not evidence that vaccines are harmful or don’t work. It’s just that this vaccine isn’t the greatest, something that’s always been acknowledged. Next year, it’s likely to be much better. Until a vaccine is developed that targets a relatively invariant part of the virus and is thus universal, this is likely to be the case. Fortunately, scientists appear to be getting
to a universal flu vaccine.
January 29, 2015
“I don’t have a Theory”
Sure you do– in your Theory, there’s no such thing as SI, so everyone has an equal chance of getting the flu with respect to immunity.
That’s case 1.
In case 2, the Theory would say there *are* SI people. And so you couldn’t calculate the probabilities assuming randomness with respect to immunity using the entire population.
New comments have been temporarily disabled.
Please check back soon.
Subscribe via:
Recent Insolence delivered
A characteristic of real doctors and real health care providers is that they usually don’t sell&
Many are the bizarre, dubious, and downright crappy acupuncture studies that I’ve deconstructed over the years.&
During the political battle last year over the recently implemented California law SB 277, which eliminates&
After writing about the failure of state medical boards to discipline physicians who practice quackery and&
Many are the times that I’ve discussed the issue of quack doctors. I’m not just referring&
I’ve frequently referred to “integrative medicine” as the “integration” of quackery with conventional, science-based medicine for&
As long as there have been vaccinations, there has been an antivaccine movement, and as long&
I was originally going to write this post for the 4th of July, given the subject&
I’ve discovered an antivaccine loon I’ve never encountered before. At least, if I have encountered him,&
I’ve frequently said that a tendency towards pseudoscience knows no political boundary. For example, antivaccine views,&
It’s always nice when I learn that a target of my—shall we say?—Insolence takes note of&
Back in December, I wrote about a phenomenon that I had observed from the very beginning&
Schedule of Insolence
January 2015
Categories
Select Month
August 2016 &(3)
July 2016 &(20)
June 2016 &(22)
May 2016 &(21)
April 2016 &(20)
March 2016 &(25)
February 2016 &(19)
January 2016 &(21)
December 2015 &(21)
November 2015 &(20)
October 2015 &(21)
September 2015 &(21)
August 2015 &(21)
July 2015 &(24)
June 2015 &(21)
May 2015 &(21)
April 2015 &(20)
March 2015 &(22)
February 2015 &(20)
January 2015 &(21)
December 2014 &(21)
November 2014 &(19)
October 2014 &(25)
September 2014 &(24)
August 2014 &(21)
July 2014 &(24)
June 2014 &(23)
May 2014 &(21)
April 2014 &(22)
March 2014 &(24)
February 2014 &(20)
January 2014 &(22)
December 2013 &(20)
November 2013 &(23)
October 2013 &(24)
September 2013 &(22)
August 2013 &(21)
July 2013 &(23)
June 2013 &(21)
May 2013 &(23)
April 2013 &(25)
March 2013 &(22)
February 2013 &(22)
January 2013 &(25)
December 2012 &(21)
November 2012 &(22)
October 2012 &(24)
September 2012 &(23)
August 2012 &(24)
July 2012 &(22)
June 2012 &(27)
May 2012 &(24)
April 2012 &(25)
March 2012 &(24)
February 2012 &(23)
January 2012 &(30)
December 2011 &(30)
November 2011 &(25)
October 2011 &(24)
September 2011 &(26)
August 2011 &(30)
July 2011 &(25)
June 2011 &(30)
May 2011 &(33)
April 2011 &(36)
March 2011 &(39)
February 2011 &(32)
January 2011 &(36)
December 2010 &(31)
November 2010 &(33)
October 2010 &(38)
September 2010 &(33)
August 2010 &(35)
July 2010 &(46)
June 2010 &(39)
May 2010 &(41)
April 2010 &(43)
March 2010 &(46)
February 2010 &(44)
January 2010 &(45)
December 2009 &(44)
November 2009 &(43)
October 2009 &(52)
September 2009 &(52)
August 2009 &(48)
July 2009 &(56)
June 2009 &(48)
May 2009 &(50)
April 2009 &(48)
March 2009 &(53)
February 2009 &(48)
January 2009 &(58)
December 2008 &(54)
November 2008 &(51)
October 2008 &(59)
September 2008 &(59)
August 2008 &(69)
July 2008 &(50)
June 2008 &(63)
May 2008 &(66)
April 2008 &(59)
March 2008 &(60)
February 2008 &(58)
January 2008 &(72)
December 2007 &(72)
November 2007 &(70)
October 2007 &(76)
September 2007 &(69)
August 2007 &(83)
July 2007 &(86)
June 2007 &(83)
May 2007 &(89)
April 2007 &(88)
March 2007 &(85)
February 2007 &(64)
January 2007 &(85)
December 2006 &(96)
November 2006 &(87)
October 2006 &(86)
September 2006 &(77)
August 2006 &(88)
July 2006 &(82)
June 2006 &(77)
May 2006 &(81)
April 2006 &(73)
March 2006 &(98)
February 2006 &(55)Open memo to Father Ejike Mbaka from Proph. Ugo Wems.
& 4:47 am 696 comments
“Mbaka my boy, I call you my boy because I’ve started preaching before you went to seminary school .your position today and your elevation in catholic order was not by your merits but you are favoured into that height .In the same manner Goodluck may not merit to be president of this country but watch out mark my word today just like I told you far back when you swore to your members against Chimaroke Nnamani that he will never become a governor the second time and you swore before your people that if he comes back again as a governor that you will derobe yourself of your priesthood and that they should all know that you are not a priest. Chimaroke went back and finished his tenure which gave birth to what we are all enjoying today in Sullivan chime regime. I’ve waited for you to derobe yourself which you’ve not done.
Take my word again, Jonathan will be favoured back to government again not by merit but by unmerited favour. Be wise and don’t destroy your people but to your congregants I say this: whosoever that wants to consult an oracle should firstly consult his senses please be freed from the Rechabite spirit .”
Just incase you are wondering where this came from, its a response to Father Ejike Mbaka’s end of year mass sermon where he was said to have reversed his support for President Goodluck Jonathan over his inability to stop corruption and loss of innocent lives.
In the sermon themed “From Good luck to Bad luck,” Rev. Father Mbaka, Founder of Adoration Ministry, Enugu said Jonathan has surrounded himself with very corrupt public officials. As a result, he said, the President has turned a blind eye to their corrupt activities while millions of Nigerians suffer daily in abject poverty and endless insecurity.
CONTENT DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author do not necessarily state or represent
those . We are also not responsible for the content of comments posted
or for anything arising out of use of the comments
or other interaction among the users. Please be civil and courteous to others at all times and refrain from using profanity. Entries found to contain obscene or threatening language will be deleted.Responses
What do you think?
Name required
Email required
CAPTCHA Code *
PREVIOUS BLOG ENTRIES
PREVIOUS BLOG ENTRIES
Select Month
August 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016